3rd leg SUCKS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astoria

Babyface
i dunno why more people haven't commented on it, but what is u2 thinking with the 3rd leg? They didn't change a single thing. All they have done is drop songs. and what did they add, 1 crappy benefit song in What's going on? Bono, if you read this, i ask you, what's going on? oh, and they've changed the lyrics to New York. Big deal, the song sucks anyways. it's one of the worst songs u2 have ever written. And now it seems to be in the encore. ahhh. obviously done only because of sept 11. well, i'd almost rather hear the band play god bless america than new york. Looking at the past 2 chicago set lists has really disturbed me. the same old show with the same changes.. ie all i want instead of bad... desire instead of angel.. the only new song is i still haven't found. i'm sure everyone at those 2 shows also went to at least 1 of the 4 they played last time around. and they are barely playing for 2 hours. you'd think a band like u2 could play for 2 1/2 at the least. especially with what they are charging. well, i just thought i should vent my frustrations. it seems to me like they are just blowing off the 3rd leg. if this continues, i may just give away my msg ga's. hey u2, what's going on?

Give away your tix then. I'm sure there are people out there who've been to 10 shows and heard the same setlist that would love to go and never complain once.
mad.gif

------------------
Member of Larry's Stick Keepers Association. "It's all about drums."

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

You don't want your tickets? I'll take them. In fact, I'm sure there are 101 people on this board who would take them no problem-o, sistah.

I want you to keep in mind that the band has been on tour now for...what? CLose to a year? Do you know how LONG that is? No wonder the shows are shorter! They're probably exhausted!

I for one saw the first leg show in Toronto, and saw the third leg show in Hamilton. HAmilton, BY FAR, was the better show. The energy, the enthusiasm, etc. I hadn't heard--Bad, Still Haven't Found, People Get Ready, Shine Like Stars, What's Going On--I for one, would much rather not hear God Bless America than NEw York. U2 isn't American. Why should they have to play it? New York is an original song--it's filled with emotion, and I for one, think it captures the essence of the city perfectly.

Wow... I really dont know what to say here - I was at Montreal and both Chicago shows and I can't complain about a single thing - too bad you feel this way - I can name 5 people right now that would take your GAs in a heartbeat.

------------------
"Edge, it's you she wants...it's you!...I know him! He's in my band!" Bono - Zoo Boston, 1992
- Kathleen -

you know what, astoria? you sound just like the spoiled american that everyone around the world hates. i'm sure that people in latin america, asia, and australia (to name just a few) really appreciates your bitching about the setlist, seeing as U2 has not even come to their countries for a single concert.

please give away your MSG tickets to someone who appreciates what the band is doing.

Sorry, but I was at both Chicago shows (I was in the heart in front of Adam the second night) and while their setlists weren't dripping with originality, I have nothing but good things to say about both shows. The guys were clearly having a good time. How many times does Larry give out his sticks? He did it both nights here. And as far as I know Adam doesn't usually shake hands with audience members after the show. But he did here. Clearly, these shows meant a lot to them, too much to simply "blow off".

I simply disagree with you on New York. I think it's a brilliant song, but I'm not going to argue with you, since I'm unlikely to convince you. But the lyrical changes were amazing. They changed the entire feel of the song and they are wonderful words of support for New York.

And as for paying for two hours, what's the problem? Two hours is a damn long show. Maybe they didn't play every song I wanted to hear (but then I didn't really expect them to play Acrobat
wink.gif
) but how can we complain about a two hour show when they gave their all on every song? Just my opinion. I hope you change your mind, keep your msg GAs, go to the show, and have an amazing time.

------------------
"I buy socks."
-Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink.

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"
-Bill Flanagan, at an after-concert soiree with the band and Co.

"We're thinking of playing a show in Chicago every Monday night. What do you think? We could get a place here. Edge could open up a corner grocery. Ok, a hardware store. Larry could open a securities business. Adam could be Larry's body guard."
-Bono, Chicago: 10-16-01

they had time off between the 2nd and 3rd legs. You'd think that at the very least, they could change up the setlists. i'm sure some of you must agree with that. this u2, the best band in the world. they could do whatever they wanted on stage, and it wouldn't make any difference. so how about having a little fun out there. try some new things. come on u2, throw in electric co. or a b side.. anything just to mix it up a bit.

Originally posted by astoria:
they could do whatever they wanted on stage, and it wouldn't make any difference.
really ???
than what are you whining about?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Set lists rarely change during tours. Look at the set lists for the different legs of PopMart. Few changes. The only reason Zoo TV had major changes was because they had a second album out by the end, so they got to trumpet both AB and Zooropa. But this isn't Zoo TV. Be lucky they came back this time. If you want to bitch about ticket prices, that's a separate debate, but, content-wise, it was as great as any of their other tours.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I'm so tired of people complaining about setlists, what they did and did not play etc. They didnt have to come back for the 3rd leg, can we just be friggin happy that they did??? Any chance to see U2 is a gift wrapped in gold.

------------------
Some Days Are Slippy, Other Days Are Sloppy

New forum smilie suggestions click here!

Originally posted by *Ally*:
you know what, astoria? you sound just like the spoiled american that everyone around the world hates. i'm sure that people in latin america, asia, and australia (to name just a few) really appreciates your bitching about the setlist, seeing as U2 has not even come to their countries for a single concert.

please give away your MSG tickets to someone who appreciates what the band is doing.

I'm American and I'm frankly kinda offended by your "spoiled American" comment. But to put it into perspective, your complaint has more merit than astoria's, imho.

[This message has been edited by clarityat3am (edited 10-17-2001).]

Let me get this straight. You think that having setlists that aren't tailor made to your specifications, even at concerts you do not attend, is a problem? Should the band run everything by you? Are you going to pick which songs go on the next album? Do you get to design the cover? Boy, I envy you. You're such an important person! I wish I could be just as important as you are! That's so cool that you get to decide what the band gets to say, do, and perform.

What? You don't? You're just talking out your ass and acting like an ungrateful idiot? Huh. I never would have guessed.

Originally posted by astoria:
they had time off between the 2nd and 3rd legs.

You're forgetting that Bono's father died two months ago. I'm sure he had more important things on his mind during that time than setlists.

If you don't wan't your GAs then just sell them to a real fan.

Astoria: You are a major a**hole.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Considering that other acts have cancelled their European Tours (Janet Jackson, Brittany Spears, Destiny's Child) due to the recent attacks, I think we are blessed to get U2 to come to the US and perform. Since it is clear the US is under attack and not Europe.

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
I'm American and I'm frankly kinda offended by your "spoiled American" comment. But to put it into perspective, your complaint has more merit than astoria's, imho.

[This message has been edited by clarityat3am (edited 10-17-2001).]

Clarityat3am: I'm also American. I'm not trying to say that all Americans are spoiled- I don't believe that's true at all. However, while reading Astoria's comments, all I could think about was how spoiled and obnoxious this person seemed. And, yes, many people around the world have that stereotype of us. Unfortunately, Astoria is not doing much to improve our reputation, IMHO....

I agree w/ melon- Since when are the 3rd leg of tours supposed to change so drastically?
This is so lame. You bitch and moan now, but I guarantee you'll be bawling your eyes out @ MSG. Like the others have been saying, if you hate it so much, don't go.
Oh yeah- New York rocks.

Hey Astoria:

I'm really interested in the GA's you're giving away.. I paid a lot for the nosebleeds in MSG just to be in the house, so your GA's would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by *Ally*:
Clarityat3am: I'm also American. I'm not trying to say that all Americans are spoiled- I don't believe that's true at all. However, while reading Astoria's comments, all I could think about was how spoiled and obnoxious this person seemed. And, yes, many people around the world have that stereotype of us. Unfortunately, Astoria is not doing much to improve our reputation, IMHO....

Understood.
smile.gif

On a related, but slightly different note not worthy of a whole new thread so I'll stick it here--I finally watched the webcast rebroadcast last night and thought it was a great show. But I did notice that Bono seemed to spend much more time on the stage and less at the tip of the heart than on the 1st leg. Has that been true in general on this leg so far? Just curious since my tickets are GC close to the tip of the heart and while I'm just happy to have great seats, I'm wondering if I should prepare myself for not having as many tip experiences as I was hoping for.

As for this thread, geesh, some people are never satisfied. I agree with Any chance to see U2 is a gift wrapped in gold. If you find a better R&R show than this one, go for it.

Astoria, it`s called a tour. You don`t change everything when you're doing the same tour.
They play the same songs (with a few songs changing every night) and use the same stage, the same clothes, the same concept...

Next tour (...), they'll change things. Just consider yourself lucky to see them.. Just hearing Where the Streets Have No Name or Mysterious Ways live is worth going even if they play songs you don't want to hear (ie New York)

And expect the MSG shows to be different after everything that has happened there...

Back
Top Bottom