20 Year Anniversary of my first show!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThisIs40

The Fly
April 15th marks the 20 year anniversary of a major turning point in my life. It was on this date in 1985 that I attended my first rock concert: U2 at the Brendan Byrne (Meadowlands) Arena. I was 15, and my father drove me, my brother, and two of our friends to the show. He even came in and watched it with us!

There have been hundreds of concerts since, but none as important as that first. U2 showed me what a concert should be about and how it should feel. It was like that first hit of a powerfully addictive drug. Concertgoing has now become ingrained in my persona and is a focal point of my travel and social life. There is nothing I enjoy more than chasing that high.

To U2--THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

Rock on.
28scan0041-med.jpg

Last edited:
Mine 20 year anniversary was April 10, 1985.

Hampton Colliseum, Lone Justice Opened up, I was on the floor General Admission.

Sad thing is I met a kid in Denver last tour who was born on that day, Are we getting old or what?

I'm so envious of those of you who saw U2 on the UF Tour.

The OOTS said:
My 20th year happened March 8th, 1985
Cow Palace - San Francisco

Red Rockers opened. Anyone remember them??

I was at that show as well! The Red Rockers had a couple of good tunes (China, Can't Get Blood From A Stone) and were much better than the Waterboys who opened the 12/15/84 San Francisco Civic show. That SF show was my first so my 20th anniversary was last December 15.

How cool was it that U2 played three concerts in the Bay Area in a four-month span...12/15/84, 3/7/85 & 3/8/85!!!!!!!!!

BTW...if anyone has either of those Cow Palace shows 3/7/85 or 3/8/85, I'd LOVE to trade or B&P them.

peace...

Last edited:
Jara--I know time is marching on, and every now and then I DO feel old. But filling my life with concerts keeps me feeling young and carefree--especially when U2 is touring!

And hey--if anyone has that 4/15/85 show, I would LOVE to get a copy through trade or B&P!

There's alot of 20th anniversaries here. Mine was April 1, 1985 MSG. Their first time playing MSG...it was amazing and I'll never forget walking out on to the street and people still singing 'how long to sing this song'.

Jara's Song said:
Mine 20 year anniversary was April 10, 1985.

Hampton Colliseum, Lone Justice Opened up, I was on the floor General Admission.

Sad thing is I met a kid in Denver last tour who was born on that day, Are we getting old or what?

That was my anniversary, too. I enjoy to this day. 20 years..damn. I can't quite get my head around that.

Congrats ThisIs40!

That's awesome that there are so many other "old timers" on this board. I am so happy that I was there in the early days. I look at other artists I love, like Springsteen, and am always jealous of the people who were there for the early tours. So I know what it's like.

But I am even happier that U2 has grown as they have and are still going strong. They are pretty much my sole surviving tie to anything that could be considered "today's music." Like Bruce said in his Hall of Fame induction speech: "They are the last band that I can name all the members of." I'm really going to feel old when they--and all the other bands I love--are no longer around. :sad:

Shit, I missed my 20th anniversary! Well, it doesn't help when you can't remember the exact date (the ticket stub will be in a box, somewhere :madspit: )

September (something) 1984, Apollo Stadium.

Matt Finish opened (a very under-rated Australian band who had a touch of the early Icehouse about them)

Me too blueeyedgirl! :)

Mine was 17th September
Melbourne 1984

I can't remember who supported in Melbourne but I remember Matt Finish and it could have been them. Those were the days eh? LOL

ThisIs40 said:
April 15th marks the 20 year anniversary of a major turning point in my life. It was on this date in 1985 that I attended my first rock concert: U2 at the Brendan Byrne (Meadowlands) Arena. I was 15, and my father drove me, my brother, and two of our friends to the show. He even came in and watched it with us!

There have been hundreds of concerts since, but none as important as that first. U2 showed me what a concert should be about and how it should feel. It was like that first hit of a powerfully addictive drug. Concertgoing has now become ingrained in my persona and is a focal point of my travel and social life. There is nothing I enjoy more than chasing that high.

To U2--THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

So you have witnessed with your own eyes that magnificent, 16-minute version of Bad.
:up: :applaud:

Congrats! :wave: UF was my first tour too! (I will have to dig somewhere to find the exact date)

Back
Top Bottom