2nd WITS Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like this video, but the first one is one of the best videos the band has ever given us. Definitely prefer the first one.

I like this one much more than the first video, and I seem to be in the minority. The first one didn't really make me feel anything positive. It just rubbed me the wrong way to see a U2 song 'performed' by other artists (especially when I feel that some of the artists in the video are better than U2 themselves.) Yes yes yes, I know the point of the video was to show that U2 are fans as well, but I just didn't like it. Plus, it looked like it was slapped together in a couple of minutes. This one looks like some effort actually went into it. I also enjoy the whole sentimental idea behind it...kind of reminds me why I got into U2 in the first place.

First video is pretty cool but I really like this second video. Feels very surreal with an MC Escher vibe to it. Video is making me like the song more than I actually did just hearing it on the radio (it's best live, like many U2 songs).

Wow. WOW. I loved the first video so much, I didn't think I could love anything better. This is so much better! I feel like I just went on a roller coaster trip through U2land or something :faint:

I like the second one better, but I think one of them should have had U2 performing at least.

Both videos seem to imply to me the end of something. I'm not hoping they split but if it means they go out gracefully, unlike the Rolling Stones, well thats cool.

TWO great videos? Amazing.
And none of them featuring the band performing. This kind of reminds me of the band's 90's non-performance videos. Creative, yet capturing the feel of the song so well. Not a dull moment in there.

The only pity, as mentioned, is the lack of post Joshua Tree U2. That will surely stir up a lot of debate.

I also think that kind of video but be cool for U2's last ever single release... but with some actual reality mixed in there. By the time that happens, technology may dazzle us even more.

The video seems to mainly focus on the first few years, There's hardly anything post-1982, except for the Live Aid shot, and the field of Joshua Trees (but no actual shots of the band from the JT era), and there were a few things from the 90s, like the Achtung Baby baby face thing, and the U2 in Sarajevo posters, I don't see it as an omission of post-1987 U2, but more like, a focus on pre-1983 U2.

I like it a lot, very nice.
But something about it makes me feel uneasy. I don't know why.

Not dizzy uneasy either. Can't put my finger on it. :shrug:

the beatles are so lame. they watch u2 doing streets on the roof of a building, and there you have mccartney singing get back on top of a building. morons. :tsk:

btw. xavi, have you checked your email?

U2Man said:
the beatles are so lame. they watch u2 doing streets on the roof of a building, and there you have mccartney singing get back on top of a building. morons. :tsk:

btw. xavi, have you checked your email?

check your email buddy:wave:

jinn77 said:
Both videos seem to imply to me the end of something. I'm not hoping they split but if it means they go out gracefully, unlike the Rolling Stones, well thats cool.

The video really makes me feel like something's coming to an end as well. It's so nostalgic. I can't figure out if it's just further emphasis on the greater respect U2 appear to have for their early work, or if there's a deeper meaning to it. I got the same impression from the Vertigo tour. It seemed as though they were stepping through their entire career, what with the mini Zoo TV segment and everything. Almost like a goodbye of sorts. But then again, Bono has said something to the effect of they feel like they're a new band again. Maybe that's why there's so much emphasis being placed on early U2 in this video? The whole idea of being reborn as a band, maybe?

GibsonGirl said:

The video really makes me feel like something's coming to an end as well. It's so nostalgic. I can't figure out if it's just further emphasis on the greater respect U2 appear to have for their early work, or if there's a deeper meaning to it. I got the same impression from the Vertigo tour. It seemed as though they were stepping through their entire career, what with the mini Zoo TV segment and everything. Almost like a goodbye of sorts. But then again, Bono has said something to the effect of they feel like they're a new band again. Maybe that's why there's so much emphasis being placed on early U2 in this video? The whole idea of being reborn as a band, maybe?
Ah that's it. There's why I felt uneasy. I agree, mhm.

U2Man said:

After writing creative & experimental genius material like I Am The Walrus and Revolution 9, they went and wrote crap like Here Comes The Sun and Something. Such morons.

GibsonGirl said:

The video really makes me feel like something's coming to an end as well. It's so nostalgic. I can't figure out if it's just further emphasis on the greater respect U2 appear to have for their early work, or if there's a deeper meaning to it.

I think the retro vibe of the videos is consistent with U2 by U2, U218, etc. This seems to be a brief period where U2 are taking a step away from the current material and showcasing their 25-30 year past to the public.

U2Man said:
they only did that because they had seen u2 having success with atyclb. :tsk:

And don't forget soccer mom adult contemporary tripe like Let It Be, which is a direct copy of OOTS. Geez! And this is the best band of our time?

Interesting video, even if it is eerily similar to the "Free as a Bird" thing, LOL. The effects are absolutely amazing. I agree - it's a bit weird that they seem to be focusing so much on the early, early years. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom