Zoomerang96's Music Challenge: 30 Of Your Favorite Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yertle-the-turtle said:

Yes I'm a wee bit disappointed in that respect.

Email me, people! :)

For the record, I've downloaded all your songs ( except for the one's I already had), and they now reside in their own ITunes playlist "yertles favs."

First off, I'm not as indie as everyone else and I'm kind of embarrassed to post this. I generally tend to stay stuck in the past when it comes to music, but that's me. :sexywink: Secondly, I'm so glad that you included some classical in your favourites list, Zoomerang. This has made it a hell of a lot easier for me, as I listen to a fair bit of classical myself.

If anyone wants to hear any of the songs, send an email to promenade@flickerandfade.org.

Here's my list, in descending alphabetical order because there's no way I'd be able to rank this stuff. :drool: I'm afraid there isn't much variety. I tried. Sorry if it's a bit too lengthy in parts!

01. Wolf Parade - Dear Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts (2005)
I've only been familiar with Wolf Parade for a couple of months now. I got their debut album a little while ago and began to fall in love with them slowly. This song in particular stands out to me. The vocals can be a bit grating at times, but for some reason, they just work. The melody in the pre-chorus (not sure what to call it) is near perfect. "You KNOW-HO!"

02. Television - Marquee Moon (1977)
I've only been listening to Television for a short time as well (on the suggestion of a fellow Interferencer - thanks canadiens1160!) Despite that, this song has shot up in my personal rankings. The song is ten minutes and thirty-eight seconds long, but I listen to it the whole way through every time. Because the guitar is so infectious, Marquee Moon would wipe out a small nation if it was a deadly virus. Lame analogy, yes, but it's true.

03. Simon & Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair/Canticle (1966)
When most people mention Simon & Garfunkel, they often cite Bridge Over Troubled Water. While that song is lovely in its own way, this song in particular, I feel, absolutely squashes it. It's beautiful. Reminds me of a lazy, rainy English afternoon.

04. Radiohead - Climbing Up The Walls (1997)
Hands down, one of the best songs of the 90s. I can't really put it into words. There's the menacing bass line, the eerie synth/piano notes in the verses, the disjointed drumming... It frightens me to death, but in a good way. "Open up your skull, I'll be there climbing up the walls."

05. Radiohead - Exit Music (1997)
Another masterpiece. This song moves me to tears every time I hear it. It's probably one of the most depressing songs ever written by any band in recent times. Thom Yorke's performance and lyrics are amazing. Like Climbing Up The Walls, it also has its share of eerie background noise. From 2:50 and onwards, it becomes a monster. A fucking brilliant monster, at that. The vocal climax at 3:20 is just out of this world. And what frightening words to end it on... "We hope that you choke, that you choke."

06. Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely (2000)
This is the stand-out track on Kid A. It's depressing, like Exit Music, but it's a kind of beautiful depression. 3:30 until the end is gut-wrenching. That synth outro is one of the best things ever written.

07. Queen - '39 (1975)
This song isn't like any other Queen song. It has a very folksy feel about it, what with the acoustic guitar and the whole beat of the thing. It's sung beautifully by Brian May, along with some great choral moments with the rest of the band. I don't really care for the theme of the lyrics (another WWII orientated song) but the melody more than makes up for it.

08. The Police - Deathwish (1979)
Say what you will about The Police. It's true that they never really did advance that much, musically. But they were very good at what they did. The reggae-punk thing sounded great. This song starts out with a catchy minute-long instrumental section. Very strong drums. The vocals are typical Sting vocals. I don't care for them much. For me, this song is more about the music.

09. Pink Floyd - In The Flesh (1979)
A brilliant concept song from one of the greatest concept albums of all time. This is the second version of the song that appears on The Wall. In case you don't know the story, this album is all about Roger Waters taking on the role of Pink, a drugged-up rockstar whose life and relationship with his audience are both quickly disintegrating around him. With In The Flesh, he's pretending to be part of a "surrogate band" filling in for the real band, as explained in the line "I got some bad news for you, sunshine, Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel." The leader of the surrogate band basically insults the whole audience ("Are there any QUEEEEERS in the theatre tonight? Get 'em up against the wall!") as a way of testing their loyalty. Aside from the delightful insanity of the lyrics and the meaning of the lyrics, it's very strong musically. Awesome guitar and bass.

10. Pink Floyd - The Gunner's Dream (1983)
This song contains, I think, the best lyrics in any Pink Floyd song. The imagery is so stark, painful, and beautiful. Along with another song that almost made the cut on my list ("The Final Cut" - pun intended) it's like a window into Roger Waters' soul. Just listen to it from the 4:00 mark until the end. Amazing. "His dream is driving me INSANE." My favourite Floyd song.

11. Pink Floyd - Childhood's End (1972)
I don't have much to say about this song, except that David Gilmour sings it wonderfully. He has such a lovely, smooth voice, and he uses it to its full potential in this song. Childhood's End is also very tight musically.

12. Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones) (1977)
This song's absolutely mad. "Big man! Pig man! Ha ha, charade you are!" Only Roger Waters could write something like that. This song in particular was influenced very heavily by George Orwell's Animal Farm. The lyrics reflect it very well, which is half the reason why I enjoy them so much (I'm a big Orwell fan.)

13. Nick Drake - Things Behind The Sun (1972)
One of the saddest songs I think I've ever heard. Beautiful acoustic guitar and beautiful lyrics. If I could have included this whole album (Pink Moon) I would have.

14. Modest Mouse - The Cold Part (2000)
If you're into mysterious-sounding songs, this is one for you. The guitar, violin, and Ian Brock's voice all compliment one another very well. Great atmospheric song. It almost feels cold when you listen to it.

15. Modest Mouse - Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes (2000)
Just a very cool, catchy, danceable song!

16. Modest Mouse - Out Of Gas (1997)
I adore the guitar in this song. It's very simple, but it sounds great. The chorus is fantastic too - MM's catchiest chorus (excluding "Float On.")

17. Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 23 In F Minor, Op. 57 (Appasionata - 1st Mvt.)
The best movement of an absolutely wonderful classical piano piece. It's famous for a reason. There's not much you can really say to describe classical piano, so just take my word that it's great.

18. Joy Division - Atrocity Exhibition (1980)
Brilliant song. Adam almost stole a portion of the bass line from this song for Vertigo. The real story about this song, though, is in the drums, the psychotic guitar, and Ian Curtis' chilling lyrics. "Asylums with doors open wide, where people had paid to see inside, for entertainment they watch his body twist, behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

19. Interpol - Hands Away (2002)
Another depressing song (beginning to notice a trend?) but one with a brilliant build-up. There are very little lyrics in this song. The beauty of it lies in the guitar and the subtle drums.

20. Glenn Gould - Aria Da Capo
Another classical piece. I discovered this one thanks to the movie, Hannibal. It's absolutely beautiful, performed by Glenn Gould and originally composed by J.S. Bach.

21. Chopin - Prelude In D Flat Major Op. 28, No.5
Another haunting classical piece. Very beautiful. I seem to recall it being used in the movie, The Pianist, but so much Chopin was used in that movie that I can't really tell.

22. Shostakovich - Symphony No. 5 in D Minor, Op. 47: IV
The fourth movement in what I feel was Shostakovich's best symphony. If you don't enjoy classical piano but enjoy orchestral orientated pieces, definitely have a listen to this. One of Russia's finest composers.

23. Echo & The Bunnymen - Porcupine (1983)
This song is so strange. I don't really even know what's going on in it, just that it's great. Odd drums, an almost out of place acoustic guitar backing, and really odd lyrics. The song picks up in tempo (the change is so natural, it just fits perfectly) at the 3:16 mark. And that's when the song becomes brilliant.

24. Echo & The Bunnymen - All My Colours (1981)
This song is very dark. Obviously about relationship woes "what to say when your heart's in pieces?" and "that box you gave me burned nicely." It's executed very well, though. Wonderful drums and a wonderful vocal delivery by Ian McCulloch.

25. Echo & The Bunnymen - Over The Wall (1981)
This song has a great build-up, and it's one of my all time favourite Bunnymen songs. Another dark one with fucking weird lyrics, i.e. "The monkey on my back won't stop laughing" and "the slug on my neck won't stop chewing." The drums that kick in at 2:11 are awesome. The outro is probably one of the best outros the Bunnymen ever did. 3:52 and onwards is fantastic.

26. David Bowie - Life On Mars? (1971)
Everyone knows this one, so I'm sure you know it's great!

27. The Clash - Rudie Can't Fail (1979)
My favourite Clash song. Great beat, great guitars.

28. The Chills - Pink Frost (1986)
One of my favourite songs by this NZ band. Granted, I haven't heard much of their stuff, but this one's good enough. I appreciate it for the music most of all.

29. Bright Eyes - Don't Know When But A Day Is Gonna Come (2002)
A lot of people dismiss Bright Eyes because of Conor Oberst's silly teen girl fans and his emo lyrics. I think this song is very strong, however. It reminds me a little too much of an REM song that I can't really remember the name of at the moment, but that's okay. The music at 3:40 is great.

30. The Arcade Fire - The Crown Of Love (2004)
There are a lot of great songs on Funeral, but this is the one that has grown on me the most. Beautiful chorus.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
What happened to the emails and the links?

Zoomerang's challege is just another list thread now.

Sorry dude.

Ok, here are some of my favorite songs, in alphabetical order. Email me if you want something (although I have never ysi'd before I guess now's a good time to figure it out). I don't know if I'll have time to upload everything and some of these all of you probably have anyway, so on a request basis might work best for now.

joyfulgirl60@gmail.com

I just don't have time to upload songs that everyone already has anyway and my list wasn't exactly eclectic. I know offering to send people the songs isn't as good as just being able to click on a link and hear something right now but this is the best I can do right now. Sorry. :(

MrBrau1 said:

For the record, I've downloaded all your songs ( except for the one's I already had), and they now reside in their own ITunes playlist "yertles favs."

I've done the same with yours, Brau. It was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. :)

Yeah, I didn't want to upload songs people didn't want. The offer still stands, though - email me if you want any, or all, of the songs on my list.

alicia.k@comcast.net

It's a lot less work for anyone to email me and request something, than for me to take the time to upload every song without knowing if anyone's going to download them.

And no one's emailed me since I posted my list Sunday night, so there you go. :wink:

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

And no one's emailed me since I posted my list Sunday night, so there you go. :wink:

Me either, and I kept checking every 5 minutes expecting a flood of requests and I stood by hale and hearty to fulfill each and every one. :sad:

be careful what you ask for :uhoh:

joyfulgirl said:

I've done the same with yours, Brau. It was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. :)

i love that phrase.

somewhere, sometime, someone had a really good time with a barrel of monkeys.

Numb1075 said:
MrBrau, I am technically challenged in general. Also, I am at work & don't have the capabilities of posting such links.:sad:

My apologies.

Oh, I understand. That is fine. I just had this vision of hearing hundreds of new songs, that were highly rated by my amigos here. It does require some work, and not everyone can make 30 links.

But what if they did? :hyper:

Are we even allowed to post links to commercially released stuff? Maybe to stay within the rules of the board, we really should do links via email only.

joyfulgirl said:

Me either, and I kept checking every 5 minutes expecting a flood of requests and I stood by hale and hearty to fulfill each and every one. :sad:

awww... :hug:

That's ok, people rarely want to hear the stuff I listen to either. I've been pondering/compiling my list, but doubt I'll post it. Partly because I doubt many would care for what I like anyway, and also because every time I upload or download a song or two I have to go buy a damned cd (or two or three) to assuage my guilt, and I don't feel like buying 30 cds right now. :huh:

So I actually don't mind if it's a list with reasons (for liking the various songs).

indra said:

awww... :hug:

That's ok, people rarely want to hear the stuff I listen to either.

I think the problem with my list is that everyone already has most of it. Could it be because I get all my big music discoveries here? :hmm: :wink:

MrBrau1 said:
What happened to the emails and the links?

Zoomerang's challege is just another list thread now.

Sorry dude.

i was thinking the same thing...the whole point of this thread is to SHARE what you're listening to.

even though i haven't done that...but for fair reason. in fact, you might say i have 56 k reasons... :sexywink:

I just remembered a song that is absolutely one of my favorites and I can't believe I forgot it. "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" by Manic Street Preachers. Consider it on my list.

you might say my internet connection has lecavalier'd to a halt, for richards or poorer...

Great thread! Lots of new music to listen to while at work. Still compiling my list...hope this thread is still active by the time I'm done. Thirty's quite a bit!

oh, what the hell
e-mail: eating.glass@gmail.com
ask me for a single song or tomorrow I'll make a big zip/rar archive with all of them

my top 50, no particular order:

1. The Smiths - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Love Me
2. Explosions in the Sky - Glittering Blackness
3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Sleep
4. Sigur Ros - Ny Batteri
5. 65daysofstatic - I Swallowed Hard, Like I Understood
6. Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely
7. Elbow - Red
8. Kashmir - Melpomene
9. The Album Leaf - Vermillion
10. Cursive - Some Red Handed Sleight Of Hand
11. Marianne Faithfull - Mystery of Love
12. Interpol - C'mere
13. Bjork - Bachelorette
14. Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
15. Wilco - Jesus, Etc.
16. Ryan Adams - Wonderwall (Oasis cover)
17. My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday
18. Antony and the Johnsons - Man is the Baby
19. Beck - Lost Cause
20. Super Furry Animals - Tradewinds
21. Cerberus Shoal - Breakaway Terminal Cable
22. The Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
23. Cafe Tacuba - Encantamiento Inutil
24. Fobia - Sembrando Estrellas
25. Castanets - Three Days, Four Nights
26. Devendra Banhart - Quetate Luna
27. Iron & Wine - Cinder and Smoke
28. Mono - L'America
29. Deftones - Change
30. The One AM Radio - Shivers
31. Pelican - Sirius
32. Xiu Xiu - Sad Pony Guerrilla Girl
33. Patrick Wolf - A Boy Like Me
34. Sonic Youth - Unmade Bed
35. Travis - Pipe Dreams
36. Yann Tiersen - Comptine D'un Autre Été: L'aprés Midi
37. Royksopp - Poor Leno
38. Flaming Lips - Waiting for a Superman
39. Mogwai - Moses? I Amn't
40. Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Maps
41. American Music Club - Love Is
42. The Shins - Pink Bullets
43. Kings of Convenience - Misread
44. Queen - Show Must Go On
45. Madonna - Frozen
46. Dntel - Why I'm so Unhappy
47. Muse - Thoughts of a Dying Atheist
48. My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes
49. Calexico - Minas de Cobre
50. M83 - Unrecorded

one more: Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

I tried list just a song for each band

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom