#2 grossing North American tour of all time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hewson

Blue Crack Supplier
We all know that Elevation was the top grossing tour of 2001...now Pollstar has listed the North American legs(grossing $109.7 Mil) as the #2 grossing North American tour in history...second only to The Rolling Stones 1994 Voodoo Lounge with $121.2 Mil
And the Stones were in football stadiums!

Originally posted by Hewson:
We all know that Elevation was the top grossing tour of 2001...now Pollstar has listed the North American legs(grossing $109.7 Mil) as the #2 grossing North American tour in history...second only to The Rolling Stones 1994 Voodoo Lounge with $121.2 Mil

WOW!!

that's awesome!

Originally posted by Hewson:
now Pollstar has listed the North American legs(grossing $109.7 Mil) as the #2 grossing North American tour in history...second only to The Rolling Stones 1994 Voodoo Lounge with $121.2 Mil

Is this just for the gross, or does this adjust for 130 clams per seat? This shouldn't be a surprise considering the ticket prices. And, yeah, I know there were 45 dollar tickets, but a healthy share of those tickets were 85 to 130 bucks.

Go ahead, be mad at me if you want. I'm not saying anything that isn't true.

------------------
...the highway speaks of deserts dry...

Ticket prices? Oh no.....back to that? There's been other great performances that have charged above and beyond the normal concert seating charge. So, I say....doesn't matter. They earned it! Glad they have it!....and I'd pay it again.

Martha: Can you imagine if the Gross Sales included what the scalping ticket agencies made? WOW.....We'd be talking BIG!

Originally posted by martha:
Is this just for the gross, or does this adjust for 130 clams per seat? This shouldn't be a surprise considering the ticket prices. And, yeah, I know there were 45 dollar tickets, but a healthy share of those tickets were 85 to 130 bucks.

Go ahead, be mad at me if you want. I'm not saying anything that isn't true.

You also aren't saying anything of particular relevance. You don't think Stones' tickets were expensive? You'd be wrong. You don't think Madonna's tickets on her tour this year didn't far exceed U2's? You'd be wrong.

U2 charged it, people paid it. You don't like it. Few here care.

What was your point?

Originally posted by MSU2mike:
You also aren't saying anything of particular relevance. You don't think Stones' tickets were expensive? You'd be wrong. You don't think Madonna's tickets on her tour this year didn't far exceed U2's? You'd be wrong.

U2 charged it, people paid it. You don't like it. Few here care.

What was your point?

Settle down. I paid it six times, so I'm as guilty as anyone for encouraging it. My point is that a high grossing tour nowadays is nothing that special when prices are what they are. When price points are high, the money adds up quickly. I think to compare total attendance may be more reflective of popularity, if that's what all this is supposed to compare. Did the Stones play to more people? Did Madonna? Did as many people buy tickets to see Madonna? I think that's what matters.

------------------
...the highway speaks of deserts dry...

I'm certain U2 sold more tix than Madonna this past year...they played many more shows...in 1994 the tix price for the Stones was $50.00...I have a ticket stub. They played football stadiums at that price.
Their 1998 "No Security" arena tour had ticket prices as high as $300.00, but Elevation grossed more...you can skew numbers any way you want...yes tix were expensive...but it was one of the most successful tours ever...that's all that should matter.

Isnt it the most successful WORLD tour of all time? That's how the Elevation DVD is being marketed...
thats even more impressive!

------------------
And I felt like a star...

I don't think anyone can argue Zoo TV was U2's most successful tour, both in America and the rest of the world (except possibly South America) and is unlikely to be surpassed by the group.

Is Zoo Tv still up there in the top 10?

That's awesome, btw! Love all this good news about the boys today.
biggrin.gif

------------------
I know your garden's full
But is there sweetness at all?

Back
Top Bottom