25th anniversary single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd love to hear 'A Celebration', 'City of Blinding Lights', 'Mercy', '11 O'Clock Tick Tock', and 'Stories for Boys':drool:

'Stories for Boys' is definitely gonna be on it IMO, because of Bono talking about its connections to 'Vertigo'

intedomine said:
I'd be happy to see this.

1. City of Blinding Lights (radio edit)
2. Mercy
3. A Celebration (new version)
4. A Celebration (Old version)
5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock

:up:

Nube Gris said:
"The only pain is to feel noting at all"
I hear the original lyric was, "The only pain is TO HEAR THIS SONG."

Last edited:
I hope that COBL gets a bit redone, ala Walk On

the single version kicks an insane amount of ass!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I think typhoon is hoping Bono and Ali get a divorce. That way we will never have to 'put up' with another song about their meaningless 21 year marriage.

And another thing typhoon, whatever your favorite U2 song is, I hate it. :madspit:

(I'm not intending to stir up anything, I just didn't like how you made a joke out of a song that just might mean alot to Nube Gris.)

2Hearts said:
And another thing typhoon, whatever your favorite U2 song is, I hate it. :madspit:

(I'm not intending to stir up anything, I just didn't like how you made a joke out of a song that just might mean alot to Nube Gris.)

I'm sure Nube Gris will get over the fact that she likes one of U2's worst songs.

Don't fall, it is a long way down from that high horse.

I fail to see how anyone could dislike A Man And A Woman.

A Man And A Woman is like a big hit in the waiting............honestly, I could see that song exploding on the pop, AC, alternative formats, etc........here's what I think......

Next Single: City of Blinding Lights

- Single is released in UK and Canada.....track hits US airwaves.

Then:

A Man And A Woman

- Promo sent to pop and AC formats.

Original of the Species

- Promo sent to Rock and Alternative formats

Miracle Drug

- Promo sent to Triple A and Alternative formats...

This album has a ton of potential radio hits.....(A Man And A Woman is already huge over in one European country)......here's hoping the band capitalizes on it.

Edit: I'm confused as to this whole 25th anniversary thing..........the band has been around much longer than that.......and this would be the 26th anniversary of U2:3......

Last edited:
BigMacPhisto said:
Edit: I'm confused as to this whole 25th anniversary thing..........the band has been around much longer than that.......and this would be the 26th anniversary of U2:3......

I think I already explained this earlier on in this thread, or maybe it was another one. This is the 25th anniversary of U2's association with Island Records, which began on 23 May 1980 with the worldwide release of the 11 O'clock Tick Tock single. Before that, CBS Records Ireland had pressed a couple of Irish-only singles.

EP? Brilliant idea.
'Mercy' involved? Best idea.

Mercy is one of the best of their tracks that I've heard. How it failed to make the cut for the album I fail to see. But I'm someone who doesn't much care for 'A Man and a Woman' or even 'ABOY'.

The point I'm trying to make is, any release with Mercy on it is worth buying.

inmyplace13 said:
EP? Brilliant idea.
'Mercy' involved? Best idea.

Mercy is one of the best of their tracks that I've heard. How it failed to make the cut for the album I fail to see. But I'm someone who doesn't much care for 'A Man and a Woman' or even 'ABOY'.

The point I'm trying to make is, any release with Mercy on it is worth buying.

Mercy is the most overrated U2 track on this forum.

Cheers,

J

Unless U2 does a complete U-turn in singles marketing strategy, I don't see Mercy making a b-side. I always thought it was on the "Complete U2", but I've been told it's not. So, relatively speaking, it's still an unknown song. I think U2 leaked it just enough to see what the reaction would be, and now I think it will be saved for the next album, which could even be titled "Mercy" on the strength of that song (sorry Jick...song is not overrated).

Smile is another song that could be held back for the next album. I don't know if it made the complete U2, but both songs are strong tracks that just need a little touching up.

Like I said, though, if U2 does get interested in singles sales again for this album, then that's the only way I see it being used as a B-side. The hoopla that could surround an "Anniversary" single might cause them to waste one or both of these songs as a b-side. I say "waste" 'cause they deserve to make it onto an album.

beLIEve said:
Unless U2 does a complete U-turn in singles marketing strategy, I don't see Mercy making a b-side. I always thought it was on the "Complete U2", but I've been told it's not. So, relatively speaking, it's still an unknown song. I think U2 leaked it just enough to see what the reaction would be, and now I think it will be saved for the next album, which could even be titled "Mercy" on the strength of that song (sorry Jick...song is not overrated).

Smile is another song that could be held back for the next album. I don't know if it made the complete U2, but both songs are strong tracks that just need a little touching up.

Like I said, though, if U2 does get interested in singles sales again for this album, then that's the only way I see it being used as a B-side. The hoopla that could surround an "Anniversary" single might cause them to waste one or both of these songs as a b-side. I say "waste" 'cause they deserve to make it onto an album.

Smile is on the complete U2; Mercy is not.

boystupidboy said:
Mercy is the daddy of 'unreleased u2 material':drool: :drool:
Anyone who disagrees is a cunt....thankyou:|

Anyone who goes round calling people cunts for not agreeing on a U2 SONG deserves to be shot in the kneecaps, locked in a suitcase, burnt and have their ashes pissed on...! :|

Cheers,

P

jick said:

Mercy is the most overrated U2 track on this forum.

Cheers,

J

I actually agree with you Jick,

The song begins with lots of promise but then implodes into a cheesy song. U2 tries not to release "crap band" material as he said in a VH1 special.

blahblahblah said:

Anyone who goes round calling people cunts for not agreeing on a U2 SONG deserves to be shot in the kneecaps, locked in a suitcase, burnt and have their ashes pissed on...! :|

Cheers,

P

:laugh: name calling? are you kidding? that's the funniest shit I've read in a long time.

ashes pissed on... :lmao:

I see what you're saying neutral, but the quote I referred to wasn't a direct attack. It was just hilarious. I still haven't stopped laughing.

I know, but I wasn't pointing out any specific post. Some posts in this thread have been reported...and I just wanted to cool things down a bit, this forum can get kinda nasty. :)

Last edited:
An EP with the songs from the R&R Hall of Fame Induction makes sense for the 25th Anniversary single...if COBL was the A-side, with these performances included on a 5 song EP, then it would be U2's first, and maybe last, legitimate shot at a number 1 song in the U.S. since 1987. They would have to release the CD and also a download version. It makes sense if they really want to make this a memorable and even collectable release...and it would be a smash hit around the world.

Back
Top Bottom