Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't speak for anyone else, but the post-Waters material certainly isn't what made me a Pink Floyd fan (I actually despise 98% of it :wink: ) And when I was 14, the most embarrassing thing I was listening to was ATYCLB.

I'll give her a break, but I'm still not entirely convinced. love_u2_adam, if you're the Pink Floyd fan you say you are and are interested in more than just the hits that everyone who has ever bothered to listen to the radio knows, please go out and purchase Animals / The Final Cut / Obscured By Clouds / Meddle / A Saucerful Of Secrets / Atom Heart Mother / The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. More is...more or less optional. :wink: As is Ummagumma.

GibsonGirl said:

They don't necessarily ruin the music, but they make it bloody annoying for the fans. Today, for example, I saw a girl wearing one of those Doors shirts they sell at the Bluenotes clothing shop. So I asked her if she liked The Doors, and she replied with "I only bought it for the hot guy on it." So I said something like "Jim Morrison fan, then?" And she didn't know who Jim Morrison was. It was painful.

I can certainly understand the outrage when something like this happens. :banghead:

GibsonGirl said:
I don't think the music scene in Britain is all that fantastic right now, if you ask me. Name one British band that is honestly as good as the old Brit classics like Pink Floyd or Queen. And no, I don't judge those two bands based on their guitar solos or their hair.

Face it, 2000 and onwards has been a very boring musical period in general. Everyone sounds the same as everyone else. There's nothing at all groundbreaking or exciting about any music today, save for the odd Radiohead album here and there.

Ah yes where would we be without Radiohead :|

2000-2001 was quite boring i'll give you that, but since then there have been a plethora of new bands and artists that have rejuvenated the music scene. The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Kanye West, Gorillaz, Arctic Monkeys, Mylo, The Futureheads...i could go on.

Also there's older acts like U2, Oasis, Radiohead and the Chilli Peppers still making great music (esp the Chilli Peppers post '99).

Some of the bands i've listed aren't groundbreaking at all, many of them look back to the late 70's, early 80's to get their inspiration. Most of them are influenced by the Beatles in one way or another. But they are exciting i think. They make really exciting music when i listen to them and they blow me away live. Some of us don't need to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody or The Great Gig In The Sky for the 10,000th time. I think music now is as exciting as its ever been. There's a lot more out there right now than 50 Cent and Mariah Carey :madspit:

1stepcloser said:

2000-2001 was quite boring i'll give you that, but since then there have been a plethora of new bands and artists that have rejuvenated the music scene. The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Kanye West, Gorillaz, Arctic Monkeys, Mylo, The Futureheads...i could go on.

I was talking about the British music scene in particular, so The Arcade Fire, The White Stripes, The Strokes, etc. don't apply. And out of the British bands, the only one that even remotely interests me is Bloc Party. I can listen to Franz Ferdinand every now and then, but it's hardly anything new (Eleanor Put Your Boots On must be the biggest nod to the Beatles I've ever seen in the past five years.)

It's subjective, of course, but I think the British scene is worthy of nothing more than a few snores at the moment. And the only North American bands that excite me at all are The Arcade Fire and Wolf Parade.

GibsonGirl said:

I was talking about the British music scene in particular, so The Arcade Fire, The White Stripes, The Strokes, etc. don't apply. And out of the British bands, the only one that even remotely interests me is Bloc Party. I can listen to Franz Ferdinand every now and then, but it's hardly anything new (Eleanor Put Your Boots On must be the biggest nod to the Beatles I've ever seen in the past five years.)

It's subjective, of course, but I think the British scene is worthy of nothing more than a few snores at the moment. And the only North American bands that excite me at all are The Arcade Fire and Wolf Parade.

Agree with this for the most part. Canada has been producing a lot of great stuff in recent years. Anyone like The Constantines?

There's also a UK band that I've heard on internet radio that got my attention called Editors. Their album is due out in the states next month. Can anyone tell me if it's worth checking out or is it just NME hype with no substance?

Well i'm proud of todays music scene anyway :p

Here's some more excellent British bands to add to my list - maximo park, the rakes, Coldplay, Hard-fi

So i don't need to dust off some 30 year-old LPs to get my musical kicks :ohmy: :wink:

we'll have to agree to disagree...

barlowdog said:

Agree with this for the most part. Canada has been producing a lot of great stuff in recent years. Anyone like The Constantines?

There's also a UK band that I've heard on internet radio that got my attention called Editors. Their album is due out in the states next month. Can anyone tell me if it's worth checking out or is it just NME hype with no substance?

good band. saw them about a year ago. Got a Joy Division/Interpol vibe to them. Post-punk with a deep baritone vocal. 'Munich' is a great song, check it out :up:

1stepcloser said:

Here's some more excellent British bands to add to my list - maximo park, the rakes, Coldplay, Hard-fi

Wow, I don't like any of those bands. :(

1stepcloser said:

good band. saw them about a year ago. Got a Joy Division/Interpol vibe to them. Post-punk with a deep baritone vocal. 'Munich' is a great song, check it out :up:

Thanks! Editors album comes out in the US on 3/21. Chances are I'll be picking it up.

1stepcloser said:
Well i'm proud of todays music scene anyway :p

That reminds me- A Certain Trigger. I keep on meaning to buy this album but I've never gotten round to it.

Well, I'm 16 and my favourite bands are U2, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Nirvana and Iron Maiden... :rolleyes: and a portuguese band, Xutos&Pontapés, they've been around for 25 years and they're still making great music, always touring, they're awesome...

anyway...
Lately, and influenced by some of my friends, I'm getting into many old bands.
I've always loved the Beatles, and I've been collecting all their discography.
Pink Floyd... I've got DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall, and I loved all... I'm definitely getting their other albums.
I've had also a Queen 3-CD Platinum Collection for a long time... I have not listened to it in a while

Oh, and I really love Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen. awesome. And yeah, I've heard more than 3/4 songs

GibsonGirl said:

Just the cover alone deserves some drooling. :drool:

I'm wearing a t-shirt with that cover, right now! :drool:

As much as I love Animals, I would say.. start with the classic Dark Side! I've listened to every PF album except More and DSOTM is still my favorite! :heart:

DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall are the three pinnacle albums of Pink Floyd's career, both commercially and artistically. I don't see the problem that those are the three albums love_U2_adam knows so far, especially at her age. That sure is hell is a great place to start.

And if you like those, then yes, branch out and take a listen to some of the others. Meddle is a personal favorite of mine, and unlike others, I do like the post-Waters stuff, specifically The Division Bell. Great album.

I am willing to guess love_u2_adam is under 20. And thats a tough age for a music lover now a days.

Unless you have a pretty hefty cash flow in to your wallet, of course her music interests are going to be greatly decided by what her parents listen to. And thats what she said.

I could honestly care less about people wearing t-shirts of bands they know nothing about. I am not going to befriend someone just because I see a greatful dead t-shirt nor am I going to assume or care about their affilation with the music and level of fandom.

Although I will say its quite easy to tell the "posers" a part from the real deal. Concert shirts are pretty damn different then the vintage crap they put out today (and if its a Greatfull Dead shirt, Pink Floyd Shirt, or Phish Shirt (most common around here), unless there are burn marks around the bottem you can tell its fake :wink: ).

Dont be music snobs. Dont give up on the rest of the worlds ears. If you see someone wearing the shirt and feel the need to press them about it, why not suggest an album. Otherwise you are the same as those horrid folk that hang around at the back of a record store either scoffing at someones taste or pressing the latest "indie" hit upon you.

I own DSOM (well so does everyone), I give it a listen once in a while, recognize the quality and then move on to something that excites me. I would love to see if The Wall, Animals or anything else will peak my interests but believe me Neil Young, Radiohead, and R.E.M are alot higher in the shopping cart.

Let people run at their own speed, wear their shirts to impress thier friends, and listen to the radio.

I will be off listening to what I like and talking about it here.

My friends think I'm insane because I refuse to listen to rap/hip-hop. I won't listen to most music that people my age listen to..:|

circa1992 said:
My friends think I'm insane because I refuse to listen to rap/hip-hop. I won't listen to most music that people my age listen to..:|

Ye same here, I have the shite music taste :wink:

The only radio station I listen to here is the classic rock one, plus the modern rock one on occassion :lol:.

And I have three Zeppelin t shirts :reject:

Any more evidence that Rolling Stone is completely out of touch?

This fucking article could have been written 15 years ago when I was 16.

As far as the later discussion in this thread goes.
When I was a kid I got into new wave, even though I'm wasn't even sure what 'genre' it was at the time, but I loved The Cars, Flock of Seagulls, Adam Ant etc. all that shit was on MTV back when MTV was good. Then when I was a teenager, hair metal and cock rock ruled the airwaves, so I got into Pink Floyd and Zeppelin and all the old farts. Then rock became good again, if not great in the early 90's with bands across several genres, for the most part, only to go shitty again in the late 90's, for the most part with rap/rock and the like.

I think in the last 5 years there have been a lot of new bands and artists come around that are very good and when books about the history of rock are written 50 years from now, this era will probably get pretty good marks as a whole, but what you can guarantee almost like clockwork is that starting slowly this year, into 2007 and last probably to the end of the decade it's going to SUCK ASS.

Enjoy it while you can.

1stepcloser said:
Ah yes where would we be without Radiohead :|

A musical shit hole. They've been gone nearly two years and we've already got overhyped garbage like Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs clogging up the shelves...roll on Summer is all I can say!

I haven't read through the whole thread, but...the article is kind of stating the obvious. Tons and tons of kids wear Zeppelin/Floyd/Marley/Beatles/Hendrix shirts. And not all, but a lot of people who wear them do listen to these bands. They're pretty popular and "cool" to like (U2 on the other hand are often uncool to like, but who cares).

On the topic of a lot of the shit music today...it's not just bad hip-hop or country, you can avoid those. What drives me insane is the "emo" pop-punk music like Fall out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Hawthorne Heights, etc. :banghead: Of course everyone is entitled to their own tastes blah blah, but all my friends listen to it and think they're so superior and that U2 are really shitty. :tsk:

eta- Dark Side of the Moon is the only Floyd album I really listen to, but I don't wear all the shirts or claim to be their biggest fan. :wink:

circa1992 said:

Not all rap/hip-hop is bad. You really shouldn't dismiss entire genres.

Lost for Words is a terrific song off of Division Bell. Who can forget the classic last verse? I don't think they did that one much (if at all) in concert in 1994, at least not the show I saw. I also like Poles Apart and the two instrumentals on that record in addition to the album staples High Hopes and Coming Back to Life. Definitely a high note for Pink Floyd to go out with, and good for Rick Wright to be involved with the songwriting once again for the first time since Wish You Were Here.

Hawkfire said:
Lost for Words is a terrific song off of Division Bell. Who can forget the classic last verse? I don't think they did that one much (if at all) in concert in 1994, at least not the show I saw. I also like Poles Apart and the two instrumentals on that record in addition to the album staples High Hopes and Coming Back to Life. Definitely a high note for Pink Floyd to go out with, and good for Rick Wright to be involved with the songwriting once again for the first time since Wish You Were Here.

I enjoy pretty much every phase of Floyd, but the Water-less days less then the Gilmour-led days.

I'm confused too. :lol: It's just the way he phrased it.

LMP, you like pre 1985 Pink Floyd when Waters was in the band more than post 1985 Pink Floyd, right? If not, I completely misread that. :(

gareth brown said:

A musical shit hole. They've been gone nearly two years and we've already got overhyped garbage like Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs clogging up the shelves...roll on Summer is all I can say!

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom