23/2/1998

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeef690

Acrobat
This is interesting...During the ZooTV tour during UTEOTW, the date 23/2/1998 would flash multiple times in the outro of the song. When I looked up that date, it is the same day Osama Bin Laden declared Jihad on Jews and other individuals. (info from Wikipedia)

I found this to be a very spectacular coincidence.

EDIT: They also returned to australia on the Popmart tour that date.

I found another coincidence today, perhaps a bit more painful...
during The Fly, the word Leukemia flashes over the screen several times...

^ so does rape , the list goes on.

Yeah its wierd with the bin laden stuff.

Neevr quite got down the numbers before.

Galeongirl said:
I found another coincidence today, perhaps a bit more painful...
during The Fly, the word Leukemia flashes over the screen several times...

They also did the protest at Selefield during Zoo and talked about increased risks of Leukemia due to radiation. To be honest it was the first thing I though of when I heard the news.

Dana

I've been aware of the 23/2/1998 coincidence being a prediction of their return to Australia since late 1997 when the 1998 Popmart tour dates were being rumored. Even more interesting was that 23/2/1998 was originally intended to be the date of the Sydney Popmart show when the dates were being rumored in late 1997. If this date had held, it would have acurately predicted the bands next concert in Sydney.

I've also found it interesting that in The Million Dollar Hotel, Tom Tom leaps to his death on March 24, 2001 which was the day that the Elevation tour opened in Sunrise, Florida. There's no way that back in early 1999, Bono could have known that this random day in the script would turn into an important day in U2 history. I live in L.A. and when I was in Sunrise that day for the tour opener, I remember thinking that as I was there, Bono's fictional character would have been leaping to his death back home.

Halup said:
I've been aware of the 23/2/1998 coincidence being a prediction of their return to Australia since late 1997 when the 1998 Popmart tour dates were being rumored. Even more interesting was that 23/2/1998 was originally intended to be the date of the Sydney Popmart show when the dates were being rumored in late 1997. If this date had held, it would have acurately predicted the bands next concert in Sydney.

I've also found it interesting that in The Million Dollar Hotel, Tom Tom leaps to his death on March 24, 2001 which was the day that the Elevation tour opened in Sunrise, Florida. There's no way that back in early 1999, Bono could have known that this random day in the script would turn into an important day in U2 history. I live in L.A. and when I was in Sunrise that day for the tour opener, I remember thinking that as I was there, Bono's fictional character would have been leaping to his death back home.

wow, that's pretty deep!

:love: TMDH!

Jeef690 said:
This is interesting...During the ZooTV tour during UTEOTW, the date 23/2/1998 would flash multiple times in the outro of the song. When I looked up that date, it is the same day Osama Bin Laden declared Jihad on Jews and other individuals. (info from Wikipedia)

I found this to be a very spectacular coincidence.

EDIT: They also returned to australia on the Popmart tour that date.

And now we know why Popmart was set in stone so early.

Halup said:

In the commentary to TMDH, when the camera focusses on a calendar and the date is March 23rd, Bono remarks on the significance of that date: It's Ali's birthday. He says something like, "It may not be important, but it's important to me."

Ive watched the Zoo TV DVD at least 5 times and just now decided to play around with some of the UTEOTW stuff. Thanks for the response. We should all look for more of this stuff as Zoo TV obviously played important roles in the lives of U2 (considering Bono's home and the rest of the bands appearences since the tour/album) that I'm sure there is some more significance in these "U2-isms".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom