40 ! Next Tour ?! HOW LONG ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last unicorn said:
I love 40 as a closer, it's just perfect, and I hope - and also believe - they will play it again.

I wish U23D ended with this song. It's the ultimate U2 anthem to end a show.

I don't know, I LOVED the way it ended. that Yahweh is awesome.

ImOuttaControl said:
I say U2 should stop playing "40."

On bootlegs I have from 80's shows, it was great...On the Vertigo tour, it just didn't sound too inspiring. Were talking a more obscure U2 song from what, 24 years ago now? The crowd simply just does not get into the song they way they did in the 80's because a huge chunk of the audience I would bet has never heard the song!

I saw U2 twice in Chicago--On May 9, they ended the show with "40," which seemed like air was slowly being let out of the balloon. Sort of boring, sort of a "meh," from the audience. (Maybe 1/4 of the crowd continued to sing the "How long..." part after the band left.

On May 10, they ended the show with Vertigo--all I can say is wow--It was fantastic.

I personally like when the closing song is more of a hit that everyone knows. For example--When I saw Pearl Jam a couple years ago, they ended the show with "Alive." The crowd was insane---talk about ending on a high note.

Great closers in this same vein for U2 would be "Bad," "All I Want Is You," "With or Without You," or hell, I'd even like to see them go out with "I Will Follow." The only exception to this rule is "Love is Blindness." Probably the best closer that U2 has had.

I agree. I still like 40, it closed the show I went to, but it sounded much better in the 80s. All of the other songs you have mentioned would be great, and you could not be more right about Love is Blindness being the best closer ever. In fact, I would close the next tour as follows:

40- only for select shows, maybe 2 or 3 per leg.
Rotate relatively equally: All I want is you, Bad and Love is Blindness/Can't Help falling in love. Love is blindness is the perfect, pleading anthem that examines the state of the world just like 40, except it has that amazing Edge guitar solo when Bono can pull up a girl for a last dance. Then Cant help falling in love as Bono walks back to the main stage to leave with the band is just out of this world and a perfect way to say goodbye and thank you to the crowd. Some would walk out singing the rest of cant help falling in love, the rest would be talking about what an incredible edge solo they saw w/ love is blindness.

Don't think it will be played next tour, maybe on special occasions, maybe. But I've had to wait 13 years to listen to this tune in concert – because U2 decided not to play it from 1992-2001, apart from a very few exceptions some thousand miles away from my country. I loved it to be performed in 2005, it was simply mindblowing imo. Hope, that everybody here, who desires to listen to it live, might get the chance somewhere in future ...

Back
Top Bottom