10 years today: ZOOTV SYDNEY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
I am still getting over the fact that Red Rocks was 20 years ago..!

The Zooropa tour doesn't feel like 10 years ago..

*ENTER GETTING OLD COMMENTS HERE*

:ohmy: it is too.

How often can you say you know what you were doing 10 years ago to the hour precisely eh?

:huh:

I feel old now. It definately doesn't seem like 10 years....Sheesh....

I wish I'd been old enough ... why couldn't I have been born in 1977 instead of 1987?

Axver I felt the same about the Joshua Tree tour..! My brother who was a huge U2 fan and at the age of 16 in 1987 had bought a ticket to the JT concert at Wembley (taking place in July) 6 months in advance. He was always in trouble in those days and as punishment my mother took away his ticket (cruel I know)..she had always intended to give it back to him but when she dug it out and gave it him months later they looked at it and.....the concert was the previous day!! He was gutted....still he got to see them at home in Cardiff the following week so it wasn't SUCH a huge blow!!

Jim said:
I am still getting over the fact that Red Rocks was 20 years ago..!

The Zooropa tour doesn't feel like 10 years ago..

*ENTER GETTING OLD COMMENTS HERE*

Me too! :yes: It doesn't seem like that long, what glorious days!

I love them both so much! When I have more time (when Thanksgiving dinner is over!) I'll post some pics of both!

Watching that concert now. I could only remember the date it was played because of Bono's Handycam filming. Plus it's a day before my friend's birthday.

Zoo TV really was an absolutley fantastic tour. Every bit of concert footage i've seen, bootlegs I've heard are absolutley amazing. Only thing missing from every concert on that tour was ACROBAT one of U2's biggest mistakes, in MY opinion, is to never play that song live! Ultraviolet is a definite live fave for me though!

You can get the Zoo TV Sydney concert complete with missing 'Trying to throw your arms...' (with what sounds like more Handycam antics) at u2rome.com

I can still picture the day I saw the bus, jam-packed with U2 fans leaving the depot in Grafton , headed for the JT concert in Brisbane. I had a new-born baby in a pram and I felt like running down the street after the bus, pram and all.."Let Me On!!" I gave them a wave and a peace sign instead.
I can still recall having baby-sitter organised, in the car with girlfriends on the way to see a local band the night before Zoo Tv in Sydney. We got to the intersection with the highway...turn left 8 hour drive...Sydney...U2!! Turn right...Grafton. I was pleading with the girls...."turn left turn left, let's go AWOL..it's U2!!"
I'm sure U2 woulda just loved me turning up and trying to climb over the wall into their concert...sans ticket. Oh the memories.:)

The woman who does the entertainment pages for our local newspaper is a BIG U2 fan. I kept her published review of the Sydney show...the page is all yellow now.

Showbiz-Friday, December 3rd 1993.
"U2 lived up to billing as a great rockband"

"It was like sitting inside a sort of spacecraft, 50 000 of us waiting for our leaders to arrive.
The moon glowed over the stadium and the cool wind blew just enough to be comfortable.
The anxiety was showing. Mexican waves, shouting, cheering, clapping, banging on anything tied down. The place was electric.
The fact that arguably the greatest rock and roll band of our time was about to walk on stage was enough to turn the most sedate person into a maniac.......

..Bono emerged like an angel....

...The power of U2 was amazing, sinful in fact...

If you didn't manage to see ZOOTV, you really have missed an experience of any lifetime.."

:larry: :edge: :adam: :bono:
:heart:

Jim said:
Axver I felt the same about the Joshua Tree tour..! My brother who was a huge U2 fan and at the age of 16 in 1987 had bought a ticket to the JT concert at Wembley (taking place in July) 6 months in advance. He was always in trouble in those days and as punishment my mother took away his ticket (cruel I know)..she had always intended to give it back to him but when she dug it out and gave it him months later they looked at it and.....the concert was the previous day!! He was gutted....still he got to see them at home in Cardiff the following week so it wasn't SUCH a huge blow!!

Ouch, that would've been devastating ... at least there was the Cardiff concert, but it still would've been truly awful.

Yes, yes we do! Someone hurry up and invent a time-travel machine. We need ZooTV!

I remeber how excited I was when I was able to hook myself up with a copy of the Sydney Laser Disc from the record company. I took it over to a friend's way back then. The sad truth, however, is that I never did own a Laser Disc player.

Do we even know what a Laser Disc is these days?!?!? Talk about PRIMITIVE!

Oh yeah, the other compliment to this Syndey show is the Pro Shot Adelaide Zoomerang concert; plenty of fans have that one on VHS. THAT was a great performance as well!

.....and I do have to agree to a small degree that watching a show on video etc is not quite the same as being there - this refers to ZooTV/Zooropa/Zoomerang/Zoo-mo(Japan). I was fortunate to have seen nearly two dozen of the ZooTV era shows over several continents. I miss those days!

.....I also own a Depeche Laser Disc....which I haven't watched since like 1994. Funny! Maybe we should get together to watch these sometime.....heh!

A Laser Disc? Please do explain what it is. I have CDRs made by a company named Laser ... does that count? Hee.

Santabono said:
I remeber how excited I was when I was able to hook myself up with a copy of the Sydney Laser Disc from the record company. I took it over to a friend's way back then. The sad truth, however, is that I never did own a Laser Disc player.

Do we even know what a Laser Disc is these days?!?!? Talk about PRIMITIVE!

what is a laser disc??
and i'd be guessing that your copy would have the extra track? "trying to thorw your arms around the world" which isnt on the officical video and my VCD

Woah, it DOES sound primitive! When were these around?

are the playable on DVD players or CD-Rom drive in the PC's?

and i'm guessing those of you that do have the show on Laser Disc would have the complete show with TTTYATW
which would be nice to have!

Last edited:
Tabby said:
You're THAT YOUNG? I always took you for someone much older and worldly. I mean that as a compliment, no offense. :)

Hey, thanks Tabby! :) Yeah, I'm sixteen. Nearly seventeen, but shame that 'nearly' wasn't enough to get me to ZooTV!

I still remember staying up for the HBO broadcast of this concert. This concert and the R&H vid (which I only watched around this period) was really what got me into U2. It's hard to believe it was already ten years ago - it sure does make me feel so old. But in that ten year span, the only studio albums we go was POP and ATYCLB. U2 are slow, but at least ATYCLB was worth the wait.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom