Zeppelin to receive honourary Grammy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsNation

The Fly
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4147831.stm

It only took 35 years for the world's greatest and perhaps most influential rock band ever (along with U2 of course) to get recognized at the Grammy's. (5 number one albums just wasn't enough...they didn't have any # 1 hit singles) Meanwhile recent polls by both Planet Rock and the BBC rated Stairway to Heaven as the greatest song of all time. (U2's One was #2 on the BBC poll)

Anyways...Congratulations Robert, Jimmy and Jonesy.

Honorary Grammys are hilarious. It's like, "Hey, look how inept we are, we didn't notice Led Fucking Zeppelin was doing some neat things in its day. Don't worry, though, we had our eyes open when Milli Vanilli came along." Bunch of idiots.

typhoon said:
Honorary Grammys are hilarious. It's like, "Hey, look how inept we are, we didn't notice Led Fucking Zeppelin was doing some neat things in its day. Don't worry, though, we had our eyes open when Milli Vanilli came along." Bunch of idiots.

Not forgetting the "sympathy" noms.

typhoon said:

:lmao:

It wasn't just the people at the Grammy's that missed the boat on Led Zep. Critics in the 70s, including those at Rolling Stone, gave horrific reviews for every Zep album. It wasn't until their boxset was released in the late eighties that they took another look at them and realized they had actually been musical geniuses. Rolling Stone and others then redid their reviews, and the first six Zep albums all got four or five out of five stars. Zep's reputation for being bad boys, as well as the fact that they were limited to FM album rock stations, may not have helped.

Even U2, which came more out of the punk thing, loves Zep. In an eighties article in Rolling Stone, I remember they were looking at Zeppelin's influence on current bands, and they interviewd Edge. He acknowledged that they weren't fans of hard rock, but that they were "actitually very big fans of Zeppelin", and that Edge often practised Page riffs in sound checks . A few of their Songs like "Bullet the Blue Sky", "Kiss Me, Kill Me..." and even "Love and Peace or Else" have a Zep feel.

Anyways, enough babbling! U2 and Zep are the greatest bands ever IMO, and each has (had) something special.

good point, leafsNation. Critics really hated this band, and they are absolutely legendary. u2 fans sometimes get mad when critics bash them, well it's nothing compared to what Led went through. u2 have negative reviews, but it's overwhelmingly positive. Led is one of my favorite bands, Page is my favorite guitarist ever along with Edge.

LeafsNation said:

Even U2, which came more out of the punk thing, loves Zep. In an eighties article in Rolling Stone, I remember they were looking at Zeppelin's influence on current bands, and they interviewd Edge. He acknowledged that they weren't fans of hard rock, but that they were "actitually very big fans of Zeppelin", and that Edge often practised Page riffs in sound checks .

When Edge was asked recently in an interview what he thought u2's greatest song they ever made was, he jokingly said "Stairway to Heaven." :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom