Zero 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Zero 7

Random news: I was in a music store today and asked the guy who was working where Massive Attack would be filed under. He helped me find where they were, but unfortunately they didn't have any of their CDs. They did, however, have some things by a band called Zero 7, who he said I might like if I was into Massive Attack.

Well, since the guy was cute and I had a little room on the old Visa card, I picked up a Zero 7 CD called Simple Things. I'm listening to it now, and it's pretty cool. Anyone have any insight on this group? All I know about them is that they sound like a slightly more upbeat Massive Attack, and that I think they're British.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

bumpity bump

Old 06-13-2002, 12:47 AM   #3
Kid A

Local Time: 05:16 PM
here's a little something from cdnow.com:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver...ID=tn_srch_txt

(that gives you the history of their album releases)

The fourth release in the spectacular Another Late Night series comes courtesy of Zero 7, the hot chillout band of the year. As is the case with the other releases in the series, the prescription is part hip-hop and a dash of soul, with a squirt of experimental rock.

The opening of the mix is heavy on the hip-hop; Quasimoto, Roots Manuva, and Slum Village are all dropped. With more emphasis on the beats then the vocals (Roots Manuva's "Witness" is served up in dub form, dropping almost all of the vocals) the late-night vibe is set. The hard-to-classify and oh-so-laid-back sound of Cinematic Orchestra's lovely "Channel 1 Suite" is a perfect fit, and, in keeping with the eclecticism for which the Late Night series is known, Zero 7 mixes Jim O'Rourke's gentle song, "Ghost Ship in a Storm," into the early '90s chilled hip-hop anthem "93 Til Infinity" by Oakland's Souls of Mischief.

The mix loses cohesion in the beginning of the second half via the inclusion of uptempo house and bossa nova tracks that mix well together, but seem to conflict with the overall vibe; they would have better been dropped in a straight-up house mix. The down-tempo jazz of Leroy Hutson ("Cool Out") helps bring back the chill vibe, and Zero 7's cover of Johnny Osbourne's "Truth & Rights" is absolutely beautiful (each disc in the series features a reinterpretation of an old classic performed by the mixer).

Bedroom rockers should already own Zero 7's rookie release, Simple Things. They would be wise to include the group's latest foray in their collection.

Kyran Connelly
CDNOW Contributing Writer

btw, have you ever heard of Dirty Vegas?
Old 06-13-2002, 07:38 AM   #4
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

They do that "Days Go By" song, right?

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:02 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Simple Things

I got that cd before, but traded it out, because it was a bit too mellow for me. Pretty good for chilling out though.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:28 PM   #6
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know I have their CD and really like it... not quite as cool as Massive Attack though (I'm looking forward to their new CD so much!). I know they're often referred to as Britain's answer to Air (a pretty cool french band), and they do have a fairly similar sound. I also saw a segment on much music with them one time, they seemed like pretty cool people.. they showed a bit of a clip of a live show... looked cool.

If you like them, also look into Lamb, Air, Mandalay and Portishead
Old 06-13-2002, 05:47 PM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Mezzanine by Massive Attack is an essential CD for anyone who likes to have sex.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:55 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Oh -

I heard a song by these guys quite recently. my girlfriend at the time - now ex, likes them. I was really impressed.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:01 PM   #9
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Mezzanine by Massive Attack is an essential CD for anyone who likes to have sex.
When my girlfriend and I made out to music for the first time, it was to Mezzanine (my choice, i figured it was a good mood setter).

For my birthday this year one of the things she got me was Mezzanine (before I just had a burned copy) totally not remembering it was the make-out CD... and then when i told her, she was like "woah, man, dude, crazy!" That was kinda cool.

So there's my story for today.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:01 PM   #10
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Zero 7 are very cool and yes, its all very much chillout/makeout music.