$150 for 25 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:

I can hear the "sellout" screams now if they did 2 boxsets. They already got critisicm for having 2 versions of both Best ofs.

Who's to say the 25 songs won't feature in the end-of-career boxset Edge said they'd do when they call it quits?

Just so I'm clear, did real Edge say this?

U2girl said:

I can hear the "sellout" screams now if they did 2 boxsets. They already got critisicm for having 2 versions of both Best ofs.

Who's to say the 25 songs won't feature in the end-of-career boxset Edge said they'd do when they call it quits?

Oh bullshit, quit being so goddamn apologetic for this situation. You act as if U2 and Apple are lord God . If anything the situation I proposed would ERASE all this arguing period.

Its not about "sellout" in this thread. The sellout thread refers to the partnership, this refers to the product. WAKE UP! You've got to be the most ignorant person I've ever come across on any forum.

Two boxsets

1. The Complete U2 - Exactly whats on there now - $150
2. U2 Lite - Comprised of just the unreleased material and the live stuff - $50

This way EVERYONE wins. The people who dont have everything can get the complete, and the people who DO have everything already get what they would like to hear.

Whos to say that this box set that isnt even confirmed nor definite doesnt come out for another 10 years!?

bonosleftone said:

Oh bullshit, quit being so goddamn apologetic for this situation. You act as if U2 and Apple are lord God . If anything the situation I proposed would ERASE all this arguing period.

Its not about "sellout" in this thread. The sellout thread refers to the partnership, this refers to the product. WAKE UP! You've got to be the most ignorant person I've ever come across on any forum.

Two boxsets

1. The Complete U2 - Exactly whats on there now - $150
2. U2 Lite - Comprised of just the unreleased material and the live stuff - $50

This way EVERYONE wins. The people who dont have everything can get the complete, and the people who DO have everything already get what they would like to hear.

Whos to say that this box set that isnt even confirmed nor definite doesnt come out for another 10 years!?

Wow, you seemed so calm a minute ago.:huh:

People would be going "U2 is greedy-sellout, instead of putting out one complete edition they're doing two". (as they did regarding several single versions/album versions)

I'm constantly amazed how standing up for U2 on a U2 FAN FORUM gets bashed.
I didn't say a word about the partnership in this thread, nor does my sellout point have anything to do with that other thread. Pay attention, and tone down the hostility.

U2girl said:
People would be going "U2 is greedy-sellout, instead of putting out one complete edition they're doing two". (as they did regarding several single versions/album versions)

I'm constantly amazed how standing up for U2 on a U2 FAN FORUM gets bashed.
I didn't say a word about the partnership in this thread, nor does my sellout point have anything to do with that other thread. Pay attention, and tone down the hostility.

READ THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD. No one is saying U2 are sellouts for even doing the COMPLETE U2. NO ONE HAS SAID SELL OUT AT ALL ON THIS THREAD. We're arguing the way the set is set up and its not advantageous to us that DO own everything.

You dont get it STILL! You're being bashed for being entirely biased to U2/Apples idealogy. You're not even seeing the big picture. U2 are not infallible. I'll stop with the hostility when you stop being so biased and ignorant to the situation. If Bono killed a baby the way you try to back up your side here it seems you'd try and find justification for it.

I'll stand up to U2 to the day I die for the quality and content of their music, but thats not to say I wont question their business practices and the way that a release is being marketed/compiled.

You yourself have endorsed GETTING THE MUSIC ILLEGALLY by downloading. I want to get it legally but its entirely unfair TO ME that they didnt offer a alternate option where EVERYONE can win, is it entirely fair for me to buy all that stuff AGAIN when I have it already? Throwing out the "oh they may release it to all eventually" argument doesnt hold water.

If they did offer the two options I proposed this argument wouldnt even exist. The dissenters would get what they want to hear at a lower price, and the ones who want the complete would get it.

Last edited:
People have been very quick to call U2 greedy for putting all the songs on one complete edition. Greedy=sellouts. Isn't that one and the same?

I wasn't talking about U2 fans, obviously, but the general public. (though I'm sure some would object too)

I'm not biased, I just don't mind the fact that this is their music at its cheapest for new U2 fans, or alternative with fans with scratched/missing CDs. There are also people who do both - have albums but went for the complete editon too. Some people download the 25 songs.
Whatever the decision, you CAN get the unreleased songs it's just a matter of how.

I don't download music. (except a few U2 songs I didn't know, which I shortly deleted, too) Me and my brother have every U2 release, including Passengers, MDH and Best ofs, Wide awake in America. I like CDs, the booklets...therefore I could care less about Ipods or mp3s. 25 unreleased songs - the really new stuff is only outtakes from ATYCLB, HTDAAB sessions - or not.

Thanks for the classy behavoiur you displayed.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
People have been very quick to call U2 greedy for putting all the songs on one complete edition. Greedy=sellouts. Isn't that one and the same?

I wasn't talking about U2 fans, obviously, but the general public. (though I'm sure some would object too)

I'm not biased, I just don't mind the fact that this is their music at its cheapest for new U2 fans, or alternative with fans with scratched/missing CDs. There are also people who do both - have albums but went for the complete editon too. Some people download the 25 songs.
Whatever the decision, you CAN get the unreleased songs it's just a matter of how.

I don't download music. (except a few U2 songs I didn't know, which I shortly deleted, too) Me and my brother have every U2 release, including Passengers, MDH and Best ofs, Wide awake in America. I like CDs, the booklets...therefore I could care less about Ipods or mp3s. 25 unreleased songs - the really new stuff is only outtakes from ATYCLB, HTDAAB sessions - or not.

Look the main thing you're confusing about the situation I proposed is the 2 boxsets.

Im not saying SEPERATE the Unreleased from the Complete. I'm saying create two optons. This way U2 is not being stolen from via downloading.

Im saying keep the complete as it is, but also offer a alternate set with just the unreleased stuff and live stuff so that people who own the majority of the Complete can get what they want at a lower price and not have to pay the full amount and have a crapload of material that we already own.

Complete - As is, no omissions
Alternate - Only include the unreleased/live stuff etc.

This option totally kills any argument on this thread. The main point people are arguing is that the unreleased/live stuff is not available seperately. No one would be calling U2 a sellout for creating a alternate option, if anything it would be praised.

"I didnt want to buy the Complete because I had most of that, but thank god for that Alternative Box Set, because now I got the tracks I want and didnt have to pay for the Complete and get a lot of stuff I dont need"

bonosleftone said:
This option totally kills any argument on this thread. The main point people are arguing is that the unreleased/live stuff is not available seperately. No one would be calling U2 a sellout for creating a alternate option, if anything it would be praised.

No, this would just kill the argument for the people who can access itunes.

There's a whole other population of people out there.

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but here was my stance before the boxset came out. I decided I would wait to see what was in the box set, and I assumed that it would be $150 for the whole set and you would not be able to download tracks individually. But then it comes out, and it turns out that you CAN buy some of the tracks individually... just not the ones you want. So I was a bit disappointed only AFTER seeing that some of the tracks can be bought individually. I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am now if none of the tracks could be bought individually.

bonosleftone said:

Look the main thing you're confusing about the situation I proposed is the 2 boxsets.

Im not saying SEPERATE the Unreleased from the Complete. I'm saying create two optons. This way U2 is not being stolen from via downloading.

Im saying keep the complete as it is, but also offer a alternate set with just the unreleased stuff and live stuff so that people who own the majority of the Complete can get what they want at a lower price and not have to pay the full amount and have a crapload of material that we already own.

Complete - As is, no omissions
Alternate - Only include the unreleased/live stuff etc.

"I didnt want to buy the Complete because I had most of that, but thank god for that Alternative Box Set, because now I got the tracks I want and didnt have to pay for the Complete and get a lot of stuff I dont need"

I still say that would make U2 look bad in general public view, as it did somewhat back when they had separate versions of Best of.

And what are the people who don't download/can't afford Ipod supposed to do? They have a bigger case than any of it but I haven't seen them complain.

stoven said:
I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but here was my stance before the boxset came out. I decided I would wait to see what was in the box set, and I assumed that it would be $150 for the whole set and you would not be able to download tracks individually. But then it comes out, and it turns out that you CAN buy some of the tracks individually... just not the ones you want. So I was a bit disappointed only AFTER seeing that some of the tracks can be bought individually. I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am now if none of the tracks could be bought individually.

I see the point you're trying to make, except that the songs they allow you to buy individually have been commercially released and a lot of them have been available for purchase individually always.

I understand the reasoning behind not selling the previously unreleased tracks individually.

U2girl said:

I still say that would make U2 look bad in general public view, as it did somewhat back when they had separate versions of Best of.

And what are the people who don't download/can't afford Ipod supposed to do? They have a bigger case than any of it but I haven't seen them complain.

Well thats a case of you not reading any threads, the Aussies have been quite vocal on this point of Itunes not being available everywhere.

How would it look bad to the general public??? Are you this thick? Read the f'ing posts in this thread. The only thing people are bitching about is the fact we cant get the unreleased stuff seperately.

READ THIS:

Set 1: The Complete U2, contains all the albums/singles and the unreleased material as it is right now $150

Set 2: The Alternate Box, contains all the unreleased material as it is in the Complete (contains nothing extra and is just a PIECE of the Complete) and its $50 or hell even less maybe.

The Alternate is merely a smaller version of the complete for the people THAT ALREADY HAVE EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE UNRELEASED STUFF IN THE COMPLETE. How can anyone argue that is not a good idea or that it would "look bad" if you buy the Complete you dont need the Alternate. Its not like people would need to buy both to get the material. ITS NOT ABOUT SEPERATING THE UNRELEASED FROM THE COMPLETE GET THAT STRAIGHT.

How would that look bad to the general public????? It offers two options. If you buy the complete you get everything including the alternate stuff. If you buy the Alternate you get the unreleased and live stuff ONLY. Its a good option for the fans THAT HAVE EVERYTHING ALREADY.

Goddammit I dont understand how you cant understand the difference between this. Its quite obvious you dont read posts but blindly follow everything U2 do without anything critical whatsoever.

Last edited:
Like I said, talking about general public which does not mean U2 fans.

You CAN get the unreleased stuff by downloading. For all you know, it might be on the boxset they will do when they quit.

Great. So people who this is aimed at will have to spent 200 bucks to get everything instead of 150 and U2 can milk out the additional 50 bucks out of those who have the official stuff. The people who don't download can forget about the additional stuff if they aren't familiar with U2 fan forums.
Prepare for U2 getting flamed if they would do that.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Please stop with the ipod. Again, you don't need an ipod to buy anything from itunes, and you don't need to buy any songs from itunes to use itunes

U2girl said:

You CAN get the unreleased stuff by downloading. For all you know, it might be on the boxset they will do when they quit.

Great. So people who this is aimed at will have to spent 200 bucks to get everything instead of 150 and U2 can milk out the additional 50 bucks out of those who have the official stuff. Prepare for U2 getting flamed if they would do that.

:mad: :mad:

Goddamn are you doing this on fucking purpose??? How can anyone flame U2 for doing my idea.

Look at the situation.

YOU CANNOT DOWNLOAD THE UNRELEASED STUFF BY DOWNLOADING LEGALLY WITHOUT PAYING $150 RIGHT NOW THE UNRELEASED STUFF IS ONLY AVAILABLE WHEN YOU BUY THE WHOLE THING ($150) RIGHT NOW.

I'm saying OFFER a portion of the COMPLETE SET that just contains the unreleased stuff.

Should I break it down?

Complete:
Unreleased stuff/live stuff
All albums and b-sides

Cost: $150

Alternate:
ONLY the unreleased stuff/live stuff from the Complete

Cost $50

You DONT READ ANYTHING!

NO ONE IS SAYING YOU HAVE TO BUY BOTH FUCKING SETS TO GET EVERYTHING. You buy the alternate if you already have the majority of stuff in the Complete.

MERELY OFFER THE UNRELEASED STUFF AS A SEPERATE OPTION BUT STILL HAVE IT IN THE COMPLETE!!

U2girl said:
But you will get 50 bucks off to buy the complete edition IF you have the U2Ipod.

That's right, instead of paying $149 you will pay $99, except that you already paid an additional $49 for the U2ipod since it costs $49 more than a regular 20GIG one.

In other words forget the ipod.

U2girl said:
But you will get 50 bucks off to buy the complete edition IF you have the U2Ipod.

SO WHAT?

What about the U2 fans, that have the Ipod but ALREADY HAVE THE STUFF IN THE COMPLETE U2 SET?

They need to offer a portion of the Complete set, nothing added to it as a CHEAPER option for us that already have it.

YOU DONT NEED AN IPOD TO DOWNLOAD OR LISTEN TO THE MUSIC YOU GET FROM THE COMPLETE U2.

You dont even know the situation.

U2girl said:

Great. So people who this is aimed at will have to spent 200 bucks to get everything instead of 150 and U2 can milk out the additional 50 bucks out of those who have the official stuff. The people who don't download can forget about the additional stuff if they aren't familiar with U2 fan forums.
Prepare for U2 getting flamed if they would do that.

Really, are you reading bonosleftone posts??? Because english is not my first language, but it seems that I can understand it better than you!!! Please, READ before posting. UNDERSTAND what's been told.

bonosleftone options:

1. The Complete U2. EVERYTHING. As it is. ALL. COMPLETE.
150$

2. Rare & Unreleased songs.
50$

Get it?

U2girl said:

Seriously, is there anybody on this board so stupid that they bought a $349 iPod in order to get a $50 coupon?

Nevermind the fact that a regular iPod is $299, nevermind that you don't need a U2 iPod nor any other iPod to download these tunes? Am I missing something here?

The thing I'm bothered about is that as a Canadian fan, I don't even have the option of buying the "box set". So you know what, Universal can bite us.

anitram said:

Seriously, is there anybody on this board so stupid that they bought a $349 iPod in order to get a $50 coupon?

Nevermind the fact that a regular iPod is $299, nevermind that you don't need a U2 iPod nor any other iPod to download these tunes? Am I missing something here?

The thing I'm bothered about is that as a Canadian fan, I don't even have the option of buying the "box set". So you know what, Universal can bite us.

Please don't tell me I just spent $450 for 20 songs.:help: :slant:

ramblin rose said:

Please don't tell me I just spent $450 for 20 songs.:help: :slant:

LOL!

Nah, the iPod is totally separate.

The $150, well, maybe. :wink:

Is this really necessary? Do we really need to bitch and moan about this? If people want to download it and pay $150 then do it, if you want to download it without paying then do it. All this guilt sh*t and trying to make a moral issue of this crap is ridiculous. Let people do what they want and let the proper authorities govern the issue. Its not your problem if joe blow is downloading songs for free that you payed for. In actuality its too bad for you if you spent that money, don't make people feel like idiots just because you feel dumb for paying for something you could get for free. Some people on this forum act like this is a serious issue like abortion or something. Relax and mind your own biz, and let others dig thier own graves.

PowerSurge said:
Is this really necessary? Do we really need to bitch and moan about this? If people want to download it and pay $150 then do it, if you want to download it without paying then do it. All this guilt sh*t and trying to make a moral issue of this crap is ridiculous. Let people do what they want and let the proper authorities govern the issue. Its not your problem if joe blow is downloading songs for free that you payed for. In actuality its too bad for you if you spent that money, don't make people feel like idiots just because you feel dumb for paying for something you could get for free. Some people on this forum act like this is a serious issue like abortion or something. Relax and mind your own biz, and let others dig thier own graves.

Just curious, how many pages of this thread did you actually read?

stoven said:
stinates lol

So, other countries that don't have iTunes.... it is coming to your country, so be patient.

Oh yeah. :|

If iTunes were available in Canada and Australia only, I bet all the Americans would be the first in line to illegally download and I wouldn't hold it against a single one of them.

I was patient, alright. For about 25 minutes. U2's financial loss in the end, as you can bet your ass we all got on our lovely broadband and downloaded to our heart's content.

anitram said:

Oh yeah. :|

If iTunes were available in Canada and Australia only, I bet all the Americans would be the first in line to illegally download and I wouldn't hold it against a single one of them.

I was patient, alright. For about 25 minutes. U2's financial loss in the end, as you can bet your ass we all got on our lovely broadband and downloaded to our heart's content.

Don't you think it would have been more fair it you had said:

If iTunes were available in Canada and Australia only, I bet all the Americans, Austrians, Belgians, Germans, Finnish, French, Greeks, Italians, Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish would be the first in line to illegally download and I wouldn't hold it against a single one of them.

Back
Top Bottom