A Celebration Appreciation Thread!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:16 PM
A Celebration Appreciation Thread!!!

When i first became a U2 fanatic in 1987 i read and read so much about them, I bought all their albums, videos etc read all i could. I kept hearing about this track, A Celebration.
I couldnt find it anywhere, I heard so many great things about it, it attained an almost mythical status in my mind.
Then finally on BBC Radio 1 they played a documentary called the rise and rise of U2 and low and behold, they played A celebration.
The sound just exploded in my head!! It was far better than I'd imagined. SO raw and powerful, the guitar riff is one of the Edge's best ever. A nice departure from October and introduction to War.
I think A Celebration is an almost perfect creation.
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:16 PM
A Celebration is also one of my favourite U2 songs too! Infact I love it so much that I've posted the video on myspace web page!
But for those of you who haven't seen it, check it out here:-

Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oh yes!!
I forgot to mention that it also has one of the most amazing videos of all time!
Check out those Red Trousers Bono's wearing, Adams perm, horse racing tinker kids AND those space age state of the art effects!!
Seriously though, I love the video as much as I love the song!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:16 AM

This song is great! I like to put it on mix CDs for people.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:16 PM
I've always wondered what the whole 'concept' of the video was!?! Apart from lowest budget possible, and who on earth picked those red trousers for Bono to wear?!? Bet he wouldn't be seen dead in them now!?! But you gotta love it, eh!! There's a true greatness in this song, the sound of things to come!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 AM
I'm in love with that song, damn it, U2 knew how to ROCK in the early days

I saw the video for the first time a long time ago, when (I have to admit) I knew just a bit about the early days, you know, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and no more than that

After watching and listening to this song I started to get into the early albums. I discovered wonderful stuff in Gloria, The Electric Co, Surrender, Out Of Control, etc, etc

It's such a pity U2 are clearly ashamed of October and post October days They didn't even include Gloria on The Best of 1980-1990 and it's quite possible when they release it on DVD they`ll include some other videos like In God's Country, Red Hill Mining Town, God Part II, etc ... but no Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Celebration, etc
Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hcbiggs2002
I've always wondered what the whole 'concept' of the video was!?! Apart from lowest budget possible,

I bet that had a lot to do with it. I do love the song though, and the video is hilarious.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
New Yorker

Al join the A Celebration Appreciation society too pls.
I rekon that is u2s best attempt at an old fasioned 45 pop record!
I remember this record being something akin to the holy grail in first half of 80s, certainly where i live. Then I got my copy on 7" vinyl. Still got it at my dads. Except he has dissowned me so it may well be binned along wi all my substantial u2 vinyl collection including many harder to get items. GAWD i hpe not.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
I'm in love with that song, damn it, U2 knew how to ROCK in the early days

I saw the video for the first time a long time ago, when (I have to admit) I knew just a bit about the early days, you know, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and no more than that

After watching and listening to this song I started to get into the early albums. I discovered wonderful stuff in Gloria, The Electric Co, Surrender, Out Of Control, etc, etc

It's such a pity U2 are clearly ashamed of October and post October days They didn't even include Gloria on The Best of 1980-1990 and it's quite possible when they release it on DVD they`ll include some other videos like In God's Country, Red Hill Mining Town, God Part II, etc ... but no Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Celebration, etc
Sad but true, the videos to Gloria, 2 hearts etc are absolutely fantastic, there was a great"live" version of Fire on top of the pops(UK) that i had on video, i bet that wont be on there either...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:16 AM
I've been a fan for almost 20 years, but I didn't hear A Celebration until about three or four years ago when VH1 Classic played the video in all its cheesy, low-rent glory. I love this song so much! It's pure adrenailine and Edge's guitar riff is so perfect. Unfortunately, U2 seems to have forgotten this song's existence.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

U2 turning into beams of light at a prison

underrated song in every sense
Old 08-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 06:16 AM
I must admit, A Celebration is one of my favorites from the early 80s. I tend to forget about it because it's not on an album. They really should bring this one back live. Never gonna happen though. Of course I would have said the same thing about ACD/ITH.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #13
The Fly

Most certainly one of my favorite U2 songs. I remember learning that the song and the video existed when I was a sophomore in high school. That summer(this was in 1988)USA Network had a late night music show called Night Flight. One night, Night Flight did a two hour special on U2. All they played were U2 videos and the 3rd video into the show was A Celebration. The narrator introduced the video as "the rarely seen clip, A Celebratioin". Fortunately I was prepared and was recording the 2 hour show and when Celebration came on, I went ape sh*t. I fell in love with the song right away and I watched the video over and over. It was from that evening that I started my quest to find the 7" single. It took me fours years of hunting, but in 1992 at a record show, I scored the single(along with a few others). One of the happiest days of my U2 collecting career. Still a kick-butt song IMO!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 08:16 AM
I love this song too.
The video is pretty funny. My favorite part is when Adam and Larry come out of the door/ vortex thing. That part looks like something out of Ghostbusters. They probably spent most of thier budget on that "special" effect.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Shake! Shake!

It's a great song. Hilarious video. I would like to see their reactions to watch it now

I wish it were more widely released.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #16
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

i think larry had the master tapes to the video destroyed in a glorious backyard bonfire.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks to this thread I now have A Celebration stuck in my head.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #18
War Child

im writing this while a celebration is playing on repeat!!! i love this song and the rather cheesey video. i saw a performance of it on you tube while adam singing the "SHAKE! SHAKE!" part!! too bad u2 dont feel the same way as i do
Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #19
The Fly

A Celebration is the song that made me a U2 fan. I had heard songs from the first 2 albums, but AC really did it for me. I was disappointed when it didn't appear on any albums. It took me 15 years before I could get my hands on the song-I bought a 45 single from someone in 1995 at the very beginnings of the blue crack! Now the only copy I have is on a bootleg b-sides cd.
I still listen to the song at least once every couple of months especially when I get in a funky mood and listening to U2 will get me out of it.

And I remember that Night Flight U2 special too!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 AM
WATCH THIS

where's the full concert, damn it?