3 thoughts on "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
spencr00 said:
am I the only person who likes the production of 'Sometimes'?

The live version of Sometimes is incredible. I wont be able to hold back tears on tour.

It's a toss up...

I really like the way its produced, very well done IMO.

of course 'One' evokes nostalgia, the fuckign song is 13 years old. It's weathered the highs and the lows and subsequently three long durating tours. It's still amongst the top 2 or 3 U2 songs on a consensus basis.

Forgive me, while I laugh at the comparisons between that particular song and a new song that isn't even a MONTH old.

Call me nostalgic, but if you've seen a song last for a fuckign decade, then chances are it's not gonna wilt. A song that is candy to your ears now may not be in 10 months, much less 10 years.

My opinion of SOmtimes is that it's a nice elegy from Bono to his father. It's a fine song on it's own. It's not asked to be compared amongst U2's greatest songs yet. It's just frustrating to read this stuff constantly. It's just begging for people to get into arguments over era vs era etc.

U2 aren't the same band they were in '83 or '88 or '93 or '98. There is no point in being nostalgic about those eras and hoping for U2 to return to those sounds, it's not going to happen, they will break up first.

At the same time don't try to sell me the goods about how this song can be compared to something like 'One'. It insults the intelligence of anyone with a lick of sense. In years, maybe. Sure, I think the song coud do great things.

Just think for how great some of you think that some of these songs are, and how great this album is, this has been the reaction for years and for every album. This very forum saw the fawning over ATYCLB. That is all but extinct anymore.

Some songs are standards for reasons, they didn't get that way by just becoming old. They are standards because they are great, and they are old by virtue of being still around and relevant for years.

I just think the song is great by itself. And while you might paint someone silly with 'nostalgic' others might paint younger fans wanting their "One" or "Streets", because honestly it hasn't happened yet.

To add to what was stated perfectly by U2DMfan, it's not about whether YOU think Sometimes is as good or better. People are taking this way too personally. The original thread was about Sometimes becoming a bigger classic than one. Yes, it's too hard to tell right now. But from a musical and songwriting standpoint, we CAN compare them right now. And aside from the obvious lyrical importance, it's not as impressive.

I'll say again that Edge's guitar work on One is something that really sells the emotion, especially in the last 45 seconds or so. The comparable work in Sometimes isn't even close, and it's rather familiar. Does anyone care to comment on or dispute this?

Take a step back and try to be objective. I like both songs a lot, and One is far from my favorite. But I don't see this one as much of a contest. U2 also isn't nearly as popular as they were back in 1991/92. Do you realize how many albums AB sold? For such a dark, innovative recording that's pretty impressive. They aren't popular enough for Sometimes to hit the peak that One did.

laz

lazarus said:
To U2 also isn't nearly as popular as they were back in 1991/92. Do you realize how many albums AB sold? For such a dark, innovative recording that's pretty impressive. They aren't popular enough for Sometimes to hit the peak that One did.

laz

AB sold 17 million, ATYCLB has sold 13-14m in only 4 years! and the new one is going great guns..

Like I said, nostalgia. :)

And to add, I prefer not to break songs down to a science...I love SYCMIOYO becasue of the emotions it evokes in me when I listen to it, the whole song is a complete piece that to me matches One..you talk about One being superior musically, but I think the newer ballad has One trumped in the vocal department with the "can you hear me sing" part? raw, naked emotion.

And this is from someone who has One up there in my top 3 U2 songs.

I love SYCMIOYO, but I sometimes wonder if I would love it as much if I didn't know the story behind it. I think it will achieve "classic" status if the general public can see the universal message in it and be moved by it, even if they don't necessarily know the specific circumstances that inspired it.

I have a hard time believing it will ever equal or surpass One, however. That's a song someone as different from Bono as Johnny Cash can sing and it's still fantastic.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
This very forum saw the fawning over ATYCLB. That is all but extinct anymore.

This forum has a very big and strong bias for 90's U2.
If we could ask the fans from the 80's I bet ATYCLB is very much liked and approved of, or the new fans that got on board with that album. As far as I know, majority of people here have no problems with it.

U2girl said:

This forum has a very big and strong bias for 90's U2.
If we could ask the fans from the 80's I bet ATYCLB is very much liked and approved of, or the new fans that got on board with that album. As far as I know, majority of people here have no problems with it.

I don't think there is a bias towards 90's U2, I think the bias is towards Achtung Baby, to be honest. And the fact that it's largely considered to be their best album (on this forum) would make this not a big surprise.

I am a fan of the 80's and I became a fan in the 80's but that fact has nothing to do with my opinion of ATYCLB.

I just think that the overall sentiment of Interference posters is considerably less enthusiastic about ATYCLB than it was, say two years ago. Bono even remarked about this in a recent interview. The album isn't as grower, really. And I understand that's subjective, but how many people really post a lot about how those strongs are growing on them 4 years after their release?

It's really semantics, and it was just one line out of two long posts I made, so I won't spend any more time on it.

I think it's a good album that is not aging well, that's just my take.

Really? How about the milions of POP supporting threads and lots of ATYCLB/HTDAAB bashing posts?

The only people who still dislike (or should I say hate) ATYCLB, and not surprisingly, are those who feel 90's U2 is the be all and end all of the band - I think you know who I mean. Typically, those people mind HTDAAB too.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Really? How about the milions of POP supporting threads and lots of ATYCLB/HTDAAB bashing posts?

Millions of flies can't be wrong... hehehehehehehe

If Pop needs a supporting thread, it is because it is controversial and U2 fans are divided on it. We all pretty much agree that AB is a masterpiece.

U2girl said:
The only people who still dislike (or should I say hate) ATYCLB, and not surprisingly, are those who feel 90's U2 is the be all and end all of the band - I think you know who I mean. Typically, those people mind HTDAAB too. [/B]

You know what I really dislike? Splitting the U2 fans into categories. I dislike ATYCLB. For me, it's a lifeless album. I love the 80's. The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree are phenomenal. And I think HTDAAB has the power to overpass the both of them.
It is all a matter of personal taste. Many people on this forum think ATYCLB is weak. I happen to know U2 fans who lost their faith after that album. I hope this is restored after HTDAAB. So, I think you're wrong that only the 80's ignorants and 90's fanatics (by the way, I do adore AB and Pop) hate ATYCLB. It has nothing to do with that.

And I know fans who lost their faith of U2 with "Zooropa" but came back with ATYCLB. Your point???

It's all opinion. "One" will probably always be cherished more for its more universal overtones. "Sometimes..." is personal - but anyone dealing with a close relative or cherished one in his/her life can relate. For example, my father was recently diagnosed with an illness. That put "Sometimes..." on a whole new level for me - and made it more dear than "One" (as brilliant as "One" is).

djerdap said:

You know what I really dislike? Splitting the U2 fans into categories. I dislike ATYCLB. For me, it's a lifeless album. I love the 80's. The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree are phenomenal. And I think HTDAAB has the power to overpass the both of them.
It is all a matter of personal taste. Many people on this forum think ATYCLB is weak. I happen to know U2 fans who lost their faith after that album. I hope this is restored after HTDAAB. So, I think you're wrong that only the 80's ignorants and 90's fanatics (by the way, I do adore AB and Pop) hate ATYCLB. It has nothing to do with that.

I don't like splitting fans either, but it happens.

I think HTDAAB surpasses Unforgettable fire, and I don't think it can get past Joshua Tree.

Taste, yes - that does not make it a FACT. Many people on this forum also got to know U2 in the 90's and it shows. Many, if not all, of those who dislike ATYCLB/HTDAAB, say exactly that: "I don't like it because it's not experimental."
So how am I wrong in saying 90's fanatics hate it? It has everything to do with that. 80's fans don't seem to have as much a problem with ATYCLB.

Lots - and most likely more - of fans also lost their faith after AB, so? Luckily they came back with ATYCLB.

SYCMIOYO is a masterpiece! here in the UK it only hit the radio about 2 weeks ago and on VIRGIN RADIO it was the 26th most requested song of the whole of 2004! bloody remarkable! i feel in time this will sit very nicely next to ONE and WITH OR WITHOUT YOU but i am not gonna say which is the best out of the 3!

Whew! When I opened this thread I never meant it to become a "Sometimes vs. One" thread. Had I known that I would draw such hostile fire from some of the learned scholars of U2ology I might have just silently enjoyed the song (without daring to make the apparently blasphemous suggestion that any song could ever approach the divinity of "One").

Maybe we need a new thread with the title, "One...probably U2's most divisive song to date." Oh, the irony.

Back
Top Bottom