1 year, 4 months and 19 days later...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
... The Bomb overall still sounds uneven to me. But a funny thing happened. I used to think that Miracle Drug and Crumbs were the best songs on the album but now I get bored by them and almost skip them while listening to the album. The thing is Brau's Crumbs was so good that I find it almost painful to listen to that overproduced studio version now! :no: And I seem to find MD boring these days and have a renewed appreciation for Vertigo. Methinks that's thanks to the Real Singing Game! :love: I used to enjoy AMAAW too but that track now bores me except for some flashes of brilliance. Same with Yahweh except for the nice 'sun is coming up' part!

So really, the only album tracks I listen to now are Vertigo, Sometimes (I surprise myself!), City Of Blinding Lights, occasionally LAPOE and All Because Of You. Yeah, mostly the rockers. That's pretty much it... maybe OOTS sometimes but it has that 'family time' vibe to it that I'm not always in the mood for. What about you guys?

i think that COBL and OOTS are the standouts of the album... the rest of them i have to be in the mood for... the only song that i never listen to is One Step Closer... way too boring for me!

not as big on Crumbs as I used to be either. Miracle Drug is still fine to me. Maybe LAPOE grew on me a bit (esp. after hearing it live... Bono drumming!).

The others... well, the single mixes still get plenty of play too.

I've always been bored by MD and Crumbs.

The single versions of All Because Of You and Original Of The Species are superior to their album counterparts.

I used to think Yahweh was crap unless it was live, but now the album version has grown on me.

Vertigo would be so much better if the 'all of this...' bridge was replaced by Native Son's 'Pleeeeeaaaaase' bridge.

Anyway, currently my most listened to Bomb songs are...

Original Of The Species(Single)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
All Because Of You(Single)
City Of Blinding Lights(I surprise myself)
Fast Cars

I'm trying to put together a running order without MD or Crumbs.

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Sometimes
Love And Peace Or Else
Fast Cars
A Man And A Woman
One Step Closer
Yahweh

OR

Vertigo
Love And Peace Or Else
City Of Blinding Lights
Fast Cars
A Man And A Woman
One Step Closer
Yahweh

OR

Vertigo
Fast Cars
Love And Peace Or Else
City Of Blinding Lights
A Man And A Woman
One Step Closer
Yahweh

:hmm:

namkcuR said:

Vertigo
Love And Peace Or Else
City Of Blinding Lights
Fast Cars
A Man And A Woman
One Step Closer
Yahweh

I like that one... except I would switch Yahweh & OSC. :shrug:

Let's see, my current playlist may be something like this...

Vertigo
Sometimes
COBL
ABOY
AMAAW
Fast Cars
LAPOE
Crumbs (alt)
OOTS
Yahweh
OSC

Got sick to death of the album after a while. I used to love it and listened to it loads but at the end of the day i do think, with hindsight, i didn't want to admit that this album i'd been waiting for for ages wasn't actually that good. I still love Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, All Because of You, Original of the Species and Yahweh, but the rest is just weak! Especially stuff like Miracle Drug, Crumbs and One Step Closer which everyone used to say 'SHUT UP IT'S AMAZING' about...

The songs are great live, but on record, not so great...however right now i must admit i've just remembered 'Crumbs' and i just had a bloody wave of nostalgia so i confess i'm gonna have to listen to it again to bring back some nice memories i had of the time i was listening to the album constantly but at the end of the day the album is very poor and I hope the next one is a drastic change! :(

Zootlesque said:

I like that one... except I would switch Yahweh & OSC. :shrug:

Let's see, my current playlist may be something like this...

Vertigo
Sometimes
COBL
ABOY
AMAAW
Fast Cars
LAPOE
Crumbs (alt)
OOTS
Yahweh
OSC

With album or single versions of OOTS/ABOY?

Ok, the more I think Vertigo with the 'pleeeeaaase' bridge, the more I want to try to make a mix like that. In fact, I'm gonna try it tonight.

namkcuR said:

With album or single versions of OOTS/ABOY?

Ok, the more I think Vertigo with the 'pleeeeaaase' bridge, the more I want to try to make a mix like that. In fact, I'm gonna try it tonight.

Ooh I meant to say ABOY (alt)

OOTS (single) doesn't sound any better or worse to me than the album version.

And surely you mean 'Freeeeeeeeeeeee' bridge. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Ooh I meant to say ABOY (alt)

OOTS (single) doesn't sound any better or worse to me than the album version.

And surely you mean 'Freeeeeeeeeeeee' bridge. :wink:

I always thought it was 'pleeeeeaaaase' :wink:

Now, by ABOY(alt), to you mean the alternate version from the unreleased&rare set, or the single version?

Well it only took me about two weeks to realize how lame the album is. Funny how many see Crumbs as a boring track. I think it's the best song on the album. Not outstanding or anything, but actually good. I don't have to force myself to accept it. It's got a refreshing unforced quality about it that the other songs lack. The other tune I like is "All Because Of You", just for the sheer drive of it. The lyrics are subpar and the chorus is ugly as sin, but I can groove to it atleast while it's playing. It's the only hard rocker where they sound like they're having a fun time.

ozeeko said:
Funny how many see Crumbs as a boring track. I think it's the best song on the album. Not outstanding or anything, but actually good. I don't have to force myself to accept it. It's got a refreshing unforced quality about it that the other songs lack.

I completely agree! I still love Crumbs, esp. the alternate version from Unreleased and Rare. But you gotta admit the album version is overproduced and busy! It's become almost grating on my ears to hear all those instruments all at once! :slant:

And namkcuR, by alternate I mean the version of ABOY from Unreleased & Rare. Better intro, better chorus, same great bridge!

btw, I'm pretty sure he sings 'Freeeeeee' in Native Son. :huh:

I still listen to bomb more than any other album, right now I am adicted to City of Blinding Lights and I find myself listening to Crums a lot. The only song I really don't listen to much is A Man and A Woman. As far as the single versions go, I think All Because of You single mix is pretty bad, but I love the album version. Whenever I listen to the album on my Ipod, I have a playlist that goes like this:

City of Blinding Lights
Crumbs From Your Table
Miracle Drug
One Step Closer
Original of the Species (single mix)
All Because of You
Vertigo
Love and Peace or Else
A Man and a Woman
Yahweh (alternate version)

Sometimes I add Smile and Mercy but it never seems natural to me for some reason. Looking back on Bomb, it is a truly great album that has had a great run and a great tour, definately a memorable year and third. I haven't gotten sick of it yet because I am constantly rediscovering songs that I initially wrote off. All this being said, I AM GOING CRAZY FOR A NEW ALBUM :drool: :drool: :drool:

I have to say I don't like HTDAAB nearly as much as I did when it first came out. I guess I just haven't been listening to it much lately.

Still, Vertigo is fantastic. One of the best songs on the album easily. Original of the Species is definitely the best - one of U2's top ever songs, imo. I like all the songs on the album pretty well really, but I find Crumbs to be the weakest. The production is terrible - too bright! and as a song it's nothing special for the most part.

Ok, so here' s my first stab at the Vertigo(Free Mix) with the 'free' bridge.

Unfortunately, it's not great. The volume of the Native Son track wasn't mastered as loud as the Vertigo track was, so there's a problem right there. Also, the Bono starts singing again on the last beat of the 'free bridge', whereas there's a dropoff at the end of the bridge in Vertigo, meaning to get the timing right in this new mix, you'd have to hear Bono sing 'on th-' right before 'hello hello' - if that makes any sense. Anyway, I didn't want that, so I had to end the bridge one beat early, which makes the timing awkward.

Like I said, it's not great.

Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/jbmrd

right...had a quick bash it at myself. I'm really sorry if it seems like i'm trying to steal your thunder here namkcuR :huh:

i normalized both to a fairly equal volume but the problem is Native Son and Vertigo were recorded rather differently so the sound isn't the same meaning it's a sudden jolt to the Native Son 'Freeeee!' snippet since there's not the same guitar overdubs etc. there but i did the best i could to make it segue to and from that bit as best as possible.

LINK:
http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?
id=3N6K4Y4LNPOEH0BBVYPIP5X8VI

May help to play it on a media player with a decent equalizer, sounds nicer...but that's just me being fussy. :wink: enjoy.

I still think Bomb is the bomb (HAHA). That being said, it's not nearly as challenging as say AB or UF. For the most part it's safe and sometimes I feel like listening to "safe" music.

I still think SYCMIOYO is excellent. I've been enjoying OOTS and Yahweh more than ever before.

I can take or leave ABOY & AMAAW, the rest of HTDAAB I still adore. :drool: :drool: I guess I'm just not too hung up on production issues. :shrug:

U2 // DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
4. Crumbs From Your Table
5. All Because Of You (single mix)
6. Love And Peace Or Else
7. City Of Blinding Lights
8. Smile
9. A Man And A Woman
10. One Step Closer
11. Yahweh

Yeah, I dropped the “How To” and made it a statement. Dismantle the freakin’ bomb! And now you’re going, “Um…hey…Assface! Where’s Original O’ The Speices?” Why, it’s on my re-tooled version of ATYCLB, now titled ‘See The World’ (from the line in Beautiful Day)

U2 // SEE THE WORLD

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
3. Original Of The Species
4. New York
5. In A Little While
6. Kite
7. Peace On Earth
8. Stateless
9. Love You Like Mad
10. Walk On
11. Stuck In A Moment (acoustic)

And now you’re going, “Um...excuse me? Assface? Where’s ‘Grace’?” (or maybe not) Why, it’s on the imaginary EP that came out in between ‘See The World’ and ‘Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’.

U2 // LEVITATE EP

1. Levitate
2. Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)
3. Summer Rain
4. Wild Honey
5. Are You Gonna Wait Forever
6. Grace

I still find HTDAAB an amazing album. More so now than when it came out. The album is painted with so many colors. Some songs sound like there from AB, Boy, War, or UF. Great album by U2. Everything I expected.

Has anyone ever heard the acoustic version of "A Man & A Woman"? No one ever talks about it.

zoopop said:

Has anyone ever heard the acoustic version of "A Man & A Woman"? No one ever talks about it.

It's basically the album version with the drum tracks turned down.
That's all. Exact same track. No drums.

Still play it alot, while it may not reach the heights of JT and AB and War, it's consistent throughout.

Vertigo - from thinking this is the worst song on the album, I like it better now.

MD - overrated IMO, though I love it from the "hey yeah" and solo onwards.

Sometimes - always loved it.

Love and peace - grew on me a lot, my initial reaction was "this is Cookie monster from Muppets on guitar". If it wasn't for the horrible chorus and the second verse...

City - grew on me also, at first I looked at it as "Streets part II", now I think it's among the best on the album, with Sometimes and Original of the species.

ABOY - my favourite rock song on the album, also the single mix.

AMAAW - neither boo or yay on this one. (I like the acoustic, no-Adam-and-Larry version though) I think the first sort-of acoustic U2 song I don't like. Not far from skipping this one.

Crumbs - another grower, though it sounds alot like Electrical Storm. I'm impressed if it's true they wrote/recorded this one while being drunk.

One step closer - the underrated song of the album IMO. It's not often U2 goes down the atmospheric path, but when they do...

Original of the species - ironically, the perfect U2 pop song wasn't on their official pop album.

Yahweh - it's ok, decent closer.

Still really like the album, in fact, I like it more.

Songs have rotated of the ones I like best and least though.

Still not crazy about One step Closer. I don't know, I just don't like the chorus. The guitar parts are nifty though.

I didn't like OOTS at all at first. Now it's easily one of the best on the album.

Vertigo is still fun. Love and Peace, City, Sometimes, Crumbs, and AMAAW are great still!

Yahweh Live is incredible.

All in all..great album, 3rd best of their career.

My opinion of HTDAAB has decreased with time. Maybe I just overplayed it, I don't know.

I tried to listen to it in the car this morning and only got to Miracle Drug before I switched it to Pop. :drool:

I still like HTDAAB, but I don't love it. Original of the Species is a beautiful song, and I still enjoy listening to that one on a regular basis, but most of the time I could take or leave the rest of the album.
Well, COBL still holds up too, I guess. OOTS is easily the best of the bunch, though.

Time will tell. It really hasn't been long enough yet for me to decide how I really feel about this album. I fully expect to go through another Bomb phase eventually. U2 albums have always worked that way for me. For now, though, I'm sort of taking a break from it.

mads said:
I tried to listen to it in the car this morning and only got to Miracle Drug before I switched it to Pop. :drool:

:lol:

Careful, U2girl may attack you saying your comment was uncalled for! :eyebrow:

:wink:

Everything on that album was, is, and always will be great to listen to! (except for AMAAW/OSC imo) :D
Hooray for HTDAAB!

there's my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom