50 greatest rock drummers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no drumming expert, hell . . . I don't even know how to play the damn things, but I do know this . . .

. . . Bill Berry absolutely bores me to tears and if Stipey, Bucky and Millsey all had the same amount of musicianship and innovation that Berry has, well . . . R.E.M. would have gone nowhere fast!

Bill Berry = :yawn:

Hahaha this list fails at life.

Charlie Watts, Dave Grohl, Moe Tucker, Bill Berry, and Larry Mullen > Neil Peart? :lmao:

I hate Rush, and even I know that's just wrong.

The absence of Steven Drozd is disappointing too. :sigh:

I can agree with John Bonham and Keith Moon, but no fucking Gene Krupa or Neil Peart?

Krupa isn't in there because it's a "rock" list, I guess.

But some of those choices are sort of hanging onto the genre by a thread themselves...

Axver said:

Now, I'm not actually even a big Hellhammer fan besides his work for Arcturus, but I think he objectively owns the three you named.

Oh yeah? Well, that's neither here nor there because nobody could touch Ye Iron Buttocks from the Dutch band Itsananagram.

COBL_04 said:
Who's Neil Peart? Seriously I'd heard of like five drummers on this list.

He's from Rush. Easily one of the greatest drummers to ever grace this earth. To have him behind Larry Mullen at number twenty-two is frankly an insult. I bet he's only there because the reviewers don't like Rush, or because they're trying to be controversial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONLKn5VHY4

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
i think , that roger taylor from queen deserves a spot , surely not the best drummer around , however composed some really good songs

WinnieThePoo said:
i think , that roger taylor from queen deserves a spot , surely not the best drummer around , however composed some really good songs

I completely agree. :up: Roger's great. Certainly more inventive than some of the other drummers on that list. I'd put him somewhere in the 30s or the 40s.

Well, being a huge Rush fan, I went to their concert two nights ago here in Dallas. And going to the show just confirmed what I have known since seeing them the first time in 1981--Neil Peart is the most badass drummer around. And Good Lord, to have Larry (who to me is the most important member of U2, as he started the whole freaking thing), Bill Berry, Chris Frantz (WTF?!!), and some yahoo named Klaus Dinger ahead of Neil Peart is flat out wrong, wrong, wrong.

Don't misunderstand, U2 is my fave band of all time, and I love both Talking Heads and R.E.M. (couldn't give a rat's rip about Kraftwerk), but no way, no how should any of those people be above Neil. Any credibility this Stylus list was trying to generate was completely obliterated by placing him at #22. All I can say is, You have GOT to be kidding me!

Why is BIll Berry above Larry Mullen Jr. in the poll?

Most polls are subjective. At least they got it right putting John Bonham as # 1 rock drummer.

That said, one consideration is that Larry is just the drummer in U2. Bill Berry played piano, bass and guitars in the studio and hence was at worst - a minor if not major component to their songwriting.

IT was Bill Berry that wrote "Perfect Circle" on piano for their Murmur album. And it was Bill Berry that wrote the basic guitar bits for "Man In The Moon".

Sure the category is best rock drummer but in that, Bill Berry has contributed more, in some ways, than Larry has to U2.

...well, except for that whole Larry started U2 bit. =O)

Back
Top Bottom