Zoomerang96's Music Challenge: 30 Of Your Favorite Songs - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
27. Smashing Pumpkins – “Tonight, Tonight”

I’m kind of over the Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan’s voice is like biting into aluminum foil to me. But this song is just so great. It’s sweeping, and lush, and grand, and I love when it breaks into the 3/4 time signature.

31. Sugababes – “Freak Like Me”

A British friend put this on a mix CD for me, and my reaction to it was something along the lines of: “What IS this? Isn’t this an old Adina Howard song? What the hell??” I did a little research and learned this was a trio of British teenagers, and the song was a mash-up of the Adina Howard song “Freak Like Me” and Gary Neuman’s “Are Friends Electric” (I think that’s what it’s called). It’s so awesome, I can’t even tell you. The rest of the Sugababes stuff is hit or miss with me, but when it’s good, it’s GOOD.
love this smashing pumpkins song....will be on my fav list when i get it together.

heard this song on the brits when sugbabes performed it and i had the same reaction to you....LOL....but i do like it as i do the original when i used to play it alot when i was in high school.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

6. Feel to Believe -- Beth Orton

16. Feeling Oblivion -- Turin Brakes

26. Amazing It Seems -- Granada

28. These Are Just Years -- Idlewild
You sent me all of these on a mix and I can't tell you how many times I've put them on mixes for other people. These are also among my favorite songs.

Quote:
30. Tie Up My Hands -- Starsailor
How could I have forgotten this. Probably because I haven't listened to it in ages.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by The Absent One

10. Crowded House - Dont Dream Its Over
I remember this song from a Now Thats What I Call Music album and loved it then. Its moving, and it progresses at such a meandering pace. Almost perfect in its construction.

27. Elton John - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
I first heard this is the film 'Almost Famous' at the point where the tragically fucked-up Penny Lane has hit rock bottom and to me it charts the most powerful moment of intimacy in the film. Its a very angry song from Mr. John, all about the falsity of public life and the unreality of living the party life. Takes the listener on a trip through psychodelic cartoon landscapes until they emerge in the deserted streets of an empty city at night. Makes me feel powerful and significant like walking through those deserted streets at night.
"Don't Dream It's Over" should have been on my list as well as something from early Elton.

and ditto what yertle said about your writing!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #79
Refugee

Local Time: 11:50 PM
ok here's the short verson and in no particular order...

1. U2 - Gone
2. Doves - Rise
3. Doves - Satelites (Live) "i want you to notice...my anger's all but done...and all i've known is madness"
4. Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
5. Coldplay - Don't Panic
6. Coldplay - Easy To Please
7. Radiohead - Karma Police
8. The Verve - Lucky Man
9. REM - Country Feedback
10. REM - Man ON The Moon
11. REM - Nightswimming
12. Depeche Mode - Everything Counts
13. Counting Crows - Anna Begins
14. Weezer - Island In The Sun...always puts a smile on my face
15. The Beatles - Penny Lane
16. The Beatles - Strawberry Field's Forever
17. Ryan Adams - La Cienega Just Smiled
18, Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight
19. Dave Matthews Band - Crash Into Me
20. Madonna - Holiday
21. Michael Jackson - Human Nature (I still love retro MJ)
22. Blur - Parklife
23. Elbow - Station Approach
24. The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It

the rest are favorites from canadian aritists cause i can't think of anything else to write....

25. Broken Social Scene - Anthem of A Seventeen Year Old Girl
26. Blue Rodeo - Falling Down Blue
27. The Tragically Hip - Bobcaygeon
28. Kathleen Edwards - Hockey Skates
29. Sarah Harmer - Silver Road
30. Feist - Mushaboom
Old 01-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #80
The Fly

Local Time: 03:50 AM
This is one of the best threads ever. My list is going to be rather mainstream as well but anyway...

20. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
Such a sweet song. Perfect for a wedding.

19. Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
A great, great song. Played at my high-school graduation ceremony as we all walked in to our school hall for the final time - no other song would have been more appropriate.

18. The Freshmen - Verve Pipe
I have no idea who these guys are but a great, great song. First defiant then mournful and finally anguished tale about teenage loss.

17. Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
A song made for a stadium.

16. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
Anthem. An irresistible celebration of youth. I don't know of a single person who doesn't love this song. Anyone who wants to, can feel young again - for 3:37 at least.

15. Policy of Truth - Depeche Mode
'Never again is what you swore, the time before'. Love the guitar and lyrics in this one.

14. Linger - The Cranberries
Dolores O'Riordan has one of those voices you either really love or absolutely detest. I go back and forth, but I love how she sounds on this one. 'You know I'm such a fool for you.' Do you have to, do you have to, let it linger?

13. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica
The guitar is relentless throughout. Great lyrics as well. My favourite Metallica.

12 . Find The River - R.E.M.
Reflctive and moving - this is the perfect closer to a great album. 'Leave the road and memorize, This life that pass before my eyes, Nothing is going my way.'

11. Drowned World/Substitue For Love - Madonna
Ray of Light is a great album and this, the opener, is arguably its best song, although the title track and 'Skin' are great too. Madonna's voice is perfect for this song.

10. Return to Innocene - Enigma
A song everyone's heard. Enigma were one of the best known new age outfits around in the 90s and this is from their second album, 'The Cross of Changes'.

9. Grace - Jeff Buckley
The album is truly outstanding and it's incredibly hard to pick one song, but the title track is about as good as anything in life gets.

8. Something In The Air - Sarah Brightman
Sarah Brightman sings pop music but can do classical as well. One of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. This, a duet with Tom Jones, is much rockier than her usual stuff but it works.

7. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
This song was made famous thanks to a pair of immortal scenes in Cameron Crowe's touching romance 'Say Anything'. A wonderful song on an album ('So') full of them.

6. Patience - Guns N Roses
Axl all mellowed out. It works. Beautifully.

5. Aicha - Khaled
Khaled is an Algerian born, Paris based world music star and Aicha - sung in French - is one of his biggest hits.

4. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
It's surprising how little-known Crowded House are. I get blank faces when I mention Crowded House. Then I play this track. It's so familiar. Everyone knows it but nobody knows it until the most irresistible chorus ever hits. The verses are beautiful as well. One of the best songs ever.

3. Is This Love - Bob Marley
My favourite Bob Marley song. Dancing - or in my case, what passes for it - is a must and what an awesome chorus. Is this love, is this love, is this love, is this love that I'm feeeeelinggg?

2. Secret Garden - Bruce Springsteen
I love the lyrics. They're much simpler - at least on first listen - than usual from Springsteen. Cameron Crowe picks his music well - this was in 'Jerry Maguire'. One of the sexiest songs ever.

1. Private Universe - Crowded House
Gorgeous. Atmospheric, dreamy almost and the vocals are . Takes me to another place entirely.

I will run for shelter
endless summer lift the curse
it feels like nothing matters
in our private universe

That was fun.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #81
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Except for Number 1, the order means nothing.

1. Three Days – Jane’s Addiction (Ritual de lo Habitual)
Rock’s finest moment. The greatest rock song ever written. Stephen Perkins assures his place at the right hand of the Rock God.
2. Solisbury Hill – Peter Gabriel
Damn near a perfect pop song. Brilliant lyrics.
3. Debaser – The Pixies (Doolittle)
Awesome energy.
4. Plainsong – The Cure (Disintegration)
Greatest opening of an album, ever.
5. Dear Prudence – The Beatles (White Album)
I love how it sounds like they’re going to fall apart, then they pull it all together.
6. Let Down – Radiohead (OK Computer)
Pure emotion.
7. Fearless – Pink Floyd (Meddle)
Great lyrics, wonderful song.
8. The Card Cheat – The Clash
Like a brick wall.
9. Bone Machine – The Pixies (Surfer Rosa)
He bought me a soda and tried to molest me in the parking lot…yup yup.
10. Birdsong of the Olympus Monde – The Pixies (Trompe Le Monde)
Just an awesome song.
11. Motorway to Roswell – The Pixies (Trompe Le Monde)
It’s about an alien on vacation that crashes at Roswell and gets thrown into a box!
12. Here Comes Your Man – The Pixies (Doolittle)
The perfect pop song.
13. Fake Plastic Trees – Radiohead (The Bends)
Just a wonderful and emotional song.
14. Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen (Born to Run)
Excellent lyrics, tons of energy, very authentic.
15. Soon – My Bloody Valentine (Loveless)
Not my favorite MBV song, but I think it maybe their best. I love the heavy distortion drowning out the undecipherable lyrics. Bush tried to commercialize this sound with Glycerine, and failed. But the singer from Bush has sex with Gwen Stefani, so….he wins. I’ll STFU now.
16. Ready to Go – Republica
I just love this tune.
17. Tears of a Clown – Smokey Robinson
Such a happy tune, perfect suits the mood of what he’s saying.
18. What a wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
Nothing needs to be said.
19. Estranged – GnR (Use Your Illusion II)
I like the structure of the song. And it has a beautiful guitar solo.
20. Tens Years Gone – Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti)
Jimmy Page was the guitar master.
21. Over the Hills and Far Away – Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy)
Best intro riff ever.
22. The Song Remains the Same – Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy)

23. I am trying to Break Your Heart - Wilco –(Yankee Hotel Foxtrot)
I love the emotion in Jeff Tweedy’s voice.
24. Poor Places – Wilco – (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Yankee Hotel Foxtrot …. Nice.

25. Pink Floyd – Mother (The Wall)
Greatest guitar solo ever.
26. Manic Depression – Jimi Hendrix
Perfect rock.
27. Goodbye Blue Skies – Pink Floyd (The Wall)
So smooth, flows flawlessly.
28. What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye (What’s Going On)
Such a beautiful and smooth song.
29. Do You Realize – The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi vs the Pink Robots)
Our generations Imagine.
30. Gigantic – The Pixies (Surfer Rosa)
You can’t have a top song list without Kim Deal.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Damn was this TUFF !!

Here they are in no particular order beacuse my brain would have surely blown up.

1. Tori Amos - Professional Widow

this song gives me shivers. musically, it is so unique and the arrangement so perfect for the nutty lyrics (i'm a sucker for crazy lyrics). Tori's vocal range is impressive to say the least.....Lines such as "We've got every re-run of Mahammad Ali to the ending line of "give me peace, love, and a hard cock" is utterly brilliant.

2. Jane's Addiction - 3 Days

An epic masterpiece around 9 minutes (or longer) and every second is necessary. begins slowly and hauntingly builds into an explosion that only Jane's can muster. Stephen Perkins' drumming absolutely blows my F'ing mind.

3. Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

Classic guitar riff...and once you think that the repetitiveness will get boring, Page does the same riff but changes the octave. Plant's delivery & Bonham's timing get me going every time.

4. Tom Petty - Learning to Fly

Simple song, an instantly memorable melody that fits any mood I am in...criminally under rated gem

5. Depeche Mode - Waiting for the Night to Fall

this is the sloooow simple melody off of Violator. Listen to this song next to your loved one in bed, in the dark, and have no outside noise pollution....the production is flawless and will have you dreaming of other worlds, of other possibilities, of a limitless future

6. Depeche Mode - World In My Eyes

Sure, this is a highly popular tune and was amassive radio hit. But you can't argue w/ it's beauty. It's so magestic and pure. "All I ever wanted, all I ever needed, is here in my arms, words are so very, unecesary, they can only do harm"

7. The Beattles - We Can Work It Out

In my humble opinion, this song gets the shaft and doesn't get the praise that the Beattles countless other songs get. I enjoy it's driving rhythm, optimistic lyrics, and I love to sing along to it. It rocks my socks off !

8. Folk Implosion - Natural One

Don't know what it is about this song....perhaps it's laid back flow or the mixing of the music (especially the drums), but I can't get enough of this song either.

9. Prodigy - Firestarter

I mean really, is there really another song that gets you more hyped up, angry, and want to dance at the same time?? Sure, it's all programmed music, but it's done to perfection.

10. The Cure - Catch

The Cure have an enormous back catolgoue, and I could have chosen a dozen Cure songs. But this wishy washy, lazy summer afternoon song is my favorite. "Sometimes we would spend the night just rolling about on a floor. And I remember even though it felt soft at the time, I always used to wake up sore"......Ahh, the memories of a teenager w/ rug burns were never so eloquently stated.

11. Violent Femmes - Out the Window

I think as an overall song, this is VF's best. It has everything that you want from the Femmes & some of their best harmonies (off of the often ignored album, Why Do Birds Sing?)

12. Bee Gees - Jive Talking

Don't know what I can say about this song other than that it is timeless. makes this white guy want to strut his stuff. Wanna know where The Edge got his falsetto for SYCMIOYO? look no further

13. Qkumba Zoo - Big

This song is insane, complete w/ tribal beats, and fantastic singing at a delirious tempo

14. Chili Peppers - Can't Stop

Another band w/ a tremendous back catologue...But I love the intro where it just builds and the drum just gets louder and louder and goes right into a sweet guitar riff...Keidis' vocals are delivered in such a funky way, that you can not not bounce your head. "This life is more than just a read through !"

15. Metallica - One
From the distant gunfire in the beginning to the melodic riff, to the scary and unimaginable lyrics, to the thunderous ending, One is freaking awesome. If you watch the video, the song will hit home.

16. REM - Nightswimming
Pure, magical, innocent...and great piano. this song needs nothing else, they struck gold when they wrote this one.

17. Smashing Pumpkins - Muzzle
I love the music, and the heartfelt scincerity in Corgan's lyrics. Teen angst never sounded better

18. The Doors - Peace Frog

I think I love this one so much because it is so different from the rest of the Doors catolgoue. Dancable Doors, gotta love it. Peppy tune with really dark lyrics.

19. Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole

Desperation is what Layne Staley does best. Jerry Cantrell really shines w/ his backing vocals/harmonies on this one.

20. The Pixies - Subacultcha
So gritty and weird, this is the Pixies at their quirkiest.

21. John Lennon - Instant Karma

Nuff said

22. John Lennon - Watching the Wheels

This song describes me, just watching it all happen, taking it in....It's what you do with this information that really counts.

23. John Lennon - Imagine
God walked into the studio and said "hey john, let's write one"

24. The Smiths - There is a Light that never Goes Out

How can you beat this love song? Has a love song ever been "worded" this way?

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

25. Bob Marley - Redemption Song

Like the Doors, Peace Frog, I like this because it's unique to Bob's other songs. instantly memorable guitar, and Bob just doing his thing.

26. Aerosmith - Dream on

What a friggin awesome song....that guitar !! the melody, the pain !!

27. Phish - Bouncing Around the Room

I'm not a Phish fan per se, but the mixing and production of this song is like a crystal blue stream....refreshing, groovy, it goes places, I could go on and on and on

28. Pearl Jam - Black

You all know it and many of you haven't played it in a while because you heard it a trillion times back in the early 90's. Do me a favor, listen to it real loud real soon.

29. The Police - King of Pain

I knew I loved it instantly. I knew where i was when I first heard it. I was about 7 years old, in the car, on vacation w/ my family. If King of Pain can "move" a 7 year old, those boys created a sonic masterpiece. In a time where pop dominated the radio, this was and is refreshing.

30. Inxs - Never Tear us Apart

My wedding song....It will never wear out it's welcome.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075

24. The Smiths - There is a Light that never Goes Out

How can you beat this love song? Has a love song ever been "worded" this way?

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

29. The Police - King of Pain

I knew I loved it instantly. I knew where i was when I first heard it. I was about 7 years old, in the car, on vacation w/ my family. If King of Pain can "move" a 7 year old, those boys created a sonic masterpiece. In a time where pop dominated the radio, this was and is refreshing.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075

1. Tori Amos - Professional Widow

this song gives me shivers. musically, it is so unique and the arrangement so perfect for the nutty lyrics (i'm a sucker for crazy lyrics). Tori's vocal range is impressive to say the least.....Lines such as "We've got every re-run of Mahammad Ali to the ending line of "give me peace, love, and a hard cock" is utterly brilliant.

A friend and I do quite an imitation of Tori singing this. We know every breath and every utterance by heart. It would hurt your ears to hear us, though, lol.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

3. Debaser – The Pixies (Doolittle)
Awesome energy.
I love this song just because I can sing the line "Slicin' up eyeballs! Whoa-oh-oh-oh!" at the top of my lungs.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

I love this song just because I can sing the line "Slicin' up eyeballs! Whoa-oh-oh-oh!" at the top of my lungs.

Isn't that SOOO much fun to sing?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

What happened to the emails and the links?

Zoomerang's challege is just another list thread now.

Sorry dude.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
What happened to the emails and the links?
no kidding. i thought that was the whole point.

i'm holding off on posting my list until i have all the songs in mp3 form (i'm just missing one).

and also because i'm incredibly indecisive.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I'm going to have to send you Tori Amos' recent cover of this one.

I keep looking at other people's lists and thinking, "Why wasn't that song on my list?"
Old 01-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

MrBrau, I am technically challenged in general. Also, I am at work & don't have the capabilities of posting such links.

My apologies.