50 greatest rock drummers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill Berry above Larry?????..............umh, dont think so! And Charlie Watts at 4??????????? he is the most basic drummer ever! Would agree wi the No1 choice. Cant pass comment much on the others as I dont know their work

Last edited:
gman said:
And Charlie Watts at 4??????????? he is the most basic drummer ever! Would agree wi the No1 choice. Cant pass comment much on the others as I dont know their work
Nor the great work of Charlie Watts, apparently. He's an amazing drummer.

Am reserviing my right to disagree with you on Charlie Watts Canadiens. Am not saying he is a BAD drummer...............just not the 4th best rock drummer. Larry is superior and that has nothing to do with being Biased.

Larry does not deserve a spot on a list of this type at all.

That said, this particular example of a list is downright appalling. Now, I'm not a particularly big Rush fan (I can't name a single album where I don't skip songs), but by absolutely any measure, I do not know how on earth you could possibly rate Larry ahead of Neil Peart. Come on, he's NEIL FUCKING PEART.

Last edited:
My friend always gave props to Larry as a drummer because as with most U2 tracks you can dance.

gman said:
Bill Berry above Larry?????..............umh, dont think so! And Charlie Watts at 4??????????? he is the most basic drummer ever! Would agree wi the No1 choice. Cant pass comment much on the others as I dont know their work

the man is a human metronome, thoroughly deserves his spot

Larry in there AT ALL is asurprise, esp looking at the list behind him ?

Billy Cobham ?? Bill Bruford ??? NEIL PEART ????!!!??? Larry's fine fo rU2, but shouldn't be on th esame list as those guys, let alone ahead of him.

Let's not even mention those left off.......

OK, the absence of Stephen Perkins on this list makes this the absolute worst list in history.

And no Phil Selway? :disgusted:

At least Lars Ulrich wasn't on it. That makes me slightly happier.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:

lol - This is rock and roll.

What does that have to do with Travis Barker though?

I've no idea. But holy shit, I almost turned my lungs inside out when he looked into the camera and said "this is rock and roll". Also, "one two tree, one two tree".

Christ, just his solo at the end sounds better than some of the drummers on Stylus' list.

GibsonGirl said:

I've no idea. But holy shit, I almost turned my lungs inside out when he looked into the camera and said "this is rock and roll". Also, "one two tree, one two tree".

Christ, just his solo at the end sounds better than some of the drummers on Stylus' list.

Don't forget "The Turd Beat"... :up:

OMG - don't even get me started! No. 22 - Neil Peart!! what a bunch of :censored:

I'm taking it as a given that the author has never heard a Neil Peart drum solo live!! I'm not one of those Rush fans that go around saying the Neil is the greatest drummer ever b/c that is always debatable, but he should be in the top 5 at least.

This list is a joke to me, that they actually put Neil Peart at No. 22????

Kieth Moon maybe better

John Bonham probably better

But Charlie Watts?
Bill Berry????
Larry Mullen JR??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can agree with John Bonham and Keith Moon, but no fucking Gene Krupa or Neil Peart?

Jesus Christ, what's with all the Charlie Watts hate. It's like people have never heard a fricken' Stones album track before :huh:

However, higher than Peart? Probably not.

Canadiens1160 said:
Jesus Christ, what's with all the Charlie Watts hate. It's like people have never heard a fricken' Stones album track before :huh:

However, higher than Peart? Probably not.

I think ad be right in saying i am the only one that questioned his high position in the chart!!

no Eric Singer??????

:mad:

no Lars??? (I never care what Axver says anyway)

no Portnoy??? (and I thought he'd be crying over it)

This list is pretty crap.

Neal Peart at #22 just screams "Please read my list!!! Please reead my list!!! I am so controversial!!! I am sooo hipster!!!"

I'll take the token Bonham and Moon above Peart, I'll even digest Grohl, who is a complete fucking badass. I'll even account for a couple of often underrated drummers and a couple of token hipster picks. That said, if Neal Peart is not at least in your top ten, it better include a bunch of jazz performers not the Charlie Watts brigade of 4/4, hat kick hat snare hat kick hat snare which includes the drummers of my two favorite bands, U2 and REM.

I know even Peart himself is a token pick and often even a hipster pick but outside of drummers who primarily play jazz, talking rock drummers, you can't make a serious list with him outside the top ten. Oh, you can, but I don't know why it would be taken seriously.

Where the fuck is Danny Carey on this list?
I know often times metal drummers get the snub but Lombardo and Cavalera are on this list. Carey is easily the best metal drummer of all time. Easily. Sure it's subjective but I subjectively say EASILY.

pepokiss said:
no Lars??? (I never care what Axver says anyway)

no Portnoy??? (and I thought he'd be crying over it)

Of course no Portnoy. I didn't expect he had a chance of making the list given the calibre of the publication and the choices, so I didn't complain about it.

Now, in a fair world, people such as Portnoy, Gavin Harrison, and Hellhammer would be in the top ten. But this is just a shit publication that probably wouldn't know who Hellhammer is if he came in and played blast beats with their skulls.

Inner El Guapo said:
Where the fuck is Danny Carey on this list?
I know often times metal drummers get the snub but Lombardo and Cavalera are on this list. Carey is easily the best metal drummer of all time. Easily. Sure it's subjective but I subjectively say EASILY.

Now, I'm not actually even a big Hellhammer fan besides his work for Arcturus, but I think he objectively owns the three you named.

Mullen ahead of Peart is abso-fucking-lutely hilarious.

That reminds me of my ex-fiance's best friend arguing with me that Color Me Badd was a better group than U2. And yes, she was serious.

Back
Top Bottom