9 minutes of new U2 posted on U2exit!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to these clips, I get the feeling of listening those Melbourne soundcheck 1998 clips, which featured some truly amazing improvisation.

bcrt2000 said:

People wanted U2 to go in a new direction... these 4 songs *do* represent a new direction. I'm sure people who hated X&Y won't appreciate this album though.

Sorry bcrt2000 mate, don't wanna sound like a jerk but we haven't actually heard 4 new songs yet. I mean things hear get so much blown up for nothing. Although it's been so long that these clips feel like a new song. :) I don't see any reason for anyone to feel upset or excited about what's to come.

I understand people are trying to assume based on what they've heard, but everyone must remember they have too big a variable to base their assumption on.

Axver said:

:huh:

OK, now this new stuff sounds like the Beatles, Bon Jovi, Christian soft rock, and will be X&Y Part II.

If I were a comedian, I'd just read Interference to get my material.

Back in the days when official 30 sec clip of Beautiful Day was released, it got similar reactions. It's the Interference tradition to welcome new snippets like this. I am surprised no one has mentioned Oasis, I think the first clip sounds a bit like Oasis, there ya go. :wink:

Axver said:

OK, now this new stuff sounds like the Beatles, Bon Jovi, Christian soft rock, and will be X&Y Part II.

If I were a comedian, I'd just read Interference to get my material.

I'm not saying its X&Y part II (at least not in a bad way). But it has certain coldplay elements. The slow singing lyrics, the more direct "preachyness", being a lot more abstract than usual. Although, I imagined U2 would sound like this on HTDAAB (before X&Y came out). Just took them an extra album to get there :wink:

But I'm not saying its bad and I'm not going to judge the album on these clips.

ishkash said:

Sorry bcrt2000 mate, don't wanna sound like a jerk but we haven't actually heard 4 new songs yet. I mean things hear get so much blown up for nothing. Although it's been so long that these clips feel like a new song. :) I don't see any reason for anyone to feel upset or excited about what's to come.

I understand people are trying to assume based on what they've heard, but everyone must remember they have too big a variable to base their assumption on.

I'm being quite neutral to be honest, I haven't decided one way or another whether this is good or not.

Nonetheless, those ARE snippets from 4 songs (in the most literal way), whether they be b-sides or left on the cutting floor. I never said these were final songs that are ready to be released.

bcrt2000 said:

I'm not saying its X&Y part II (at least not in a bad way). But it has certain coldplay elements. The slow singing lyrics, the more direct "preachyness", being a lot more abstract than usual. Although, I imagined U2 would sound like this on HTDAAB (before X&Y came out). Just took them an extra album to get there :wink:

I don't see how such qualities make an album like X&Y or Coldplay in general. I mean, geez, Coldplay didn't invent any of those qualities and I'm sick of constant Coldplay comparisons. Not just in the U2 fan world either. It's bloody tiresome, and even if I didn't think they were a shit, uncreative band, I'd be tired of hearing it.

Now, if Bono were starting to write songs with lyrics like "and I will try to fix Africa", then the comparisons would have more validity - and I would be quite concerned about Bono!

ishkash said:

Yet you just made made an assumption yourself a few posts back:

I realized a long time ago that U2 will never again make music like my favourite band. These clips confirm that, why the hell they do what they want to do?

Salome said:
I think I hear some Marilyn Manson influences

somewhere

and definitely Mozart

Did you catch that Bosnian 12th century folk music influence around 2:51-3:03?

Axver said:

I don't see how such qualities make an album like X&Y or Coldplay in general. I mean, geez, Coldplay didn't invent any of those qualities and I'm sick of constant Coldplay comparisons. Not just in the U2 fan world either. It's bloody tiresome, and even if I didn't think they were a shit, uncreative band, I'd be tired of hearing it.

Now, if Bono were starting to write songs with lyrics like "and I will try to fix Africa", then the comparisons would have more validity - and I would be quite concerned about Bono!

Well you have to take my comments in context. I thought U2's next album would sound like what X&Y ended up sounding like, so obviously, when X&Y came out, I automatically said, hey, thats heavily U2 influenced since thats pretty much what U2 would sound like if they took their music in that direction.

Oh, and I'm also pretty sure Bono started playing the piano during the HTDAAB sessions after hearing what Chris Martin did in Clocks. I think he may have even been quoted refering to clocks.

Oops, I forgot to add [sarcasm/irony] tags there. I guess I am still stuck in the mood of POPmart era. LOL

Still nothing on the longer clips?

I think if I see the word "Coldplay" one more time my head will explode.

U2dork said:

You guys really sound like Rage Against the Machine fans hating on Audioslave.

Axver said:

Did you catch that Bosnian 12th century folk music influence around 2:51-3:03?
:yes:

very tastefully done

I hope they will adopt more of their Bonosnian roots in the new album

If anybody brought the piano/pop-rock arrangement into the mainstream, it was Radiohead with their 1997 hit Karma Police.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Coldplay didn't do anything "revolutionary".

djerdap said:
If anybody brought the piano/pop-rock arrangement into the mainstream, it was Radiohead with their 1997 hit Karma Police.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Only hardcore music followers know of Radiohead and of their songs. Casual music listeners probably know other bands much better. The same even holds true for U2 to some extent (or at least it did before HTDAAB). All of my friends (I'm an 83 birth) really had no idea of U2 around 2001-2003.

DignityPassesBy said:
nope i think that chorus goes for song 3 goes something like this now

all my life i've been waiting for
hope and love (something)
and all my life i've been waiting for
this movement of you

could it be--"all my life i've been waiting for this moment i'm in, this moment i'm in"

*head explodes*

Look, I like Coldplay, but I'm with Axver on being sick of the constant comparisons, most of which are completely unfounded. I think some people on this forum are harboring secret man-crushes on Chris Martin the way they protest Coldplay's music so much.

djerdap said:
. [/B]

Would you consider New Years Day in that category?

U2dork said:

I really hope there's a nice, longer clip online when I wake tomorrow morning.

P.S. COLDPLAY. :evil:

bcrt2000 said:

Only hardcore music followers know of Radiohead and of their songs. Casual music listeners probably know other bands much better. The same even holds true for U2 to some extent (or at least it did before HTDAAB). All of my friends (I'm an 83 birth) really had no idea of U2 around 2001-2003.

:lol: Are you serious?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:lol: Are you serious?

No, I really am being serious.

Most popular artists here in North America at least would be the likes of Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas, Shakira, Nelly Furtado, etc, then it would probably be followed by the likes of Coldplay, Nickelback, and a few others. I guess I'd put U2 among the likes of Nickelback for popularity currently because HTDAAB did so well, but even then, thats because U2 has an appeal across a very wide age range.

Last edited:
Back on topic again: any chance of that 18min 30sec version of the new material that was mentioned oh, about 14 pages ago, before Coldplay discussions inevitably took over?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So you are going to speak for all music listeners because of you and your friends?:huh:

In my age range, in the Greater Toronto Area, based on what my friends say, and even aquaintences, and based on the radio, yeah.

djerdap said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say Tori Amos, Kate Bush, whatever and whoever pretty much already did everything that could be done with piano in rock/pop/whatever music

maybe Radiohead invented Kate Bush though :hmm: :ohmy:

bcrt2000 said:

I guess I'd put U2 among the likes of Nickelback for popularity currently because HTDAAB did so well, but even then, thats because U2 has an appeal across a very wide age range.

:barf: Nickelback? WTF? I realize that you are Canadian and all, but Nickelback is the worst excrement that the Canadians have thrown at us since Celine Dion.

I can't understand why anyone with a brain would willingly listen to Nickelback. And yet their music is played over and over on the radio, and at least one of my friends claims to like them. I may have to perform an exorcism or sacrifice some small children or something... :|

bsp77 said:

:barf: Nickelback? WTF? I realize that you are Canadian and all, but Nickelback is the worst excrement that the Canadians have thrown at us since Celine Dion.

I never said I liked Nickelback (okay well I liked them up until Chad Kroeger released "Hero", after that all of their songs sounded the same), but there are people that do like Nickelback a lot. Their songs are even played during Hockey Night in Canada (the main one being the cover of "Saturday nights alright for fighting), and HNIC is the national pride of Canada, so I'm sure if people hated them, there'd be a strong reaction and they'd stop playing Nickelback songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom