Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

who cares?

she says she likes pink floyd, she likes pink floyd. it's not like you heard every single pink floyd song as it came out... you were born in 1987. you started somewhere, liked what you heard, and spanned out from there.

why can't someone else do the same thing without being labled a poser?
What can I say, I'm having a shitty day.

P.S. I didn't really have to start out anywhere. My father had practically all of Pink Floyd's albums when I was growing up so I was exposed rather equally to them all.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
I wrote an article on this senior year in the paper (I was entertainment editor).

I'll try to find it. It was pretty well received. GibsonGirl would probably enjoy it quite a bit, as it's about how these t-shirts are ruining the music for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Anyway. I agree, Pink Floyd's less-known albums are extremely impressive. Animals, Obscured By Clouds, The Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother, and A Saucerful Of Secrets are fantastic.
Don't forget Meddle

Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
I wrote an article on this senior year in the paper (I was entertainment editor).

I'll try to find it. It was pretty well received. GibsonGirl would probably enjoy it quite a bit, as it's about how these t-shirts are ruining the music for the rest of us.

Don't forget Meddle
Definitely post it if you find it.

And yeah, Meddle's another classic. Echoes.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:

What can I say, I'm having a shitty day.

*runs away*
Old 02-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
i would imagine the rise in Q104.3's ratings since 2002 in listeners under 25 would have something to do with the demise of K-Rock and, seeing as most teenagers listen to radio in the afternoon after school is over, the leaving, in 2002, of the wildly popular Opie & Anthony afternoon radio show.

but, alas, there are many teenagers out there who can appreciate all genres of music... who can seemlessley go from kanye west to pink floyd to jimi hendrix to green day to u2.

any rock... ANY ROCK.. will help people look back. so while some may rip acts like avril lavigne for being "fake punk," if the so called fake punk gets a few kids to look back at real punk, is it such a bad thing? if kelly clarkson getting more of a "rock" edge to her americon idol pop image, and that makes her fans look more at other rock music, is that really a bad thing? if a rap song samples a classic rock song, and that leads some teenager into discovering the original song and the original artist, why do we complain so much?

(sidebar... i do not like either avril lavigne or kelly clarkson i'm just making a point )

many "long time" music fans... i put long time in quotes because shit, i'm only 25 a quick run through of profiles of those who have posted in this thread shows that a lot of you are even younger, all falling in the 25 and under age range that this article talks about.. (duh, they're talking about YOU)... like to rip on pop culture, without thinking about the benefits of it. when i was a 12 years old i discovered queen because of "waynes world." sure, i knew we will rock you and we are the champions, but that was it. but now here i was, in middle school, listening to queen, all because of a silly little scene in a cheesy movie.

i'm done now.
why hasn't anyone quoted this post and given it a thumbs up? it deserves one

I think it's stupid when people wear t-shirts and know nothing about the band, but at the same time it's not like you have to be a diehard fan to wear a t-shirt... I've got a Who shirt I wear but the only album I have is Live at Leeds. Does that make me not qualified to wear a t-shirt? You shouldn't have to know a band's entire discography to earn the right to wear a shirt. It'd be nice to have general knowledge though. For example, if you're wearing a Nirvana shirt and someone asks you if you're going to go see them in concert, your answer should NOT be "uhhh my mom is gonna buy me some tickets." (Yes, I really did see this conversation take place)
Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:52 PM
where I've grown up Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Doors are just about the only classic rock teens are familiar with , theyve always been pretty trendy....so to me these aren't exactly bands that need saving persay...perhaps the kinks, velvet underground, dylan, phil ochs, springsteen, costello, bowie, waits, simon & garfunkel, u2, television, young, ccr, nick drake etc... should get some more attention
Old 02-14-2006, 11:53 PM   #37
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:52 AM
PF rules, I heard High Hopes on the radio a few days ago and it cut off my breath.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 AM   #38
The Fly

Local Time: 07:52 AM
High Hopes
epic solo at the end of that one, puts shivers in this spine!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:52 AM

Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:

Name me one Pink Floyd song other than anything you'd find on Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, or Wish You Were Here.
Quote:

who cares?

she says she likes pink floyd, she likes pink floyd. it's not like you heard every single pink floyd song as it came out... you were born in 1987. you started somewhere, liked what you heard, and spanned out from there.

why can't someone else do the same thing without being labled a poser?
a very good point! Besides, those three albums are more than enough to get anyone into the Floyd, though people hearing Animals first would be awesome. I myself started with 'A Collection of Great Dance Songs' which I found in the car I was sleeping in one camping trip after opting out of sharing a tent with my family, put it on hooked from the start!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

...it's about how these t-shirts are ruining the music for the rest of us.

hmm. ok. I'd like to read that article, 'cause I'm still trying to figure out how t-shirts ruin music.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

My apologies. She just didn't strike me as the sort of person who would be able to appreciate the finer intricacies of Pink Floyd's music. After all, there aren't many members of the band - past or present - who could be considered "sexie."

AOD.

And Soldatti, High Hopes is a great song. Have you seen the video? It's great stuff.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

hmm. ok. I'd like to read that article, 'cause I'm still trying to figure out how t-shirts ruin music.
They don't necessarily ruin the music, but they make it bloody annoying for the fans. Today, for example, I saw a girl wearing one of those Doors shirts they sell at the Bluenotes clothing shop. So I asked her if she liked The Doors, and she replied with "I only bought it for the hot guy on it." So I said something like "Jim Morrison fan, then?" And she didn't know who Jim Morrison was. It was painful.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

School of Rock! brilliant movie.

The Velvet Underground Television

Quote:
They don't necessarily ruin the music, but they make it bloody annoying for the fans. Today, for example, I saw a girl wearing one of those Doors shirts they sell at the Bluenotes clothing shop. So I asked her if she liked The Doors, and she replied with "I only bought it for the hot guy on it." So I said something like "Jim Morrison fan, then?" And she didn't know who Jim Morrison was. It was painful.
That is quite sad. If you're wearing a band shirt, you ought to at least know ONE name. It is rather irritating when people buy shirts just to be trendy but don't even listen to the music.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #45
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:

My apologies. She just didn't strike me as the sort of person who would be able to appreciate the finer intricacies of Pink Floyd's music. After all, there aren't many members of the band - past or present - who could be considered "sexie."
Don't apologise. Come on, it's love_u2_adam, cynicism is warranted. As you say, none of the band members could be called "sexie", and Pink Floyd's music isn't exactly hyper-catchy stuff like Vertigo. I bet she thinks Pink Floyd is a person. "Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?"

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog