28 pages of U2 in Q Feb 2009 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edge mentions that they're trying to keep Stand Up in a rough state and not overproduce it by putting it through Pro-Tools which cleans up imperfections. This sounds like they're not trying to overproduce!!!!

One question:

Do u consider yourself the album AB as overproduced?:cute:

Edge mentions that they're trying to keep Stand Up in a rough state and not overproduce it by putting it through Pro-Tools which cleans up imperfections. This sounds like they're not trying to overproduce!!!!

Sounds like Achtung Baby to me. :up:

Larry Mullen - I might have said too much - Interview

Good interview with Larry........key notes.......He wants to get another album out sooner than later after this release as thye've loads of material...........they got on well with Rick Rubin but just clashed as they dont like to just go in and complete songs, they need to improvise.

He says hes careful over bono-isms!!! I think they've gagged Bono a bit more on this album!

He holds no punches and wont tie the party line. He calls Tony Blair a war criminal and is uneasy seeing Bono mixing with him.

He finishes his interview as one track only has Brain Eno tapping his chest and has no drum part. Doesn't sound like this is on the songs i've mentioned in this thread.

Brian Eno said that Crazy Tonight was in a bad way which suprised Larry........it must have got worse over night........sounds like they're really cramming in the last few weeks so anything could change!!!

Maybe another album in a year or two? :drool:

Thanks for this windylad. :hyper:

So Eno thinks/thought Crazy Tonight needs significant work? Is that why will.i.am was brought in?

hmmm... only negative in a slew of amazing news.

Count me in as saying For Your Love=Stand Up as well

And clearly we now know the names of the first 4 beach clips (pretty much certain)

Two things give me some trepidation.

1. 6 versions of Stand Up.
Ok, different mixes of the same tracks, fine.
Different tracks/takes and possibly different lyrics/vocal takes is a little worrisome.
This one was said to be written late (which is why I think it's probably For Your Love rewritten). I hope Bono had the pipes to belt out the verses. He sounds great in the beach clip.

2. Two versions of NLOTH
One punk, one layered. The fact they are even considering this...smells like another Fast Cars/LNOE last minute mistake (there are others but I won't get into it now). I don't even have to hear it to think they should go with the layered song just for the sake of a creative statement. Another punk song? They could crap a punk album out in a half hour.

I am hoping they put the layered song in the track listing and maybe the punk song as a hidden track or something, a bonus.

Is it wrong that I am ignoring relatives visitng for the holidays and poring over every thread on Interference trying to glean any bit of news I can find about the album?
I gots the fever and I gots it bad!!!!

Is it wrong that I am ignoring relatives visitng for the holidays and poring over every thread on Interference trying to glean any bit of news I can find about the album?

sounds like you need more cowbell!

Without having heard NLOTH, it would be cool if they opened the album with the punk version, and closed with the other one. Kind of like what Neil Young did with Rockin in the Free World on Freedom, though I think the acoustic one opened.

Would be pretty cool in concert, too, a big improvement over Vertigo x2.

Sorry to state the obvious here, but any chance Mercy=Moment of Surrender? The length sounds similar, and what is Mercy if not a 'Moment of Surrender'?

Just putting it out there, sorry if it's already been dealt with..

Sorry to state the obvious here, but any chance Mercy=Moment of Surrender? The length sounds similar, and what is Mercy if not a 'Moment of Surrender'?

Just putting it out there, sorry if it's already been dealt with..

Yeah, that's been mentioned... I wouldn't be surprised.

give it up people, Mercy will not show up in the album!! It is a HTDAAB left over, it sucks and just because it is the same lenght as MOS it DOES NOT mean it is MOS. People should except the fact that mercy will NEVER see the light of day in an album. Maybe just a B-side for a single but its even a shitty b-side at that!

It may just be because I'm checking on here all the time whereas previously I haven't, but I'm genuinely feeling so much more excitement about this album, than I've felt in the build-up to anything since Pop! (Admittedly only two albums, but still). There seems to be a huge amount of ambition to NLOTH, not least from Bono's lyrics by the sounds of this Q article. It makes me feel like this is an album I'm going to have to make an effort with, where U2 have changed and maybe my ears aren't going to instantly appreciate it. I am desperate for U2 to challenge their hardcore fans, for them to take another risk, and it really is starting to feel that they have gone that way. Please may this album be as special as the hype suggests!

Merry Xmas folks!!! :wave:

Oh yes, I have quite a big feeling this album will be special, maybe a classic, maybe a masterpiece, maybe even the album of the decade? Who knows, we shall find out and search every second of every song to determine if it shall be that.

give it up people, Mercy will not show up in the album!! It is a HTDAAB left over, it sucks and just because it is the same lenght as MOS it DOES NOT mean it is MOS. People should except the fact that mercy will NEVER see the light of day in an album. Maybe just a B-side for a single but its even a shitty b-side at that!

Considering it's better than at least half the songs on HTDAAB, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it again. COBL was a Pop leftover after all...

Every Breaking Wave
With or Without You style pulsar that builds layers of guitars over electonically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansive drop chorus and then ultimately exploding into an ecstatic coda. Key Line: "Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"

Feel like this one or Winter incorporates music we heard in the "Dallas" u2.com clip...

Mercy is NOT Moment of Surrender. Edge has mentioned the origins of Moment of Surrender before and they are not that of Mercy. Can we please drop this now?

Not at all :applaud:

Mercy is NOT on the album, nothing can put it on there, not even the diehard Mercy fans who pray to god for it to appear on NLOTH.

The divisiveness of Mercy on these boards to this day is just insane. I'll throw my hat into the ring and say I love it :drool:, sounds like this album isn't leftovers, so maybe on the next release, but there was that recent Edge rumor of half being previous ideas... :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom