Zoomerang96's Music Challenge: 30 Of Your Favorite Songs - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Zoomerang96's Music Challenge: 30 Of Your Favorite Songs

Our amigo Zoomerang96 had a great idea. List some of your favorite songs,
and expose your Interference compatriots to some of your favorite music.
No U2. For the obvious reasons. We all know it.
This is a project in a sense, but worth the work.

Wanna actually HEAR this stuff?

Email: Brau1@yahoo.com

Use the subject "30 of Your Favorite Songs."

My reply will make this all very clear.

Then post your list. We wanna hear it.

30 Of My Favorite Songs

1. Mission Drive: The Wonder Stuff. 1991

Taken from their 1991 album, “Never Loved Elvis”, this track is all about angst and energy.
The very understated intro hides the frenzy that is about to come. The perfect song.

2. Learning To Fly: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. 1991

Clean and economical, it rides the same 4 chords through the whole song.
Uplifting and inspiring. The summer road song.

3. From The Bench At Belvidere: The Boo Radleys. 1995

One off single from 1995. Pop in it’s purest form. Everything just works toward the same goal:
making you bob your head with the beat.

4. New Generation: Suede. 1994

Pounding with a beautiful guitar line, Brett Anderson bellows a great vocal melody right into a semi R&B prechorus.
A yearning bleeds through the chorus, as Bernard Butler goes mad through a crescendo guitar solo that give me goose bumps.

5. Hung Up: Paul Weller. 1993

Album closer from 1993’s “Wild Wood.” It’s the perfect example of everything Weller does well.
Tradition English rock, with just a hint of soul. The bridge and solo are spectacular.

6. You Left The Water Running: Otis Redding. 1966

The greatest singer in history, fusing R&B, Rock, and Country.

7. Baby Won’t Ya: MC5. 1971

Raunchy rock and roll. It kicks your ass, and makes you go back to have it kicked again.
I want to scream.

8. While I’ve Got It On My Mind: Johnny Cash. 1974

Johnny wants to get laid. Everyone is out of the house, except for him and his wife.
Johnny is gonna get laid.

9. Joining A Fanclub: Jellyfish. 1993

Put Kiss,, Queen, The Beatles, & Badfinger in a blender. You get Joining a Fanclub.
The coolest song in the universe.

10. Come Anytime: The Hoodoo Gurus. 1989

My favorite Australian rock band. A groovy pop-rock ditty you can dance to.
David Faulkner has a great voice, and he goes from low to high all over this song.

11. Jupiter And Teardrop: Grant Lee Buffalo. 1993

Starts with a bang, then settles into a fine acoustic ballad with explosive bursts of fury.
Grant Lee Philips tells a great story of desperate and tragic love.

12. A New Decade: The Verve. 1995

A total sonic assault. Slow build into the most amazing guitar screams I’ve ever heard.
The slow rhythm just stretches your speakers and lets the guitar magic spread like wildfire.

13. Naked Girl: The Velvet Teen. 2001

Driving and propulsive rhythms. An immediate chorus. A beautiful bridge with nice harmonies,
all the while fueled by a passion that sets the Velvet Teen apart.

14. Sweet Thing: Van Morrison. 1968

Lilting guitar, percussive bass, and Van Morrison singing a beautiful song about living life.
It’ll make you want to walk outside in summer sunshine and soar everything up.

15. Metal Guru: T. Rex. 1972

Joyous, stomping glam-rock sing-along. It’s melody and spirit are infectious.

16. Faraway: Supergrass. 1999

Gentle intro for a more introspective Supergrass tune. It launches into a groove that moves
with the lyric. And the lyric is great:
“I Love my girl, and she love me, I won’t find another to sail my seas.”

17. Life By The Drop: Stevie Ray Vaughn. 1989

acoustic and voice. That’s it. A story of redemption and friendship that’s all the more
poignant with Stevie’s voice and guitar telling it.

18. Powderfinger(Live): Neil Young & Crazy Horse. 1989

A powerful tale, played by a band that knows how to flex their muscle. A guitar solo as
a chorus shouldn’t be so inspirational, but it is.

19. Listen to the Music: The Doobie Brothers. 1972

All I really have to say about it: It makes me really, really happy.

20. Drive In Saturday: David Bowie. 1973

A soul ballad, Doo -Wop beat and back-up vocal. Bowie’s finest songwriting. It just soothes.

21. Come On Let’s Go- Ritchie Valens. 1958

A 50’s classic. What a back beat! It just defines Rock & Roll for me. 2 minutes of bliss.

22. I Can’t Help You Anymore: Aimee Mann. 2005

Starts as what appears to be a reminiscent ballad, but as the lyric gets more desperate
the music comes out to meet it. She manages to fit 4 songs worth of melody into 1 tune.
And it’s all heartbreaking.

23. I’ll Be The One: Badfinger. 1971

Bouncing pop tune with a fluid guitar line that borders on honkey tonk.
These guys knew how to sing in harmony, and there’s no shortage of it here.

24. Simmer Down: Bob Marley. 1963

Early Marley. Sounds like 50’s R&B, but with a rhythmic bounce and flair all it’s own.
His voice just fills you up, in a tune that’s guarantees to make your toe tap.

25. Left Of The Dial: The Replacements. 1985

Earnest, raw, raging. That about sums this one up.

26. Everyday People: Sly And The Family Stone. 1969

Another song that just makes me happy. Lots of Sly songs do that to me.

27. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?: Credence Clearwater Revival. 1970

A really simple song. It cuts right to the emotional feel of the lyric. There’s no BS in it.
I was torn between the original and REM’s cover, but I’ll go with the ache in Fogerty’s voice.

28. Tellin Stories: The Charlatans. 1997

In the history of rock, I don’t think any band has gotten better and better with each record like The Charlatans have.
This is miles away from Manchester. Acoustic guitars, calm rhythm, into bursts of Zeppelinesque guitar and drums.
It all leads into an outro for the ages.

29. A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall: Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians. 1989

I love their take on this Dylan tune. It’s total class.
Her voice is beautiful, and the band gives her enough room to allow the lyrics to
really shine through.

30. Thirteen: Big Star. 1972

The song and story are so delicate and beautiful you can’t help but get wrapped up in it.
Acoustic guitars and voice do more in this song than just about anything I’ve ever heard.
If you listen to this, you will be enchanted.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:43 AM
cool thread do the songs have to be ranked 1-30? or just 30 of your faves?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge
cool thread do the songs have to be ranked 1-30? or just 30 of your faves?
Just 30 favs.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

nice work. i want that supergrass and verve song...i can't believe i can't remember that one off hand. i thought i actually knew something about the verve.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 PM
I've just compiled mine, it's now a matter of uploading it.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
I've just compiled mine, it's now a matter of uploading it.
It takes forever.

But, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:37 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

wowowowoweee, brau. that's a kickass list.

i need to get more familiar with the replacements and mc5.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:42 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

mr. brau, the link for the supergrass song isn't working...7ust so you know.

and yes, you should fix it now.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

My email: theatrefullofsadness@gmail.com

Use the same subject line.

1. Teenage Fanclub - 'Your Love Is The Place Where I Come From'
Undoubtedly one of the greatest pop songs ever written. It's so sweet and lovey-dovey, has a killer chorus, and some of the most fantastic harmonies you will ever hear on record.

2. The Oddfellows - 'So Happy' (live)
Apparently Singapore's best rock song. I don't have a copy of the studio version so this is from the rarities comp 'Bugs and Hisses'. It's garage-y and stuff. They played a gig at the library, of all places, and it was a fun, enjoyable show.

3. Belle & Sebastian - 'Like Dylan In The Movies'
Why I heart Belle & Sebastian. This was the first one I heard by them and it's probably still my favourite.

4. Blur - 'Young & Lovely'
This is a B-side (from the single to 'Chemical World'). It's classic mid-period Blur - Coxo's guitar is the star here, but so is the 'la la la' hook. Blur aren't as good a B-sides band as say, Suede or Oasis, but this is one of the really ace ones.

5. Die Toten Hosen - 'Bonny Und Clyde'
A naff little punkish-pop gem. It's unabashedly catchy, with a hilarious breakdown featuring a police siren of all things. A wee bit cheesy, yes, but very fun.

6. Garageland - 'You Will Never Cry Again'
I honestly can't tell you much about these fellas, apart from the fact they're from New Zealand, that 'Garageland' is a Clash song, and Neil Finn produced them. This song's pretty un-Finn though; it's a Big Rocker, but not like the Datsuns or something, in the sense it's actually good.

7. Johan - 'Everybody Knows'
Thanks to Popmartijn I now know Holland produces some of the best pop music in the world. This song is a bit dated in its mid-90s Foo Fighter-ness, but don't let that stop you from enjoying one of the best choruses ever written in pop music. Nice guitar as well.

8. Wilco - 'Remember The Mountain Bed'
I think I started a thread pimping this song a month or so ago. The lyrics (Woody Guthrie's, apparently) are fantastic, full of imagery, and Jeff Tweedy has this beautiful voice that can really convey the messages very well. It's actually Wilco & Billy Bragg, but Mr. Bragg does not appear at all on this recording so just Wilco then.

9. Manic Street Preachers - 'Automatik Teknicolour'
Another B-side (this time to 'There By The Grace Of God'). It's hardly the best Manics song, or even the best B-side, and it's got a stupid title (why, oh why, Nicky, can't you spell), and the lyrics are a bit crap, but it's got some of the best music they put down on record. The vibe is very New Order/Depeche Mode (in the sense it's 'rockin' dance music') and kinda foreshadows 2004's finest album bar none, 'Lifeblood'.

10. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - '(I'll Love You) 'Til The End Of The World'
On the 'Faraway, So Close!' soundtrack. It's a love song by a bombmaker. That's all you need to know.

11. Richard Thompson - 'I Feel So Good'
The greatest guitarist in rock history, and not a bad singer either. Awesome, awesome stuff.

12. Sui Generis - 'Cancion Para Mi Muerte'
Argentina's greatest rock band? There's some amazing stories about this group and their conflicts with the Argentinian government at the time, but anyway, this is a beautiful song. Fantastic guitar work, and it's got this heartbreaking, yearning quality about it. Good chorus too.

13. The Clash - 'Pressure Drop'
This is the old reggae song by The Maytals (which is worth seeking in its' own right, some wonderful harmonies there), given an amazing hard rock treatment. It's a lot, lot better than 'Police & Thieves' as well.

14. The Cure - 'Fire In Cairo'
Before those impossibly lush ballads, the Cure had a kind of nervy edginess to them. This song (like other early Cure songs) has a brilliantly ominous bassline, and it all sounds like it's going to collapse on them but they somehow keep it together.

15. The Roots feat. Cody Chestnutt- 'Seed 2.0'
One of my favourite songs of the past few years. It's really impossible not to dance to.

16. Velocity Girl - 'My Forgotten Favorite'
A forgotten favourite, indeed. It's actually on the soundtrack to the movie 'Clueless'. It's got layers and layers of fuzz which doesn't obscure the lovely vocals (or the song itself) but rather gives it this unique quality.

17. Beth Orton - 'I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine'
The fact Dido is more popular than Beth Orton is one of the reasons why the world sucks today. This is a fairly traditional reading of the old Ronnie Spector classic, just Orton on voice and guitar; it's absolutely heartbreaking. If you're familiar with the original, check this out; if you're not, then you'll find yourself listening to one of the saddest songs ever.

18. Primal Scream - 'Damaged'
This is a fairly straightforward, Stones-ish ballad, without any of the acid house leanings that permeate most of the other tracks on Screamadelica. It's really bluesey, and there's a magnificent guitar solo that shows the world how guitar solos ought to be done (ie. not wanky, like Pink Floyd).

19. New Order - '60 Miles An Hour'
From the very underrated Get Ready album. There's very little dance here; it's a plain rock monster. Sumner's lyrics are rubbish as usual but at least he sounds like he's having fun. I am too.

20. Mark Seymour & Paul Kelly - 'Hey Boys'
I bought this as a single for $1 (it's on the soundtrack to an obscure Australian film called 'Garbo'). Seymour, of course, is the lead singer of the Aussie legends Hunters & Collectors; Kelly is a distinguished singer/songwriter in his own right. Nick Seymour (Mark's brother and Crowded House member) is on bass while the Finn Brothers are on backing vocals. There's mandolin and violin on it. Can a song like this go wrong? Of course not.

21. Radiohead - 'Ripcord'
From their debut Pablo Honey. It's one of my favourite Radiohead songs, because I think it showcases Thom's singing voice perfectly.

22. St. Etienne - 'Heart Failed (In The Back Of A Taxi)'
A bit of a forgotten single now. It's one of their best pop singles, if a little cold compared to their early work. Still I love the images it conjours of late nights in some European cities. Don't we all?

23. The Delays - 'Long Time Coming'
The bloke in Southampton's Delays really is a bloke, although I mistook him for a woman at first). I can't tell you much about the band other than that (they're on a compilation that came with a magazine) but this song has a brilliantly driving rhythm and offers a lot more than say, Muse.

24. Magnetic Fields - 'All My Little Words'
It's criminal so few people on these boards have heard this song. Stephin Merritt is a pop genius and more people should know this.

25. The Cardigans - 'You're The Storm'
Most of the best bands in the world are Swedish. This one was a single from the Cardigans album before the current one, and it's got a killer chorus.

26. Nick Drake - 'At The Chime Of A City Clock'
Just like I associate Bruce Springsteen with small-town America, so I associate Nick Drake with rainy London streets. Drake's actually a brilliant guitarist and he really did have one of the saddest voices ever.

27. Elliott Smith - 'Waltz#2 (XO)'
I can't write enough good things about this song. It's got brilliant lyrics but also some amazing production/instrumentation. It's very sad that he's gone now.

28. Concrete Blonde - 'Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)'
This is the short version on the 'Recollection' best of. Thanks to Jen (HeartlandGirl) for making reference to them so I got interested. They really did have some great singles, Concrete Blonde; this might be my favourite of the lot (apart, perhaps, from the heartbreaking 'Tomorrow, Wendy', but that was a cover).

29. Billy Bragg - 'A New England'
A venerable classic. You either hate Bragg or love him. This song contains one of my favourite lyrics ever: 'I saw two shooting stars last night/I wished on them/but they were only satellites/is it wrong to wish on space hardware/I wish I wish I wish you'd care.' Kirsty MacColl did a nice version with an extra verse as well, but I don't think it tops Bragg.

30. Noir Desir & Manu Chao - 'La Vent Nous Portera'
One of THE best songs to play in the summer. I used to be in love with French pop (now, not so) but this remains a favourite to this day because it's so awesome.

31. Darling Buds - 'Long Day In The Universe'
And finally something from the early 90s! Again it's another catchy pop song, with shoegazer influences, but thankfully it's not as tedious as some of the bands from that era. It's quite a perky little tune, a great chorus and some sweet vocals. I wonder what they're doing now...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 11:43 AM
The greatest guitarist in rock history, and not a bad singer either. Awesome, awesome stuff

i was pleasantly surprised to see this !
i have rumour and sigh and mock tudor by him
very super
very super indeed

do ya really think he plays guitar that great to call him the greatest guitarist in rock history?
plus -- his music is really more folky than true rock
its like soul/folk
Old 01-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
Acrobat

Dearie Me, I want to make one.

Although I think mine might be alittle bit more "mainstream".
Old 01-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv
The greatest guitarist in rock history, and not a bad singer either. Awesome, awesome stuff

i was pleasantly surprised to see this !
i have rumour and sigh and mock tudor by him
very super
very super indeed

do ya really think he plays guitar that great to call him the greatest guitarist in rock history?
plus -- his music is really more folky than true rock
its like soul/folk
Nah of course not. I indulge in hyperbole all the time.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
7. Johan - 'Everybody Knows'
Thanks to Popmartijn I now know Holland produces some of the best pop music in the world. This song is a bit dated in its mid-90s Foo Fighter-ness, but don't let that stop you from enjoying one of the best choruses ever written in pop music. Nice guitar as well.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

its not like that

first you compile 30 to 20

and then u talk about it...

you argue

and then you come up with 19-10

and then excitement increases..

which will be in top 1-9

then 9-3

then

and then

its gotto like this
Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
mr. brau, the link for the supergrass song isn't working...7ust so you know.

and yes, you should fix it now.
I've just checked it. It works.