A band with something to say...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Ok... lemme try to start some enlightened discussion.

What active bands out there have something intelligent to say?

IMO, all the good bands that had something to say are all gone, except of course U2. Now we just have rock whiners like Limp Bizkit and Staind.

Discuss.

what do you mean? do you mean a "good message" as in human rights, etc., or do you mean just intelligent lyrics?

or are you talking about how the bands conducts itself in interviews?

well anyway, there are a lot of very intelligent bands that are around right now, but you will need to turn off the radio, or move to the U.K.

but right now as we speak, bands like Elbow, Doves, Electric Soft Parade, Muse, Badly Drawn Boy and countless others are making very intelligent music

and Radiohead is saying quite a lot too, for those of you that can get past their "weirdness" for a minute to see what's going on

Oh, it's hard enough to find _people_ with things to say. I just like bands that don't make asses of themselves. :) But yes, I'll second Pearl Jam, who have always had a good deal of integrity and rocked all the same.

typhoon said:
Oh, it's hard enough to find _people_ with things to say. I just like bands that don't make asses of themselves. :) But yes, I'll second Pearl Jam, who have always had a good deal of integrity and rocked all the same.

Hey, a third for Pearl Jam!:yes: :yes:

Sorry but for me music is for entertainment and I dont expect "bands" to educate me.This includes U2.I like what they are doing, but I am not into them because they are doing this. The idea that they make a music that somehow means so much to me and the life I live, makes me crazy about them. Its just not the lyrics, but the guitar notes, bass hums and rat-tats of drums.It works for me entirety.

But they are here to entertain and thats their domain.I like what Bono is doingh for Africa, but to be honest I have never seriously read any of the recent articles in this regard. OK I believe in Bono, but then there are others who are performing the same in the society, why not them. Bono is no angel of God, he just like them....so how do I develop a system that educates me to demarkate which is genuine and which one is not.

If a band is supporting a chairty or making a cause heard, using their star power of celebrity status, hats off to them. But if they are trying to be the conscience keeper of the society sorry.

I think intelligence and rock is a "oxymoron" of sorts.We dont need intelligence from them, if I have to seek intelligence from something I know there are different sources. But I always try to keep music to its limits of entertainment.

The Wanderer said:

well anyway, there are a lot of very intelligent bands that are around right now, but you will need to turn off the radio, or move to the U.K.

Aye, you're right... Too many crap music here in Los Angeles. All white noise on KROQ... I almost can't distinguish a single band from another.

There are a few underground LA bands I like though... the Lassie Foundation, Starflyer 59, the violet burning, etc.

Anyways, I always thought the best bands were from Europe!!

The Wanderer said:

Yeah, a whole lotta crap on radio in Los Angeles, these days. I can't tell em apart.

Anyways, I always thought the best bands were from Europe.

Last edited:
theSoulfulMofo said:

Aye, you're right... Too many crap music here in Los Angeles. All white noise on KROQ... I almost can't distinguish a single band from another.

There are a few underground LA bands I like though... the Lassie Foundation, Starflyer 59, the violet burning, etc.

Anyways, I always thought the best bands were from Europe!!

Hey theSoulfulMofo, I was surprised to hear of someone else liking the Violet Burning. I've been following their career for about 12 years now, and they are awesome!

Chris

Trailer Trash Tracie -

If you can't appreciate Pearl Jam since Jeremy, I don't think you listen to them much (or enough).

Pearl Jam, or more specifically Eddie Vedder, write a lot of songs about the "underdog". Mental illness, abuse, loss, triumph - lots of good stuff to be learned from much of their material.

They aren't wrapped up in political ideas as much as everyday social stuff.

Listen to:

Off He Goes (Vitalogy)
Elderly Woman...(vs)
Better Man (Vitalogy)
In My Tree (No Code)

for starters.

Here i go again, New Model Army people. More then 20 years of protest and social lyrics.

:sad: And nobody listen to them, only me said the fool:sad:

spanisheyes said:

Hey theSoulfulMofo, I was surprised to hear of someone else liking the Violet Burning. I've been following their career for about 12 years now, and they are awesome!

Chris

Yeah, I've been a fan for about just as long. I can't wait for their next album and the Gravity Show project.

One Tree Still said:
Trailer Trash Tracie -

If you can't appreciate Pearl Jam since Jeremy, I don't think you listen to them much (or enough).

Pearl Jam, or more specifically Eddie Vedder, write a lot of songs about the "underdog". Mental illness, abuse, loss, triumph - lots of good stuff to be learned from much of their material.

Listen to:

Off He Goes (Vitalogy)
Elderly Woman...(vs)
Better Man (Vitalogy)
In My Tree (No Code)

for starters.

Yes. I can personally relate to alot of PJ songs because I am an autistic.

One Tree Still said:
Trailer Trash Tracie -

Listen to:

Off He Goes (Vitalogy)
Elderly Woman...(vs)
Better Man (Vitalogy)
In My Tree (No Code)

for starters.

Excellent post...TrailorTrash seems to have had a quick ride on the PJ band wagon if you will.

Add Animal, Dissident, Daughter, Corduroy, Immortality, Last Exit, Hail Hail, Who You Are, the entire Yield album, and Light Years to the list of GOOD PJ songs.

Back
Top Bottom