11 tracks on every album... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
I've been meaning to post this but, why is that they always settle for 11 tracks on almost every album. They clearly have layed down more then that in every album session. So why not add more? Almost every other band/artist has a bit more then 11... anybody care to add or coment on this issue.

Why not 11?
If they think that the album works best when they select their 11 best/most relevant songs recorded, why should they add more?
I rather have a record with 11 excellent songs than one with 11 excellent songs and 5 merely good ones. Quality comes first, quantity is irrelevant.

:)

Popmartijn said:
Why not 11?
If they think that the album works best when they select their 11 best/most relevant songs recorded, why should they add more?
I rather have a record with 11 excellent songs than one with 11 excellent songs and 5 merely good ones. Quality comes first, quantity is irrelevant.

:)
I agree that quality comes first. I was just thinking of that because if you listen to the b-sides, they truly have some hidden gems. If 11 works, so be it. I guess I just wanted to see what your take was on it...

Yeah, they certainly have some gems that were left off the regular albums.
Also, in the vinyl age, it was advisable to have a running time below 50 minutes (if longer it would have an adverse effect on sound quality), so they had to take that into account when choosing which songs to include on an album. Even nowadays I think that it's best for an album to be below 50 minutes. Keep it to the point. :)
Anyway, considering that time limit, you usually end up with 10-12 songs to include.

Almost every album has eleven tracks? :huh:

Boy: 11
October: 11
War: 10
UF: 10
JT: 11
RAH: 17, or 9 if you only want to count studio tracks
AB: 12
Zooropa: 10
Pop: 12
ATYCLB: My pressing has 12, some have 11
HTDAAB: My pressing has 12, some have 11

That's three albums out of eleven. And even if you take the 11 track pressings of the last two albums, that's only five out of eleven. Not even half of their albums have eleven tracks.

But I'd rather listen to an album with 10-12 good tracks, that a crappy album with 14, 15 or 18 bad tracks or full of fillers...
10-12 is ok. I don't like extensive albums too...

Zooropa1310 said:
Well, the average of tracks is 11.45... Which rounds to 11 :p

Add them all, divide.

11.636363 (63 recurring) if you use my albums, which rounds up to 12.

Axver said:
Almost every album has eleven tracks? :huh:

Boy: 11
October: 11
War: 10
UF: 10
JT: 11
RAH: 17, or 9 if you only want to count studio tracks
AB: 12
Zooropa: 10
Pop: 12
ATYCLB: My pressing has 12, some have 11
HTDAAB: My pressing has 12, some have 11

That's three albums out of eleven. And even if you take the 11 track pressings of the last two albums, that's only five out of eleven. Not even half of their albums have eleven tracks.

Holy Joe was a Japanese bonus track, making 13 for Pop.

If you care about that. :wink:

If thy only had 11 good songs from each era I could understand why they'd only choose that many for each album, but they have at least one album-worthy b-side from every era IMO!!

Record companies think 11 is the standard for a rock or pop album, so most artists end up at 10, 11 or 12 tracks; sometimes, production agreements and record deals define a certain (minimum) number too.

In 5-10 years we will see. With iTunes selling single tracks to a much bigger extent than full albums, there´s the return of the single market.

There is no reason why a band couldn´t write 16 tracks per album, I think an album concept (if its not a double album) works fine up to about an hour of playing time. To write and record 16 songs instead of 11 that fit into a concept is more expensive and costs more time because it can be more complicated to do a full fledged album concept with 15 songs instead of 11. I tend to dislike albums which are far too short (less than 40 minutes).

U2 however have been around for so many years, I guess they just got used to 10-13 songs and 40-50 minutes. When you look at new genres/ ie. dance music, you´ll often hear young musicians who grew up with the CD format and who use all the 65 or 70 minutes they got.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom