7 reasons of why Elevation ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
J_NP said:
Tour ranks as the easiest one to be forgotten , considering U2's last five tours , Actually a explanation why I'm a good , only good fan of it :

1- It was the tour that toured the less in all lasts , US - Canada and Europe , how are supposed the fans from other countries to love such a thing ?

Well, Lovetown was shorter and the US /Canada/UK didn't get that one at all, and yet it's well loved. I didn't see it, would have loved to though.

J_NP said:

2- Consider Lack of the last album material - in the case : Pop , songs like Please and LNOE could have easily improved the show

Well ,as much sa I'd have loved to see more songs from Pop, they were promoting ATYCLB after all. I guess the fact that they played Pop songs more often in the US than Europe puts to bed the grizzled old chestnut/myth of "they didn't get it", eh ?

In time, U2 will come to love Pop as much as their fans do !

J_NP said:

3- Lack of explosive sound / songs , while it's out of discussion Elevation Fly was TNT , Just compare the indoor shows dvds of vertigo and elevation ,

I preferred Elevation, it had a different vibe.

Vertigo was mediocre, mediocre new songs, recycled production.

Yes, on the rare occasion they brought out Electric Co and Gloria it was awesome, but the set as a whole was weaker IMO

I'm going off of the actual shows, not the DVD. And if I were, as lame as Boston is, it's still miles better than Chicago.

J_NP said:

4- Some bad guitar choices : While it was a nice return of the explorer , I feel a lot the almost complete absence of Edge's Goldtop Les Paul , which after proved all the power of it's sound in Popmart , was reduced only for End of the world , and the complete lack of Semi-acoustic guitars , a song like One for me never worked as originally without an SA guitar like in Zoo and Pop ....

???? I guess we saw different shows

J_NP said:

5- Too much short sets , Slane for example which is presented complete , only 20 songs , having an 4 songs only encore

Yes, some of the sets were a tad short, I'll give you that. About the same length as Lovetown though.

J_NP said:

Fly while many love it and i kinda like , but I don't consider as the true version of fly ; Bullet , specially the solo doesn't sound good compared to others ; NYD doesn't sound good using effects similar to war tour sound with the custom LP .... there are many others

Bullet and NYD are just done. Period. Fly was great during Elevation, and Streets was just HORRIBLE during Vertigo, what worse indictment of Vertigo is there ? They actually blew Streets !!!

Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

toscano said:

Well ,as much sa I'd have loved to see more songs from Pop, they were promoting ATYCLB after all. I guess the fact that they played Pop songs more often in the US than Europe puts to bed the grizzled old chestnut/myth of "they didn't get it", eh ?

I preferred Elevation, it had a different vibe.

Vertigo was mediocre, mediocre new songs, recycled production.

Yes, on the rare occasion they brought out Electric Co and Gloria it was awesome, but the set as a whole was weaker IMO

I'm going off of the actual shows, not the DVD. And if I were, as lame as Boston is, it's still miles better than Chicago.

Bullet and NYD are just done. Period. Fly was great during Elevation, and Streets was just HORRIBLE during Vertigo, what worse indictment of Vertigo is there ? They actually blew Streets !!!

Well, I think that Elevation was great, but the setlists and the shows itself are boring in comparison to the Vertigo ones. Vertigo had more diversity of songs, several openers and closers, it had different kind of encores. Plus, it had several highlights about entertaining, such as the Human Rights video the was following Miss Sarajevo/RTSS, then the ZooTv encore that nobody expected.

Then, I think that The Fly and Elevation was better in Vertigo Tour. I didn't like much the 2001 live version of Elevation, is too weird. The 2005/6 one is more raw and only explodes in the middle in a different way. The Fly had a great arrangement too last tour, very exciting.:drool:

Re: Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

Aygo said:

Well, I think that Elevation was great, but the setlists and the shows itself are boring in comparison to the Vertigo ones. Vertigo had more diversity of songs, several openers and closers, it had different kind of encores. Plus, it had several highlights about entertaining, such as the Human Rights video the was following Miss Sarajevo/RTSS, then the ZooTv encore that nobody expected.

Then, I think that The Fly and Elevation was better in Vertigo Tour. I didn't like much the 2001 live version of Elevation, is too weird. The 2005/6 one is more raw and only explodes in the middle in a different way. The Fly had a great arrangement too last tour, very exciting.:drool:

Each to their own. There were multiple openers/closers as they didn't have it worked out to what they thought worked best.

Pride and Streets sucked on Vertigo.

Elevation had quite a bit of change up; a few songs I only saw once live despite only actually going to 2 shows: Sweetest thing, Gone, EBTTRT, Please, Desire, IALW, Wild Honey, What's going on, Ground Beneathe her feet, Angel of Harlem, Out of Control so the setlist variation argument is out.

Fly for me rocked a lot harder on Elevation.

The Human rights thing was just a momentum stopper for me.

Plus the Elevation tour had the benefit of the better ATYCLB songs combined with having no HTDAAB songs ! Major points for the Elevation tour there !

Any tour which screws up Streets like the Vertigo tour did......

toscano said:

Well, Lovetown was shorter and the US /Canada/UK didn't get that one at all, and yet it's well loved. I

Well ,as much sa I'd have loved to see more songs from Pop, they were promoting ATYCLB after all.

Yes, some of the sets were a tad short, I'll give you that. About the same length as Lovetown though.

Guess u only saw the 1st comment , keep in mind LT was a sort of JT part II , the focus was on places u2 on JT tour WAS goin to visit , but didn't

U2 was promoting AB on Zoo TV , still they played even 4 off RH , on popmart they still played 4 songs off AB ..... there u go ..... Juz coz they were promoting the 2000 record , they CAN'T play more Pop songs ? :eyebrow:

Lovetown had 4 album less than Elevation , how do u want to compare the number of songs of these 2 ......

toscano said:

???? I guess we saw different shows

Care to elaborate ? Or better explain ...... What was the show u saw , Edge used Any big semi-acoustic guitar ? Or didn't play One with a Custom Les Paul ?

I saw Elevation and POPMART tours. I liked POPMART more, naturally, cuz it was more on the creative and artistic side. Elevation tour was like a Greatest Hits concert. I had a great time at both shows. And they played "Bad" on the Elevation tour, which is a huge plus.

ozeeko said:
I saw Elevation and POPMART tours. I liked POPMART more, naturally, cuz it was more on the creative and artistic side. Elevation tour was like a Greatest Hits concert. I had a great time at both shows. And they played "Bad" on the Elevation tour, which is a huge plus.

I always thought that Lovetown was the only unofficial Greatest Hits-kind-of tour they haeve ever had. Because... there were several elevation shows that only included more recent and minor hits in the setlists.:scratch:

toscano said:

Well, Lovetown was shorter and the US /Canada/UK didn't get that one at all, and yet it's well loved.

Poor argument though. The Joshua Tree Tour (which did hit the US, Canada, UK) was intended to start in New Zealand, but the recording sessions for the JT album ran overtime and the band ultimately had to scrap that idea and begin the tour in the US. Accordingly, the Lovetown Tour was scheduled as a replacement. It was intended to go where JT had not gone. By definition of its purpose, it wasn't meant to play the US as it had already been hit twice on the JT Tour.

J_NP said:

Add the "In my opinion "

in my opinion, Streets and Pride sucked big time on Vertigo. Did you like how Streets was played on Vertigo better than the red start/white lights version ?

fyi, this is all opinion, all of the time. must we always preface everything ?

Aygo said:

I always thought that Lovetown was the only unofficial Greatest Hits-kind-of tour they haeve ever had. Because... there were several elevation shows that only included more recent and minor hits in the setlists.:scratch:

And I always knew the love town as the tour of RH :huh:

After all look at the name , look at the songs played

Axver said:

Poor argument though. The Joshua Tree Tour (which did hit the US, Canada, UK) was intended to start in New Zealand, but the recording sessions for the JT album ran overtime and the band ultimately had to scrap that idea and begin the tour in the US. Accordingly, the Lovetown Tour was scheduled as a replacement. It was intended to go where JT had not gone. By definition of its purpose, it wasn't meant to play the US as it had already been hit twice on the JT Tour.

but it was a separate and totally different entity we missed out on, the argument is valid, it went to lots of places JT had gone.

J_NP said:

Guess u only saw the 1st comment , keep in mind LT was a sort of JT part II , the focus was on places u2 on JT tour WAS goin to visit , but didn't

And yet it visited places JT already visited !

J_NP said:

Care to elaborate ? Or better explain ...... What was the show u saw , Edge used Any big semi-acoustic guitar ? Or didn't play One with a Custom Les Paul ?

They sounded just fine, in some cases better, with the guitars Edge/Bono chose to use.

J_NP said:

And I always knew the love town as the tour of RH :huh:

After all look at the name , look at the songs played

Well, yeah, but I think that the band didn't intend touring in 1989 to promote Rattle And Hum. First, the tour was short and only reached regions that the JT hadn't reach. Then, the tour started about a year after the releasement of the last album...:|
and the setlists were diverse as possible, some shows included more proper hits and earlier songs than songs from R&H or even JT...

toscano said:

in my opinion, Streets and Pride sucked big time on Vertigo. Did you like how Streets was played on Vertigo better than the red start/white lights version ?

fyi, this is all opinion, all of the time. must we always preface everything ?

You're basing the quality of Vertigo Tour Streets on the fact that they didn't use red lights to start off the song?

I thought Elevation was great coming on the tails of ZooTV & Popmart. I just wish I'd been at one, a 'stripped back' U2 arena show. The Vertigo arena shows to me are the dull ones. More than happy to be corrected, but every second of footage I've seen and every bootleg I've heard of a Vertigo arena show just looks and sounds terrible. Even Bono looks bored a lot of the time.
Hopefully revisiting ZooTV does to them as revisiting the 80's greatest hits did, and that we get - while maybe not another ridiculously huge stadium show - at least some more creativity and excitement back into the shows.

david said:

You're basing the quality of Vertigo Tour Streets on the fact that they didn't use red lights to start off the song?

Partly, yes. That's how I've seen it played live since 1987, it's part of the song. Other things I didn't liek about it : No floods at the start of the song after the lack of the red-intro (they go together ), and the African flags in their place, and the chanting, and the segue from Pride really sucked, the worst I've seen ..... (for J_NP, that was all opinion)

toscano said:

Partly, yes. That's how I've seen it played live since 1987, it's part of the song. Other things I didn't liek about it : No floods at the start of the song after the lack of the red-intro (they go together ), and the African flags in their place, and the chanting, and the segue from Pride really sucked, the worst I've seen ..... (for J_NP, that was all opinion)

^ He's right. The african theme for Streets just lacked something....greatly.

That's the great thing bout opinions ....... I thought myself , that the vertigo version topped the elevation one , well Boston version is one super , so it get even with it , but the others , I prefer Vertigo :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

toscano said:

And yet it visited places JT already visited !

Barely.

The main purpose of Lovetown was to visit Australia and New Zealand, territories that were meant to have Joshua Tree Tour concerts but did not, and they added on Japan as it hadn't been visited since 1983 (I don't know if Japan was in the original JT Tour plan or not). Then the band decided to see out the 1980s in their hometown - quite natural, who doesn't play gigs in their hometown? And because they were carting the Lovetown setup all the way over to Europe, they made it worth the while and added shows in three strong nearby markets.

Some people view Lovetown as an extension of the JT Tour, and while I argue strongly that it is a separate entity, its existence and purpose has to be considered in tandem with the JT Tour.

toscano said:

i had no problem with the flags, but the only way bono should be using his mic at all during the intro to Streets is if he's singing. the speech kind of ruined the song for me too.

can't blame them for trying something different though.

J_NP said:
That's the great thing bout opinions ....... I thought myself , that the vertigo version topped the elevation one , well Boston version is one super , so it get even with it , but the others , I prefer Vertigo :wink:

Did you experience the Elevation version or basing your opinion on boots/dvd versions?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

Axver said:

Some people view Lovetown as an extension of the JT Tour, and while I argue strongly that it is a separate entity, its existence and purpose has to be considered in tandem with the JT Tour.

It's either part of the JT tour or it's not. Went to different places as JT tour and went to some of the same places as JT tour. Played lots of songs not on the JT tour, had a different stage set than the JT tour. As such, it has to stand (and wonderfully it does too) on it's own merits. So, when we're complaining about elevation because it was "too short", you really have to apply the same standard to Lovetown.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

toscano said:
As such, it has to stand (and wonderfully it does too) on it's own merits.

I agree. Like I said, I argue against those who say it should just be considered an extension of JT.

So, when we're complaining about elevation because it was "too short", you really have to apply the same standard to Lovetown.

This I completely disagree with. Lovetown was compensating for not visiting territories that were on the original itinerary.

If Elevation were compensating for another tour, it would be comparable with Lovetown. It wasn't so they are not comparable. If Lovetown's itinerary were independent of JT's, it would be comparable with Elevation. It wasn't so they are not comparable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

Axver said:

I agree. Like I said, I argue against those who say it should just be considered an extension of JT.

This I completely disagree with. Lovetown was compensating for not visiting territories that were on the original itinerary.

But it wasn't JUST doing that to the exclusion of everything/everything place else.

If it had gone to only Australasia wuth the same set and songs, then yes, you'd be right.

Not only is Lovetown's itinerary independent of JT to a large degree, everything else about it is independent from JT also

There's a reason they called it the Lovetown tour rather than the "JT tour part 2", and played different sets on an completely different stage set up/show

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

toscano said:

But it wasn't JUST doing that to the exclusion of everything/everything place else.

If it had gone to only Australasia wuth the same set and songs, then yes, you'd be right.

Not only is Lovetown's itinerary independent of JT to a large degree, everything else about it is independent from JT also

There's a reason they called it the Lovetown tour rather than the "JT tour part 2", and played different sets on an completely different stage set up/show

I wonder if you've missed my point. I'm not saying it wasn't independent from JT in song selection, stage setup, and all that.

I am saying, however, that its ITINERARY was dependent on JT in that its PURPOSE was to visit countries that U2 intended to play on the JT Tour but did not due to recording sessions taking longer than intended. Had JT begun in New Zealand as originally planned, there would have been no Lovetown at all.

It only played four countries visited before on JT. One was played because it was U2's home country and they were celebrating the end of the decade. The other three were because they were in that part of the world and it made it economically viable to take the stage from Australia to Europe. It does not in any way even weaken my argument that Lovetown's itinerary was dependent on the JT Tour's changed itinerary, and thus Lovetown's schedule is not comparable to Elevation's.

Earnie Shavers said:
What do you kids generally think of the City of Blinding Lights opener?

Well, if I'm still entitled to throw out my opinion without bitchness by anyone here, I'd say that I find it a great opener, one of the best ever:drool: It fits perfectily in the begining of the show.

Did you see it as an opener live, or just footage? I guess it has to better being there, but footage of it, my lord, what a snoozer. I caught for the first time over the weekend the U2 Entourage episode, and I couldn't believe how lacklustre it was. Even more so than the Chicago DVD. The friend I was watching it with, who has never ever heard COBL before, turned to me and said "This has to be the worst U2 song I've ever heard." I didn't try and defend it, even though it is by no means the worst U2 song, that was just a craptastic opening, as it is on the Chicago DVD.

Back
Top Bottom