2 questions on ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. I think it's great

2. Been about a year since I listened to it straight through.

It's funny, all this talk about being a classic or their 3rd masterpiece. I think in critical circles it really is considered those things. I think Rolling Stone or somebody put out a ranking of the 500 greatest albums ever last year and ATYCLB came in at 120 or thereabouts. 120th of all time pretty impressive. Now Rolling Stone isn't everything on these matters, but I think the ranking stemmed from a poll of artists etc. within the industry. I think this is a decent indicator of how ATYCLB is considered a masterpiece or classic within the industry.

I listen to ATYCLB regularly but I have "re-done" the CD for personal use:

replaced Elevation with Tomb Raider mix
replaced In a Little While with the Cafe Del Mar (N.o.W.) Remix
removed Grace

at the end I've added Big Girls are Best, Beat on the Brat & Children of the Revolution.

Funny you should ask. I just posted this in another thread:

It hold's such a special meaning for me. I don't listen to it as much as the other's but it's always there - for the comfort I need.

Last time I listened to it was just after hurricane Ivan (sept 15th). When the power came back on, I just had to hear It's a Beautiful Day. After fearing for my life and family/friends for nearly 24 hours, it was the only music that was comforting to me.
I most definitely still love it!!:heart:

1. I didn't care for it much from the get-go. My opinion of it has improved a little over time, but I have never considered it U2's "third masterpiece" by a long shot. I think you could make a case for it being one of the best albums of 2000, but only by default because that was a craptacular year for music.

2. When did I last listen to it from beginning to end?? I couldn't even venture a guess.

Love the album! Play it lots still. The first six tracks come off quite strong as a short tour for those 20-25 minute drives in the car.

Its been a year at least since I heard this all in one sitting. Wild Honey gets the most skips and by the time I start skipping at track 7, it becomes easier to skip others in line.

1. I still like it overall. To me it's not the freakish work of genius that AB, JT, Zooropa, Pop & UF were, but it's still damn solid.

2. Ages ago.

There's 2 main camps of U2 fans. The "JT is the greatest thing ever put on record" group and the "AB is the greatest thing ever put on record" group. The JT group seem to adore ATYCLB, the AB group need more. Being from the AB group, I think that it's just depth, in it's themes, music and lyrics. That's all. It is better than 95% of what's out there though.

1. After 3 years, it's not as strong as I thought it was in 2001. Still a good album, but with the way it has worn on me, I wonder if 3rd best U2 album is overrated.
2. I started to listen it again last week given that I was having weaker feelings about it. Good songs, but it doesn't grab me as much as I remember that it did.

This is very instructive, the early reviews on HTDAAB are positive and we could be swayed to believe we want to believe about U2. Thus we can pronounce that this is the best U2 album Ev-er, without letting it seep into our bones. It will be interesting to find out how we feel about the new album a year after the tour ends.

1. Still love it
2. Hadn't played it all the way through in awhile, but I just got madden 2005 for the playstation, and I always mute the game and play a CD. So about a week ago.

i dont listen to it much anymore, whenever i get the desire to hear ATYCLB material i just watch the slane dvd.

i also tend to not listen to it much because it just takes me back to a time and place in my life and when this world seemed really different.

1)I still enjoy it as much as I did when it came out. Even New York and Grace have begun to grow on me. Lovin Wild Honey at the mo too.

2)I run a music store and tend to listen to a U2 album in full each day. Think last friday was the last time for ATYCLB. (Got the Boston DVD on at the mo incidently :wink:

What blows me away, is that we knock the album, and yet it produced 2 record of the year Grammys. I think that is quite an achievement.

I think many of us don't like it because it was too safe. It would have been nice to have a few hidden experimental gems on the album.

I think Beautiful Day and Walk On are now U2 classics. They needed a few mainstream classic recordings after Zooropa & Pop.

I think the 'Bomb' will be the best of both worlds.

MKU2 said:
1. Does anybody here still like this album?

2. When did you last listen to ATYCLB from beginning to end ?

1. Yes, always.
2. Yesterday. I've been listening to a compilation of U2 albums I made, and it goes with me everywhere. I don't think I could ever loose interest.

1. I will always love this album, it came and picked me up from the gutter i was in and changed my life in certain ways.

2. It's been about an hour since i've listened to i back to back.

the vocal minority here believes 90's U2 is everything - in particular they worship POP beyond any other album. The majority of the fans (as proved by the album's sucess) loved ATYCLB.

I'm a fan of the 90s albums mostly, but i still thought this album was still good. 1st time I heard it I went through the whole album, now I can only stand listening to BD, Walk On, Elevation, Stuck and Kite.

The rest of ATYCLB's songs *IMO* are either average or not very good at all

Last edited:
Lets face it - the best songs are the singles, Kite and In a Little While. The others are ok but that's about it.

david said:
i also tend to not listen to it much because it just takes me back to a time and place in my life and when this world seemed really different.

I know how you feel. This album was U2's last before 9/11, and lots of people's lives have changed since then.

I love almost every song on that c.d. expect I am indifferent about In A Little While and Wild Honey. I love the lyrics to Grace and Peace On Earth, but not the sound.

I really like ATYCLB! :) I tend to skip to IALW, Kite, and Wild Honey for some reason....I think I just heard some of the others too much on the radio.

It's been at least a month since I've listened to the entire album. I think I'll pop it in right now! :)

Back
Top Bottom