30 Years Ago Tommorrow? Sunday Bloody Sunday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was at the neighborhood kareoke bar some U2 fans and the DJ came to me and said tommorrow marks the 30 yr anniversary of the massacare Bono wrote about in SBS.
Is this accurate?

Resident Irish folk w/accurate information please feel free to clarify..

-Lazy
-Mad1
others
Bono??Edge? Larry Adam-nevermind.

Thanks-
Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

I'm not sure about the exact date, but I saw where it happened two weeks ago. I was in Derry in Northern Ireland where it happened as apart of my trip to Ireland. Very chilling to see that place from a distance along with murals or paintings on the sides of buildings.

Yeah, actually I believe it is the anniversary tomorrow. January 30, 1972...
frown.gif

Thanks for pointing it out Diamond, I didn't even realize.

Well I could comment, esp after what one Prd said on the talk show the other night, but I shouldnt,,,,,,its might be offensive......thought I wouldnt want it to be that way, as I personally stand outside any political issues here............and Im not 'irish' irish as irish is..........NI is mixed....

Mad, were you talking about that debate-type programme they showed after the 'Sunday' film on Monday night? I thought what the person representing the army said was really offensive.

yes, but no no not taht, now things were said that were never knew about, things about this Bogside march.........but Im talking about the Prodestant and what he said, closer to end of programme......

Look it bloody baffles me, talk of a nail-bomb in someones pocket, or else a British soldier planting it there to cover their asses, blah blah............I dont listen anymore, only to what the Prods are saying cause they're feckin right!

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 01-30-2002).]

If any of you are near the NYC area, you should go to an exhibit at the International Center of Photography in Manhattan. They presently have an exhibit about Bloody Sunday that includes photos, newspaper and actual artifacts from the victims' families-- a rosary, sweater, a candy bar one mother was told by her son to save until he came back from the march [he never returned]. Plus, eye witness accounts. It was just absolutely mind blowing and for someone like me who didn't know alot about the actual incident, it was a eye opening experience. I still don't understand how the British government can contend that they were provoked to attack. And I still don't understand how two Christian groups can kill one another, killing that still goes on today on both sides of the conflict. How long must we sing this song?

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
When I was at the neighborhood kareoke bar some U2 fans and the DJ came to me and said tommorrow marks the 30 yr anniversary of the massacare Bono wrote about in SBS.

Thanks-
Diamond

Hi DB9 , it's so good to see ya
biggrin.gif

Here are some other intersting facts for you.

101 years ago........ a great Russian Composer was born - Isaak Osipovich Dunaevsky

54 years ago............Steve Marriot played in groups : small Faces , Humble Pie .

32 years ago........Beatles gave thier last live perfomance on the roof of "Abeey Road " studios , during lunch - break

19 years ago .......Death Of Sam Hopkins ( american bluesman ) , music nickname " lightnin "

Originally posted by sharky:
I still don't understand how the British government can contend that they were provoked to attack. And I still don't understand how two Christian groups can kill one another, killing that still goes on today on both sides of the conflict. How long must we sing this song?

I don't understand that either. I think the point is that even if you believe that the army did hear shots or were in fact fired at, it would NEVER justify the murder of fourteen people. There's a new inquiry going on now which isn't expected to publish its conclusions until 2004. Some people have said there shouldn't be another enquiry as what that does is to highlight what happened on Bloody Sunday but fail to talk about other atrocities carried out by either the IRA or Unionist paramilitary groups such as the UDA or UVF. But the difference is, that on Bloody Sunday you had the British army, claiming to act in the name of the British people. Don't people deserve to know whose orders they were acting on? Not to mention that after the initial inquiry, the families of the people killed were basically told that the people they had lost had been carrying weapons and that in a sense they'd provoked what happened. Don't they deserve to know the truth about how people they loved were killed?

I know people suggest that having another inquiry is just drawing this out and that it's stopping people from moving on and trying to work on some sort of peace process. And yes, in a way, people do have to be able to put all those events behind them and work towards making sure they stop and don't happen again. But then again, it's really easy for me to say people should move on, it's really easy for anyone who wasn't directly involved to say people should move on. I just don't think that anyone can dictate to people when they should get over something or forget having lost someone they loved.

Ah, I don't know. I contradicted myself about twelve times there.

Its interesting you mentioned Fizz. Some of the eyewitness accounts in this NYC exhibit talk about people who were shot and either dead or dying and how their bodies were immediately scooped up by British troops not to be seen by any Irish person for several hours after the entire incident. Then you hear about a victim who was hiding in a phone booth and came out with a white hankerchief in his hand so he could simply try to help someone who was injured-- and then being shot in the face by a British soldier. He had his hands in the air with a sign of surrender and they still shot him. I really need to start reading up on this more but the more I learn about it, the more it doesn't make sense.

Look its a looooooong inquiry with a lot of twists and turns......and millions of money put in as a feckin waste (in my opinion) just so as the IRA get their justice.......as one above said, one Prod mentioned how his family (5) where killed in unwarned bombings by the IRA and like - where was the inquiry for that one, for justice.......

Me mam says its the IRA.......all they want is justice for whats done to them, but they still happy enough to go ahead and keep killing, blah blah blah...............

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 01-30-2002).]

Originally posted by sharky:
And I still don't understand how two Christian groups can kill one another, killing that still goes on today on both sides of the conflict. How long must we sing this song?

I am not Irish, therefore I have no business discussing it, but I did hear one Northern Irishman say once that the troubles in Ireland are actually about 2 things.
The Protestant/Catholic thing but also the British government in Ireland still and he said that its been going on so long that its become 2 separate issues. He also said that because its been going on so long, many have forgotten why they are actually fighting.

What you said sharky, I suppose is the most ironic part.I always think the same thing about the IRA and the Mafia.
Certain groups within the IRA and the Mafia are known for being murderers, yet they are also known for being Catholics.
But then think about many of the wars that have happened in this world, how can there even be such a thing as a "Holy War"?
Religion is good?

Originally posted by Charlie's Angel:
What you said sharky, I suppose is the most ironic part.I always think the same thing about the IRA and the Mafia.
Certain groups within the IRA and the Mafia are known for being murderers, yet they are also known for being Catholics.
But then think about many of the wars that have happened in this world, how can there even be such a thing as a "Holy War"?
Religion is good?

And if you start talking about that, you can also bring in the Sept. 11 stuff. Really, religion is a good thing, patriotism is a good thing, ONLY if its practiced without pushing it on other cultures and acting like your beliefs are the only beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom