24 years ago today, wow who could forget!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It's St. Patrick's Day! 24 years ago today, a certain band won a certain talent contest and the world has never been the same since. Celebrate and post whatever you have about that fateful day!!!

Feedback quickly changed their name to "The Hype," and began rehearsing on weekends and after school as often as possible, forming genuine friendships and developing an undeniable chemistry in the process. After nearly 18 months of rehearsing, the band's big break came at a talent show in Limerick, Ireland, in March, 1978. With CBS Records' Jackie Hayden judging, The Hype won the contest, earning a ?500 prize and impressing Hayden enough to be given studio time to record their first demo.

Shortly after the talent show contest, The Hype changed its name to U2 and prodded a Dublin businessman named Paul McGuinness to agree to manage them.

Time sure flies when you're having fun! Happy St. Patrick's day everyone!

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Today = the bestest day ever! It just is!

------------------
March 17, 2002 - The first day of a great journey in my life. It really is a beautiful day!

Thanks for posting that...i didn't know that particular date.
smile.gif

That was 4 months before i was even born...wow.
Talk about an amazing story - who knows what else is in store for U2?

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"Not just any band...the best band on the planet." - Bono

"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge about playing live

"There's still stuff left for us to do, and that's why we still do it." - Larry, 1998

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 03-17-2002).]

There is something about this particular story that has been told wrong for years though. Someone in Ireland went back to the newspaper articles about the event and found out that they entered the contest as U2 and NOT the HYPE. They even talked to someone in a band that was competing with U2. So let it be known that U2 won this contest and not the HYPE. They did have the farwell gig for Dick a few after this, but they were already U2 at that point. To be honest it was often questionable to the band if Dick was ever really in the band, because his particpation was so random. I got that from hour long interview I have of the band from 1982.

I wasn't even born yet.. I was born during the Joshua Tree tour. They appeared on Time magazine on my birthday
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Whenever you see this kind of darkness, there is an extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter." -Bono

"Why doesn't anyone molest him?" -My mom, when Bono was walking through the crowd at the halftime show

u2er@u2email.com

I was several years off from being born. But that was still a great day.

And STING2, thanks for the info. I thought I'd heard that before, but I wasn't sure. I took the bolded info straight off of @U2.com. You should email them and set them straight.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Back in March 1978 I was 4 years old. On that day I was probably playing in the Snow living up in Niagra Falls NY. Some of my earliest memories. We got so much snow up there. I remember sledding off the roof of our house! The snow drifts were that high!

Too Bad (for me) I still had 3 1/2 years to be born!!! But thank God for it anyway!!!
And STILL rockin the world over!! Yippee!

------------------
Proud owner & lover *munch munch*(of the now late) Larry cookie

Back
Top Bottom