Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock

According to Rolling Stone, teens are fuelling a Zeppelin/Floyd/Queen classic rock revival. It's nice to see that these rock legends are still relevant. Zep rules!

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...e_classic_rock

Old 02-13-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

you mean they're actually listening to the music, not just wearing the shirts? like, CBGB's is a brand name!

i'm kidding. my 14 year-old brother's favorite bands/artists are bob dylan and the who. he doesn't like zeppelin, but he likes queen, some pink floyd (just piper at the gates of dawn, because he copied it from me and that's all i've got/like). and ac/dc.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:51 AM
See, that's actually what I was listening to at 14, so I sorta buy it. I bought Led Zeppelin's complete studio recordings for with the money I got for my 16th birthday, around the same time I started listening to Radiohead - so I was sort of headed in all kinds of directions. I still despise seeing Dark Side of the Moon and Highway to Hell shirts at WalMart and JC Penney, though. It just seems wrong.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
I still despise seeing Dark Side of the Moon and Highway to Hell shirts at WalMart and JC Penney, though. It just seems wrong.
So do I. I love it when I see people wearing DSOTM shirts and I ask them if they like the Floyd. The conversation usually goes like this:

ME: I see you have a Pink Floyd shirt on. Are you a fan?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Yeah!

ME: What's your favourite Pink Floyd album?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Dark Side Of The Moon!

ME: Do like any of their other albums, like Animals or Wish You Were Here?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Pink Floyd wrote other albums?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

So do I. I love it when I see people wearing DSOTM shirts and I ask them if they like the Floyd. The conversation usually goes like this:

ME: I see you have a Pink Floyd shirt on. Are you a fan?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Yeah!

ME: What's your favourite Pink Floyd album?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Dark Side Of The Moon!

ME: Do like any of their other albums, like Animals or Wish You Were Here?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Pink Floyd wrote other albums?

Or.. you could just ask what their favorite song from DS is... and wait until they say "BRiCkZ N Da Wall"

x infinity
Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 AM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:51 AM
That's a Korn song, you goof.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
That's a Korn song, you goof.
NOOOO. They did that Word Up song. Gosh.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

When music gets stale and redundant, like now, this is going to happen. It happened back when hair metal was everywhere. Zeppelin had a huge revival. And then Nirvana and Pearl Jam came out, and peace reigned again.

I welcome this news.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:51 AM
I hope this is only restricted to America. The music scene in britain is the best it's been for years. The last thing i want is to have a revival of 5 minute guitar solo's and big hair
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 10:51 AM
This has been happening for years in the States. Every high schooler goes though some kind of "60's - 70's" rock phase. I don't really see this catching on in the UK as radio tends to concentrate primarly on new stuff (which is ok when the new stuff is good but it would be nice to hear more of a mix) and you don't have the glut of "classic rock" stations found in the States.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Frankly I'm not a fan of mindless idiots walking around worshipping Jimmy Page as the best guitar player, thinking AC/CD wrote the best songs ever, and wearing Dark Side o' teh Moon t-shirts.

Classic rock does not need to be revived, it needs to be enjoyed.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I say if you're a fan of a band, why not wear a shirt from them? I got one Zeppelin shirt which I wear one occasion.

In 200 years people will be reviving Floyd and Zeppelin. It's great stuff.

Although I did ask a kid at Subway wearing a Led shirt what his favorite album was, and he couldnt name one
Old 02-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 03:51 AM
For a period of time in high school I am sad to admit that I did sport the Pink FLoyd shirt without really being a fan of their music. Recently though I have really really started liking their entire library.

So what I am really trying to say is "Hello, my name is Berto, and I was a "mindless pig"
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

i would imagine the rise in Q104.3's ratings since 2002 in listeners under 25 would have something to do with the demise of K-Rock and, seeing as most teenagers listen to radio in the afternoon after school is over, the leaving, in 2002, of the wildly popular Opie & Anthony afternoon radio show.

but, alas, there are many teenagers out there who can appreciate all genres of music... who can seemlessley go from kanye west to pink floyd to jimi hendrix to green day to u2.

any rock... ANY ROCK.. will help people look back. so while some may rip acts like avril lavigne for being "fake punk," if the so called fake punk gets a few kids to look back at real punk, is it such a bad thing? if kelly clarkson getting more of a "rock" edge to her americon idol pop image, and that makes her fans look more at other rock music, is that really a bad thing? if a rap song samples a classic rock song, and that leads some teenager into discovering the original song and the original artist, why do we complain so much?

(sidebar... i do not like either avril lavigne or kelly clarkson i'm just making a point )

many "long time" music fans... i put long time in quotes because shit, i'm only 25 a quick run through of profiles of those who have posted in this thread shows that a lot of you are even younger, all falling in the 25 and under age range that this article talks about.. (duh, they're talking about YOU)... like to rip on pop culture, without thinking about the benefits of it. when i was a 12 years old i discovered queen because of "waynes world." sure, i knew we will rock you and we are the champions, but that was it. but now here i was, in middle school, listening to queen, all because of a silly little scene in a cheesy movie.

i'm done now.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Is it me or have Rolling Stone completely missed the boat? Teenagers have been listening to all that stuff for years now! Over here in Britain at least! My friends and I practically had complete Floyd/Zeppelin discographies by the time we were 14 and had ended up moaning about the state of today's music industry like we were old men...! Incredibly worriyng!

Though recently there has been a new wave of people supposedly into that music as well, although I've tried to strike up genuine conversation and chat about some of the music I really enjoy thinking we'll have loads to say but these people wearing 'Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon' or 'Led Zeppelin 1977 USA Tour' shirts can't even name a single song by said bands and just look at me like I'm some sort of weirdo when I start talking about one of their albums...

I guess it just kind of upsets me [and I'm sure it annoys older people even more] that these bands have suddenly turned into a 'trendy' thing to pretend you're in to just to look really cool because you're into "Retro" things. Bollocks.