18 years ago today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rastacruz

Acrobat
05/09/87 (Sat)
Hartford Civic Center -
Hartford, CT

Stand By Me
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Exit
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
The Electric Co.
October
New Year's Day
Gloria
Bad
E:
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
With Or Without You

It was my freshman year in college. I was going to a school in New Hampshire and somehow, my roommate and I were able to get 15th row seats on the floor for this show. We had to drop $100 each for the stubs, but it was worth every penny.

It was my roommies first U2 show and my 5th. This may have been the last time I saw them before they rocketed to worldwide superstardom. By the time I saw them in Oakland in November, Bono's ego was HUGE and a U2 show never had the same feel for me ever again.

I guess that sounded worse than it was supposed to. I intended to celebrate the concert instead of diminish what's happened since.

after that first round of arena shows on the JT tour, they had to start playing stadiums and tickets were more difficult to come by. bigger venues were the main reason I wrote the shows since haven't had the same "feel." of course, not much has the same feel as things 18 years ago. :)

Filming a movie while on tour and spray-painting statues isn't what I'd call confidence...that was arrogance.

The Electric Co. from the 5/9/87 show RRRRRRRRRRRocks!

Last edited:
rastacruz said:
05/09/87 (Sat)
Hartford Civic Center -
Hartford, CT

Stand By Me
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Exit
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
The Electric Co.
October
New Year's Day
Gloria
Bad
E:
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
With Or Without You

It was my freshman year in college. I was going to a school in New Hampshire and somehow, my roommate and I were able to get 15th row seats on the floor for this show. We had to drop $100 each for the stubs, but it was worth every penny.

It was my roommies first U2 show and my 5th. This may have been the last time I saw them before they rocketed to worldwide superstardom. By the time I saw them in Oakland in November, Bono's ego was HUGE and a U2 show never had the same feel for me ever again.

Wot no 'please''sometimes' or 'lemon' what a shite gig:huh:

awesome! that must have been a great show!

btw, arrogance is a good thing, at least in my book. then again, i have good reason to have arrogance.

I know what to expect from the band these days. I've enjoyed every U2 I've ever seen (except for that crappy Pop show at the Cotton Bowl) before and after that JT show. the Denver shows I got to see this tour were amazing!

It just seemed to change (for me) from the Spring of 1987 to the Fall of 1987. Bono would pull someone onstage to play guitar, but at the Oakland show it was "who wants to play MY guitar?" just stupid little stuff that kind of turned me off.

It was probably because it was nearing the end of the tour and he got hassled for painting on the statue so he had a chip on his shoulder that night.

Last edited:
I have a boot of the Oakland show you speak of. And Bono is a HUGE asshole during that show. Pimm's book also makes mention of how his behavior left many fans upset.

MrBrau1 said:
I have a boot of the Oakland show you speak of. And Bono is a HUGE asshole during that show. Pimm's book also makes mention of how his behavior left many fans upset.

just must have been the wrong night to see them. the music was still awesome though.

it was also cool that the Pretenders opened up those Oakland shows.

I don't see why people should get upset by rastacruz's comments. I saw U2 when they toured Oz in 1984 and they seemed at the time, that concert wise, they were like any other band (still my favourite then, but you know what I mean).

I didn't see them again till 1989.

I only saw them on Under a blood red sky and Rattle and Hum vids. Now I know Bono is a master of the grand gesture and the big speeches, but though I enjoyed watching both vids, in R&H, sometimes he made me really cringe. His "I don't mean to bug ya" speech :madspit: really!

It was like he was making the grand gestures cos he knew it was for posterity, rather than doing it spontaneously (yes I know the shows are "scripted"), it felt like he HAD to do stuff that really stuck in your mind.

I don't know, that's how it seemed to me.

rastacruz said:
I guess that sounded worse than it was supposed to. I intended to celebrate the concert instead of diminish what's happened since.

after that first round of arena shows on the JT tour, they had to start playing stadiums and tickets were more difficult to come by. bigger venues were the main reason I wrote the shows since haven't had the same "feel." of course, not much has the same feel as things 18 years ago. :)

Filming a movie while on tour and spray-painting statues isn't what I'd call confidence...that was arrogance.

The Electric Co. from the 5/9/87 show RRRRRRRRRRRocks!

All the Hartford shows rocked!:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom