46664 Concert for Mandela

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
Wow!

I guess I had my head in the sand when this happened in late 2003 (or maybe it didn't get much press in the US, not sure which) but who caught Bono and Edge at this concert??

Comprised in four clips on youtube:

"American Prayer" with Beyonce and Dave Stewart-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKXyBjCpXAM&feature=related

"Long Walk to Freedom" (last song ever written by Joe Strummer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7l8bnxSv74&feature=related

"One" with a South African Gospel Choir
"Unchained Melody" snippet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVk1HiklVk&feature=related

"Amandla" (by Dave Stewart) w/ DS, Beyonce, Anastacia (never heard of her but she can sing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SWaJwzDGEg&feature=related

If you saw this and disliked it, please resist the temptation to rag on it and just go to the next thread. (thanks!) I've never heard this set mentioned here, but I know many interferencers dislike the collab. w/ Mary J, and this sound bears some resemblance to that... anyway, trying not to make assumptions. ;)

Anyone heard "Long Walk to Freedom" before? I'm wondering if Bono co-wrote it with Strummer or if it is Strummer's song. Incredible performance.

And though my opinion of Bono singing American Prayer on his own is "meh", I love this version with Beyonce singing harmony.

in-frikkin-credible set!!!

:combust:

Hey thanks, Danny Boy.

I found this on Joe Strummer's bio on wikipedia:

"Shortly before his death Strummer and U2's Bono co-wrote a song, "46664", for Nelson Mandela as part of a campaign against AIDS in Africa. Strummer had been scheduled to play at Mandela's SOS fundraising concert in February 2003 on Robben Island. Mick Jones later recorded a version of the song in studio, performing both the vocals and guitar work, that has yet to be formally released."

Would love to hear the studio version as well.

A big part of why I love this set so much is that the U2 connection to both punk and soul (imo opinion their two strongest influences) is strong and evident and raw.

Wow, Bono's got great, personal "deathbed" stories about both Joey Ramone and Joe Strummer, two of his early musical heroes//key influences.

Thanks again for the reply. (So what did you think of their set at the concert?)

sue4u2 said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but personally, I loved it.
I forget who carried it, MTV or VH1 but it was shown on TV.

Amazon has it on DVD.
http://www.amazon.com/46664-Event-Nelson-Mandelas-Concert/dp/B0001US8BC

Thanks! I think I remember seeing something about it after the fact in 2003, but never remembered to look it up later for CD or DVD release. I checked Amazon for CD versions as well, the DVD seems more comprehensive by far. Thanks for the link. I may have to pick that up sometime. ;)

A lot of great artists on there. I didn't know Jimmy Cliff was still performing (in 2003 at least).

Carek1230 said:
I have it on dvd and was wow'd by it. It amazes me the people in the know Bono hangs out with and supports!

cool. :)

"the people in the know Bono hangs out with and supports"

Sorry I don't quite get what you mean by that? Mandela? The other artists? AIDS activists?

a question to anyone who's seen them

if you were deciding between

1) 46664 DVD
2) Live Aid DVD
3) Live 8 DVD

Which would you get AND WHY?

cheers.

Hey GV, btw I ran across a K-OS video on Youtube - "Sunday Morning" - I really like it, thanks for letting us know about him.

This concert was shown on the CNN International TV channel live at the time. (I think it was also carried on the MTV network as Carek said.)

I watched the entire concert and taped the Bono-Edge related parts plus the GREAT Peter Gabriel performance with Youssou N'Dour. (Annie Lennox was her usual dynamic self.) :wink:

I think that it is definitely a Bono-related performance to have in your DVD/CD collection as it follows the development of the musician/social activist life of the B-man (Edge is also very good in this concert too).

:bonodrum: :hi5: :love:

I don't have the DVD, but I have it all on video files and on audio, I LOVE the Mandela concert. All the Bono-Edge-related performances are really great and touching, and I think the ONE performance is one of the best they have done. I really like the speech Bono was giving.

I love Amandla and the version of One from that show is one of my favorites. I've never seen the DVD, but have been listening to the concert audio for years.

dr. zooeuss said:
a question to anyone who's seen them

if you were deciding between

1) 46664 DVD
2) Live Aid DVD
3) Live 8 DVD

Which would you get AND WHY?

cheers.

Hey GV, btw I ran across a K-OS video on Youtube - "Sunday Morning" - I really like it, thanks for letting us know about him.

Well...I think you're comparing apples to oranges with that one, really hard to pick!...I think Live Aid contains some of the most incredible performances of all time (U2, Queen, and more) whereas 46664 is such a moving very powerful DVD, and perhaps more 'soulful'? So I really like that one too. I don't own the Live 8 DVD but want to if for nothing else than Alicia :drool:

:up: K-OS check out these too...aw man did someone just give me the green light to promote my favorite hip hopper? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZsUkYGq5k (probably my favorite K-Os song right now, it so fucking punk rock)

the true b-boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjNnzEhMC0

the artist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdc2DL-GWn8

and this acoustic of Crucial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hiJc9fCgY

I want this guy to open for U2 so bad it aint even funny.

Thanks, yeah, I must say I am impressed with his music! :yes:

Along with Sunday Morning, that first one had me thinking 'this guy isn't hip-hop at all'; he was reminding me a lot of Kele from Bloc Party, both in sound and in appearance.. and that whole premise reminded me of 'Wyld Stallions', from, you know, Bill & Ted, haha.

The Seekwill, that was like good old school De La Soul or something, as if gangsta never hit Canadian hip-hop (which would be a good thing, is that true?)

The third one, reminded me of an emcee I was into for a long time, Speech, from the past and present incarnations of Arrested Development- crossed with a little Talib Kweli and a little Seal, maybe. Good stuff, he can sing, rap, and play guitar- the music world needs more artists like this guy!

The last one was nice too- does show versatility- sounded to me like a blend of Peter Tosh, Ben Harper, Al Green and rap.

I can definitely see why you like this guy. As far as opening for U2, I guess he's similar to Wyclef in some ways as well, so maybe there's hope.. I wonder what are the best ways to get people's names in front of them for consideration. My impression is they prefer artists that are relatively new to the biz...

very good inspirations, he'd probably agree...but I think he's been doing his thing from before bloc party, altho he's publicly said he's a fan of theirs..

Hmm...newer artists opening for U2..you might have a point there...he's already got three solid solid albums out (seriously J, you have to buy/acquire/download/whatever EXIT, Joyful Rebellion and Atlantis) when you listen to them you'll see what I mean he's just so diverse. But maybe U2 would look at it as getting him a bit of a boost...he is signed, but they're fucking with him imo...opening for Gym Class? Cmon!!! Besides, U2 had the Killers, Kanye, Keane...they were all well established by then, no? I dunno I hear a song like Born to Run or Valhalla and I SO see U2 hearing that and saying 'holy shit!'...so yeah, how do we get that in front of them? :)

eta: just realized how many artists that started with "K" U2 has used last tour...K-oS starts with K!! lol

Canadian gangsta rap...yeah, sadly, we have that too up :( - our rap gets a bit more mixed up due to the huge dancehall reggae scene here too...

BTW, I meant to say thanks to everyone who chipped in their opinion on the DVD question- I'm thinking I rank them in this order-

Live Aid
Live 8

... and I don't have Slane either, where would you all put that in there?

gabrielvox said:
very good inspirations, he'd probably agree...but I think he's been doing his thing from before bloc party, altho he's publicly said he's a fan of theirs..

Hmm...newer artists opening for U2..you might have a point there...he's already got three solid solid albums out (seriously J, you have to buy/acquire/download/whatever EXIT, Joyful Rebellion and Atlantis) when you listen to them you'll see what I mean he's just so diverse. But maybe U2 would look at it as getting him a bit of a boost...he is signed, but they're fucking with him imo...opening for Gym Class? Cmon!!! Besides, U2 had the Killers, Kanye, Keane...they were all well established by then, no? I dunno I hear a song like Born to Run or Valhalla and I SO see U2 hearing that and saying 'holy shit!'...so yeah, how do we get that in front of them? :)

eta: just realized how many artists that started with "K" U2 has used last tour...K-oS starts with K!! lol

Canadian gangsta rap...yeah, sadly, we have that too up :( - our rap gets a bit more mixed up due to the huge dancehall reggae scene here too...

Yep, you make a good case. I've liked hip-hop nearly as long as I've liked U2 (which is to say, nearly as long as I've been into music) and I've never fully understood U2's take on hip-hop.

Maybe it has to do with their being Irish whereas hip-hop was born in the US and is a younger genre than rock.

IMO, it was incredibly far-sighted and visionary of them to get Public Enemy and Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy to open for ZooTV, and I think the majority of U2 fans still don't 'get' how visionary that was.

Since then, though, they've been pretty spotty in their association with quality hip-hop- we've had fun lovin' criminals, Wyclef and Kanye West. Kind of all over the place, and not necessarily the best out there, or even the ones I'd expect to have the most 'in common' with U2.

Of course hip-hop as a whole took some pretty bad turns (imo again, of course) in the mid to late 90s, so maybe that was a factor, as well as the fact that U2 were fighting a bit of their own uphill battle in the mid to late 90s.

Anyway, perhaps I digress. Having some experience in the industry yourself, maybe you could figure out how to make some inroads for K-OS and U2, seriously. Have you met K-OS?

I think I will have to get one of his albums- I am quite impressed and I'm always on the lookout for new good artist with a BEAT for running- are his albums all on itunes? Which would you recommend first?

Yep Exit, Joyful Rebellion and Atlantis, in order of release date. I know this sounds cliche, but you really do need to have all 3, they are solid albums.

I'm actually childhood/best friends with his cousin. Me and his cuz go way back...we were from a group of kids from a certain religious group who grew up listening to anything and everything we could, with hip hop being the backdrop. I've only met him once, maybe 17 years ago when I was out with his cousin and met him in passing. I'll tell ya more when I talk to you later ;)

But back to the rankings....ok don't even put Slane in that list!! lol

I dunno...I would spend my last penny on two things....music and good food...so I say just get them all, they're all uniquely worth it in their own way? :shrug:

gabrielvox said:
Yep Exit, Joyful Rebellion and Atlantis, in order of release date. I know this sounds cliche, but you really do need to have all 3, they are solid albums.

I'm actually childhood/best friends with his cousin. Me and his cuz go way back...we were from a group of kids from a certain religious group who grew up listening to anything and everything we could, with hip hop being the backdrop. I've only met him once, maybe 17 years ago when I was out with his cousin and met him in passing. I'll tell ya more when I talk to you later ;)

But back to the rankings....ok don't even put Slane in that list!! lol

I dunno...I would spend my last penny on two things....music and good food...so I say just get them all, they're all uniquely worth it in their own way? :shrug:

Thanks, ok I'll catch up with on all this soon.. cheers, G. (heh)

Back
Top Bottom