3rd Leg Is Now Very Important...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pvanort

The Fly
IMO the 3rd leg will be happening at a time when many need something like this most. Not only to lift spirits and take our minds away for a moment, but to give a feeling of standing strong and moving on. I now believe it important that these shows happen as planned, especially the shows in and near NYC. I also think this 3rd leg will be on an emotional level that many in the U.S. have never been witness to...

------------------
"I'm already gone... Felt that way all along..."

I think you're right. I need Elevation more than ever now.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Just a thought, maybe they will air the NYC shows on tv live
smile.gif

All I'm listening to now is a mix of ATYCLB that goes:

(1) Stuck
(2) Walk On
(3) Kite
(4) When I Look at the World
(5) New York
(6) Grace

This has been one of the only things that gets me through all this. Many people have already mentioned that the second half of ATYCLB has taken on a whole different meaning in light of this tragedy. I completely agree. The second half used to be the most misunderstood part of ATYCLB. Many people didn't really care for songs like New York, Peace on Earth and Grace. I wouldn't be surprised if they include these songs in the third leg. The third leg is going to be an incredible and hopefully a healing experience.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

I agree... We need Bono's words, and all the lads' music. By the way, I wanna see them sometime soon. I'm getting kinda worried...

------------------
~Vero
"Well if you dream then dream out loud...Always"

Yes the music will have a whole new feel and meaning to it.

rainote.gif

------------------
Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics In The Stew
Happily Not Like Me And You
That's where I lost you....

Sicy's Website

I agree that the second half of ATYCLB has taken on new meaning with many, including myself. I think some of this material should be added to the setlist for this leg. Especially "Peace on Earth", which I think would be extremely powerful and moving...

------------------

IvanClaytonJr,
Actually, I heard Bad on the way home on Tuesday, and as a New Yorker, I couldn't help but feel it was so appropriate. The tragic loss, the searching for an answer, but a hope that we will make it through.

[This message has been edited by u2wandering (edited 09-13-2001).]

I agree! U2 music as a uniter, as a message of peace, as a conveyer of hope, we need it now! The band live, that has looked at violence in their own country so much, will certainly have the right words to say to a nation in mourning. It will be an emotional outlet for us all (at least those lucky enough to attend!) I will be interested to see if they include POE, especially since it's being played on radio all across the nation now!

Originally posted by Calluna:

The second half used to be the most misunderstood part of ATYCLB. Many people didn't really care for songs like New York, Peace on Earth and Grace. I wouldn't be surprised if they include these songs in the third leg.

I agree with you. New York and Peace on Earth especially have fuller meanings for me now, especially in the way i will remember this year. It's the same way 'Kite' never really hit me until the story of Bono's father's passing and how the song had achieved a new meaning for him personally. It's almost eerie how this album turned out to be so well fitted to this year. It has been on a personal level as well.

Originally posted by u2wandering:
IvanClaytonJr,
Actually, I heard Bad on the way home on Tuesday, and as a New Yorker, I couldn't help but feel it was so appropriate. The tragic loss, the searching for an answer, but a hope that we will make it through.

[This message has been edited by u2wandering (edited 09-13-2001).]
Yes , i know it is a great song , i just wanted to say that Grace - Where the streets have no name will be an awesome connection
And it will be something really new , fresh also .

"LOVE, LIFT ME UP OUT OF THESE BLUES......"

------------------
"As guests on MTV in '82 -Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry - they were asked to describe what they had that separated them from other artists, what made them special. If you think about it, it was a pretty ballsy question, but then again the channel was young. U2 simply responded, 'Watch us and see.' So here we are almost two decades, thirteen albums, millions of fans and more than 50 music videos later, we find ourselves still watching.

Their music - the unforgettable fires and the streets with no names - stretched far beyond the sonic landscape. The beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart. When Bono shouts 'This is not a rebel song' at the start of 'Sunday, Bloody Sunday', we know that it really is. It is the sound of a generation rebelling against its own indifference.

And yes, the rumors are true. These four lads from Dublin are, indeed, rock stars. They smoke. They drink. They use bad language in mixed company. They're extremely rich and they can flash more bling than most posses in this room. They have also - they have also done more than most governments to eliminate debt in Third World countries. Rock stars they are, and God bless them for that.

What really separates U2 from the rest, more importantly, is relevance. The only thing that keeps an artists credible and alive for this long is relevance. From Boy to Joshua Tree to All That You Can't Leave Behind, this is what music feels like when it's done right. It's a fist in the air, a kick in the balls, and two hearts beating as one, and we have it all on video for you."

You know...

After just watching a news telecast that broadcast the tearful answering machine message of a wife on the 101st floor of one of the towers professing her undying love to her husband in San Francisco after the plane hit her building...

After watching the president of a company fight back waves of sobbing and say he has to find a way to keep his company alive in order to provide assistance to the families of the 700 employees of his that are lost in the rubble...

After seeing pictures of people lined up at the NY Armory with pictures of loved ones, hoping against all odds that someone has seen them alive...

I have to think that the third leg of this tour is now very insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Let me explain that better. I'm struggling to get a grip on the amount of life not only lost, but torn apart at their very foundation. The sheer immensity of this and what it means is truly hard to grasp. While I agree that this upcoming leg of the tour could be very intense and emotional and important in a musical sense and in U2's history, and may help in the healing process in some small way, there's another part of me that feels almost guilty at being so eager to see U2 again while so many families may not find out for days, weeks, or even months, what happened to their loved ones.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 09-14-2001).]

I'm not saying that a rock concert is more important than the recent tragedies, or the events surrounding them. I'm also not suggesting that anyone disregard, ignore, or try to forget(which I don't believe any of us ever will) what is happening. I DO believe that we have to be strong and try to continue on as best as possible, by doing normal trivial things like going to rock n' roll shows. I don't want to sound harsh, but the whole point of terrorism is to make the survivors lives more miserable, and these bastards must not get their wish. So, I feel these shows are important in a entirely different way...

------------------

Originally posted by Diemen:
You know...

After just watching a news telecast that broadcast the tearful answering machine message of a wife on the 101st floor of one of the towers professing her undying love to her husband in San Francisco after the plane hit her building...

After watching the president of a company fight back waves of sobbing and say he has to find a way to keep his company alive in order to provide assistance to the families of the 700 employees of his that are lost in the rubble...

After seeing pictures of people lined up at the NY Armory with pictures of loved ones, hoping against all odds that someone has seen them alive...

I have to think that the third leg of this tour is now very insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Let me explain that better. I'm struggling to get a grip on the amount of life not only lost, but torn apart at their very foundation. The sheer immensity of this and what it means is truly hard to grasp. While I agree that this upcoming leg of the tour could be very intense and emotional and important in a musical sense and in U2's history, and may help in the healing process in some small way, there's another part of me that feels almost guilty at being so eager to see U2 again while so many families may not find out for days, weeks, or even months, what happened to their loved ones.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 09-14-2001).]

Very well said. As much as I would love to see U2 in the fall, I just don't have the (spirit) to do it at this time...
frown.gif

The third leg is not very important. U2 is a great band, I've been listening to their albums and its been helping but the band's tour is inconsequential at this point.

Originally posted by pvanort:
I'm not saying that a rock concert is more important than the recent tragedies, or the events surrounding them. I'm also not suggesting that anyone disregard, ignore, or try to forget(which I don't believe any of us ever will) what is happening. I DO believe that we have to be strong and try to continue on as best as possible, by doing normal trivial things like going to rock n' roll shows. I don't want to sound harsh, but the whole point of terrorism is to make the survivors lives more miserable, and these bastards must not get their wish. So, I feel these shows are important in a entirely different way...

I agree. It is unspeakably horrid what has happened this week, and unbelievably sad, but we must move on and keep the spirit of this country alive and well. We must show that we will not be broken. I am grieving just as much as anyone for the lost, and I am running through the same gamut of emotions as anyone else. I know it will be hard when the third leg comes around, but it will just stand to prove once again how healing and how powerful music really can be.

It's helped me enormously this week, as I'm sure it has others.

I would feel quite guilty asking for a music concert to lift my spirits, given all the emotion one has dealt with personally (birth, death and war). But life does continue, and to disregard and prohibit the spiritual experience a U2 concert can bring to anyone who witnesses one would go in the face of what music stands for. Ask anyone from Sarajevo.

"Peace on earth...I need it now!!!!!!"

This whole thing is unbelievably devastating, so at this time I can hardly even think about U2, but if they come, I believe that it will most definitely help lift the spirits of those who attend the shows.
PEACE ON EARTH

Back
Top Bottom