Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you mean they're actually listening to the music, not just wearing the shirts? like, CBGB's is a brand name!

i'm kidding. my 14 year-old brother's favorite bands/artists are bob dylan and the who. he doesn't like zeppelin, but he likes queen, some pink floyd (just piper at the gates of dawn, because he copied it from me and that's all i've got/like). and ac/dc.

:up:

See, that's actually what I was listening to at 14, so I sorta buy it. I bought Led Zeppelin's complete studio recordings for with the money I got for my 16th birthday, around the same time I started listening to Radiohead - so I was sort of headed in all kinds of directions. I still despise seeing Dark Side of the Moon and Highway to Hell shirts at WalMart and JC Penney, though. It just seems wrong.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I still despise seeing Dark Side of the Moon and Highway to Hell shirts at WalMart and JC Penney, though. It just seems wrong.

So do I. I love it when I see people wearing DSOTM shirts and I ask them if they like the Floyd. The conversation usually goes like this:

ME: I see you have a Pink Floyd shirt on. Are you a fan?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Yeah!

ME: What's your favourite Pink Floyd album?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Dark Side Of The Moon!

ME: Do like any of their other albums, like Animals or Wish You Were Here?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Pink Floyd wrote other albums?

:banghead:

GibsonGirl said:

So do I. I love it when I see people wearing DSOTM shirts and I ask them if they like the Floyd. The conversation usually goes like this:

ME: I see you have a Pink Floyd shirt on. Are you a fan?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Yeah!

ME: What's your favourite Pink Floyd album?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Dark Side Of The Moon!

ME: Do like any of their other albums, like Animals or Wish You Were Here?

MINDLESS SHEEP: Pink Floyd wrote other albums?

:banghead:

Or.. you could just ask what their favorite song from DS is... and wait until they say "BRiCkZ N Da Wall"

:banghead: x infinity

When music gets stale and redundant, like now, this is going to happen. It happened back when hair metal was everywhere. Zeppelin had a huge revival. And then Nirvana and Pearl Jam came out, and peace reigned again.

I welcome this news.

I hope this is only restricted to America. The music scene in britain is the best it's been for years. The last thing i want is to have a revival of 5 minute guitar solo's and big hair :no:

This has been happening for years in the States. Every high schooler goes though some kind of "60's - 70's" rock phase. I don't really see this catching on in the UK as radio tends to concentrate primarly on new stuff (which is ok when the new stuff is good but it would be nice to hear more of a mix) and you don't have the glut of "classic rock" stations found in the States.

Frankly I'm not a fan of mindless idiots walking around worshipping Jimmy Page as the best guitar player, thinking AC/CD wrote the best songs ever, and wearing Dark Side o' teh Moon t-shirts.

Classic rock does not need to be revived, it needs to be enjoyed.

I say if you're a fan of a band, why not wear a shirt from them? I got one Zeppelin shirt which I wear one occasion.

In 200 years people will be reviving Floyd and Zeppelin. It's great stuff.

Although I did ask a kid at Subway wearing a Led shirt what his favorite album was, and he couldnt name one :mad:

For a period of time in high school I am sad to admit that I did sport the Pink FLoyd shirt without really being a fan of their music. Recently though I have really really started liking their entire library.

So what I am really trying to say is "Hello, my name is Berto, and I was a "mindless pig"

i would imagine the rise in Q104.3's ratings since 2002 in listeners under 25 would have something to do with the demise of K-Rock and, seeing as most teenagers listen to radio in the afternoon after school is over, the leaving, in 2002, of the wildly popular Opie & Anthony afternoon radio show.

but, alas, there are many teenagers out there who :shocked: can appreciate all genres of music... who can seemlessley go from kanye west to pink floyd to jimi hendrix to green day to u2.

any rock... ANY ROCK.. will help people look back. so while some may rip acts like avril lavigne for being "fake punk," if the so called fake punk gets a few kids to look back at real punk, is it such a bad thing? if kelly clarkson getting more of a "rock" edge to her americon idol pop image, and that makes her fans look more at other rock music, is that really a bad thing? if a rap song samples a classic rock song, and that leads some teenager into discovering the original song and the original artist, why do we complain so much?

(sidebar... i do not like either avril lavigne or kelly clarkson i'm just making a point :madspit: )

many "long time" music fans... i put long time in quotes because shit, i'm only 25 a quick run through of profiles of those who have posted in this thread shows that a lot of you are even younger, all falling in the 25 and under age range that this article talks about.. (duh, they're talking about YOU)... like to rip on pop culture, without thinking about the benefits of it. when i was a 12 years old i discovered queen because of "waynes world." sure, i knew we will rock you and we are the champions, but that was it. but now here i was, in middle school, listening to queen, all because of a silly little scene in a cheesy movie.

i'm done now.

Is it me or have Rolling Stone completely missed the boat? Teenagers have been listening to all that stuff for years now! Over here in Britain at least! My friends and I practically had complete Floyd/Zeppelin discographies by the time we were 14 and had ended up moaning about the state of today's music industry like we were old men...! Incredibly worriyng!

Though recently there has been a new wave of people supposedly into that music as well, although I've tried to strike up genuine conversation and chat about some of the music I really enjoy thinking we'll have loads to say but these people wearing 'Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon' or 'Led Zeppelin 1977 USA Tour' shirts can't even name a single song by said bands and just look at me like I'm some sort of weirdo when I start talking about one of their albums...

I guess it just kind of upsets me [and I'm sure it annoys older people even more] that these bands have suddenly turned into a 'trendy' thing to pretend you're in to just to look really cool because you're into "Retro" things. Bollocks.

there was a certain point in time at my school, where the girls assumed that Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were a one-man band. :|

in my school, the teens aren't doing a great job of saving.. rather... humiliating..

I am happy to announce that I am a geniune classic rock fan.

And I totally despise anyone anywhere band shirts who cannot name even an album or a band member.

AND FURTHERMORE, the worst offense you can utter to my face is "Who's John Lennon?" when wearing a Yellow Submarine shirt.

there i said it.

I know teens who only like Fallout Boy and stuff like that, but I also know some who honestly like classic rock and are knowledgeable about it, and have a great interest in all the bands and their histories and catalogs.

1stepcloser said:
I hope this is only restricted to America. The music scene in britain is the best it's been for years. The last thing i want is to have a revival of 5 minute guitar solo's and big hair :no:

Agreed. A lot of kids are judging songs by the length of their guitar solos.

That's why Dream Theater are so popular, come to think of it.

I don't think the music scene in Britain is all that fantastic right now, if you ask me. Name one British band that is honestly as good as the old Brit classics like Pink Floyd or Queen. And no, I don't judge those two bands based on their guitar solos or their hair.

Face it, 2000 and onwards has been a very boring musical period in general. Everyone sounds the same as everyone else. There's nothing at all groundbreaking or exciting about any music today, save for the odd Radiohead album here and there.

love_u2_adam said:
i love pink floyd and zeppelin and that old stuff cause its the only good stuff left.....i hate the music we have now!!:mad: ........:rockon:and im 14!!

Name me one Pink Floyd song other than anything you'd find on Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, or Wish You Were Here.

RE: there was a certain point in time at my school, where the girls assumed that Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were a one-man band.

That's OK re: Floyd...as far as I'm concerned, David Gilmour IS Pink Floyd!!!!!

I'm late to Pink Floyd. I think I subconsiously avoided them because my parents loved them (if that makes any sense). They're true artists, and it's worth discovering what's below the surface (i.e. what PF music popular music stations play).

I have to say, however, I'm not a big fan of the "Classic Rock" slogan...sounds a little stale, stuffy, and filled with too many power chord images. "Progressive" is more fitting for many of the greats.

The Floyd's overlooked albums are the best. Dark Side is overplayed and the Wall, other than Comfortably Numb, is barely tolerable.

Other than Wish You Were Here (probably their strongest album), its the group's overlooked albums that are worth hunting out. Namely: Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Division Bell, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Even Atom Heart Mother & the More soundtrack have some interesting stuff.

GibsonGirl said:

Name me one Pink Floyd song other than anything you'd find on Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, or Wish You Were Here.

who cares?

she says she likes pink floyd, she likes pink floyd. it's not like you heard every single pink floyd song as it came out... you were born in 1987. you started somewhere, liked what you heard, and spanned out from there.

why can't someone else do the same thing without being labled a poser?

Hawkfire said:

That's OK re: Floyd...as far as I'm concerned, David Gilmour IS Pink Floyd!!!!!

Interesting. :hmm: If I recall correctly, Roger Waters wrote almost all of the lyrics to Pink Floyd's songs. In fact (I may have made an error - going through album sleeves and online databases is tedious):

Lyrics written entirely by Waters: approximately 80
Lyrics written entirely by Gilmour: approximately 10

Anyway. I agree, Pink Floyd's less-known albums are extremely impressive. Animals, Obscured By Clouds, The Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother, and A Saucerful Of Secrets are fantastic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom