2000 + a different edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
nothing really big but ive noticed one thing on this tour and the videos.

he has become more aggressive the way he shows off his guitar and if you notice during the boston show he actually snaps his arm way up and turn his head sideways before he comes down hard again...

i know salome will love this thought as much as i do, but maybe hes becoming more "comfortable showing off" his talents along the lines of fellow guitar-genius's as jonny greenwood?

maybe elevation is just that kind of song, but ive noticed on the video and performances ive seen of edge, he really gets into it.

personally, i love it.

am i totally alone on this as i am with so many other things?

------------------
-death bear

Nope. You're not alone. Edge likes to rock out now and it's cool!
biggrin.gif
I'm almost being converted from a Bono-gal to an Edge-gal!

Actually, I noticed this first, during the Rattle and Hum Video....during Streets (I believe). So I think he's always had "it"...maybe just feeling a bit less stressed when performing, which would allow him to just be himself.

in the 'making of JT' video, Edge said that he purposely finished out WOWY in a very low-key way when it could have been so much bigger and grander...

But I like that he's loosened up enough to 'let it out' a bit more now...I know at the Dallas show, even with the tech probs he had, Edge cranked out an amazingly crunchy solo during 'Bullet' that just blew me away....

I kind of got off on the temper tantrum he threw on the Boston DVD, since it seemed so unlike him!
icon16.gif

*slaps own face*

actually I agree with you db. i dont know much about previous tours really cos ive only seen popmart and zootv sydney but all-round he seems very comfortable this tour.

personally i thought his tantrum was great
biggrin.gif

but then again Edge is always cool
cool.gif

The Edge rocking out? Surely not!

Call the Eno Police!

------------------
"I could meet you
We could be on the same side of the table
We could talk about what kind of person
you were tryin' to attract
We could look down from on high
and laugh..."

The Edge has fookin got it, man. He's getting how to really rock out. Bugger, that ain't bad. Now we just gotta get him a little pissed and see what he can do.

------------------
Reporter: Can you sum up Oasis in one word?
Me: ME!

I think he's become comfortable with the fact that he is The Edge and he is recognized for what he is as a guitar player. He was having fun this tour, and he seemed really determined to show his talents during the tour.

I was on Edge's side about five rows up during Gone at Boston. I was rocking out and pumping my fists during that song. He was so intense during the song, really during the whole concert. It surprised the hell out of me when he had his tamtrum, but it really brought the whole level of the show up. You could sense the energy that he was playing with, and the determination he had to get every single fucking note right. Anyone who doubts that U2 were not putting their heart and soul into the Elevation shows needs to watch that song. Watch the whole DVD. Everyone of those band members was full of energy on that show, and very comfortable up on stage.

One thing that really struck me during the Elevation shows was how when Bono was wandering around the heart, Edge and Adam would move over to Larry and the three of them would jam together and you could see the smiles on their faces and the interplay between them, how they would watch each other and play off each other and smile and nod and acknowledge each other's playing. During I Will Follow I think, for example, the three of them would be jamming together, and then the Edge would step up front to jam to the crowd and Adam would have this little grin on his face (I don't know if it's on the DVD, but I specifically remember this happening at a couple of the shows I went to).

Larry smiled a number of times during the shows, and Adam seemed very confident in his role. He definately acknowledged the fans around him, and played to them with energy.

I was very proud of the way those guys played on this tour. It was very genuine, and very energetic. I think they found a happy medium between playing the "hits" and also just playing to enjoy themselves each and every night, as well as recognizing the hard core fans and what they brought to the shows. A very special tour IMO.

Back
Top Bottom