Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

who cares?

she says she likes pink floyd, she likes pink floyd. it's not like you heard every single pink floyd song as it came out... you were born in 1987. you started somewhere, liked what you heard, and spanned out from there.

why can't someone else do the same thing without being labled a poser?

What can I say, I'm having a shitty day. :wave:

P.S. I didn't really have to start out anywhere. My father had practically all of Pink Floyd's albums when I was growing up so I was exposed rather equally to them all.

Last edited:
I wrote an article on this senior year in the paper (I was entertainment editor).

I'll try to find it. It was pretty well received. GibsonGirl would probably enjoy it quite a bit, as it's about how these t-shirts are ruining the music for the rest of us.

GibsonGirl said:

Anyway. I agree, Pink Floyd's less-known albums are extremely impressive. Animals, Obscured By Clouds, The Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother, and A Saucerful Of Secrets are fantastic.

Don't forget Meddle :drool:

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
I wrote an article on this senior year in the paper (I was entertainment editor).

I'll try to find it. It was pretty well received. GibsonGirl would probably enjoy it quite a bit, as it's about how these t-shirts are ruining the music for the rest of us.

Don't forget Meddle :drool:

Definitely post it if you find it. :up:

And yeah, Meddle's another classic. Echoes. :drool:

i would imagine the rise in Q104.3's ratings since 2002 in listeners under 25 would have something to do with the demise of K-Rock and, seeing as most teenagers listen to radio in the afternoon after school is over, the leaving, in 2002, of the wildly popular Opie & Anthony afternoon radio show.

but, alas, there are many teenagers out there who :shocked: can appreciate all genres of music... who can seemlessley go from kanye west to pink floyd to jimi hendrix to green day to u2.

any rock... ANY ROCK.. will help people look back. so while some may rip acts like avril lavigne for being "fake punk," if the so called fake punk gets a few kids to look back at real punk, is it such a bad thing? if kelly clarkson getting more of a "rock" edge to her americon idol pop image, and that makes her fans look more at other rock music, is that really a bad thing? if a rap song samples a classic rock song, and that leads some teenager into discovering the original song and the original artist, why do we complain so much?

(sidebar... i do not like either avril lavigne or kelly clarkson i'm just making a point :madspit: )

many "long time" music fans... i put long time in quotes because shit, i'm only 25 a quick run through of profiles of those who have posted in this thread shows that a lot of you are even younger, all falling in the 25 and under age range that this article talks about.. (duh, they're talking about YOU)... like to rip on pop culture, without thinking about the benefits of it. when i was a 12 years old i discovered queen because of "waynes world." sure, i knew we will rock you and we are the champions, but that was it. but now here i was, in middle school, listening to queen, all because of a silly little scene in a cheesy movie.

i'm done now.

why hasn't anyone quoted this post and given it a thumbs up? it deserves one :up:

I think it's stupid when people wear t-shirts and know nothing about the band, but at the same time it's not like you have to be a diehard fan to wear a t-shirt... I've got a Who shirt I wear but the only album I have is Live at Leeds. Does that make me not qualified to wear a t-shirt? You shouldn't have to know a band's entire discography to earn the right to wear a shirt. It'd be nice to have general knowledge though. For example, if you're wearing a Nirvana shirt and someone asks you if you're going to go see them in concert, your answer should NOT be "uhhh my mom is gonna buy me some tickets." (Yes, I really did see this conversation take place)

where I've grown up Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Doors are just about the only classic rock teens are familiar with , theyve always been pretty trendy....so to me these aren't exactly bands that need saving persay...perhaps the kinks, velvet underground, dylan, phil ochs, springsteen, costello, bowie, waits, simon & garfunkel, u2, television, young, ccr, nick drake etc... should get some more attention
:whistle:

school_of_rock.jpg

blackboardOrig.png

School_of_Rock_01.jpg

GibsonGirl said:

Name me one Pink Floyd song other than anything you'd find on Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, or Wish You Were Here.

who cares?

she says she likes pink floyd, she likes pink floyd. it's not like you heard every single pink floyd song as it came out... you were born in 1987. you started somewhere, liked what you heard, and spanned out from there.

why can't someone else do the same thing without being labled a poser?

a very good point! Besides, those three albums are more than enough to get anyone into the Floyd, though people hearing Animals first would be awesome. I myself started with 'A Collection of Great Dance Songs' which I found in the car I was sleeping in one camping trip after opting out of sharing a tent with my family, put it on hooked from the start!

inmyplace13 said:

...it's about how these t-shirts are ruining the music for the rest of us.

hmm. ok. I'd like to read that article, 'cause I'm still trying to figure out how t-shirts ruin music. :hmm:

:shrug:

My apologies. She just didn't strike me as the sort of person who would be able to appreciate the finer intricacies of Pink Floyd's music. After all, there aren't many members of the band - past or present - who could be considered "sexie."

AOD. :hug:

And Soldatti, High Hopes is a great song. :yes: Have you seen the video? It's great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv9qp1CrwdI&search=high hopes pink floyd

(It takes a while to load)

indra said:

hmm. ok. I'd like to read that article, 'cause I'm still trying to figure out how t-shirts ruin music. :hmm:

They don't necessarily ruin the music, but they make it bloody annoying for the fans. Today, for example, I saw a girl wearing one of those Doors shirts they sell at the Bluenotes clothing shop. So I asked her if she liked The Doors, and she replied with "I only bought it for the hot guy on it." So I said something like "Jim Morrison fan, then?" And she didn't know who Jim Morrison was. It was painful.

Lila64 said:

School of Rock! :heart: brilliant movie.

The Velvet Underground :drool: Television :drool:

Originally posted by GibsonGirl
They don't necessarily ruin the music, but they make it bloody annoying for the fans. Today, for example, I saw a girl wearing one of those Doors shirts they sell at the Bluenotes clothing shop. So I asked her if she liked The Doors, and she replied with "I only bought it for the hot guy on it." So I said something like "Jim Morrison fan, then?" And she didn't know who Jim Morrison was. It was painful.

That is quite sad. If you're wearing a band shirt, you ought to at least know ONE name. It is rather irritating when people buy shirts just to be trendy but don't even listen to the music.

GibsonGirl said:
:shrug:

My apologies. She just didn't strike me as the sort of person who would be able to appreciate the finer intricacies of Pink Floyd's music. After all, there aren't many members of the band - past or present - who could be considered "sexie."

Don't apologise. Come on, it's love_u2_adam, cynicism is warranted. As you say, none of the band members could be called "sexie", and Pink Floyd's music isn't exactly hyper-catchy stuff like Vertigo. I bet she thinks Pink Floyd is a person. "Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?"

Here's some more Pink Floyd stuff, if anyone is interested.

Some great official stuff is found here: http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/main.php?flash=missing&quicktime=present Just dig for the "video" option after clicking the song titles. If you click "more video" after viewing a clip, you'll get directed to some cool promo stuff, as well.

Also, I found this last weekend. Click "more video from this user" to get even more goodies, like the Live 8 rehearsal. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4488671888968650349

Axver said:

Don't apologise. Come on, it's love_u2_adam, cynicism is warranted. As you say, none of the band members could be called "sexie", and Pink Floyd's music isn't exactly hyper-catchy stuff like Vertigo. I bet she thinks Pink Floyd is a person. "Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?"

ummmm ok ....my personality is being hit and im not even here to defend myself....ok i do know alot about pink floyd....my dad has alot of the albums...and some songs i know are:
-young lust
-ridin' the gravy train
-us and them
-money(i can play it on bass)
-brain damage
-comfortably numb
-goodbye blue sky

If anyone comments on the title 'Ridin' the Gravy Train' they are just nit-picking, you hear? :madwife:

I'm not going to say I'm a fan of classic rock bands, because well I amn't, I wouldn't wear a Floyd/Who/Zeppelin shirt because I have barely heard any songs by these bands

And if you look at my favourite 5 bands and artists (U2,Aslan,Thin Lizzy,Gary Moore and Oasis), Thin Lizzy are the only band who are not still making music

Ok I do listen to Pink Floyd, I have posters up in my bed room, I listen to them for hours, and you all don't have the right to say what I listen to, what bands I like and dislike...I said I listen to them.....I'm not their biggest fan but I do like the music...and I know the Roger Waters is a great bass player!!

Last edited:
Axver said:

No need to be so rude.

Axver said:

Hey no need to talk about her like that, maybe you should get to know her, and maybe then you wouldn't be saying stuff like that

love_u2_adam said:

ummmm ok ....my personality is being hit and im not even here to defend myself....ok i do know alot about pink floyd....my dad has alot of the albums...and some songs i know are:
-young lust
-ridin' the gravy train
-us and them
-money(i can play it on bass)
-brain damage
-comfortably numb
-goodbye blue sky

Again, I'm sorry. I don't mean to judge. But you kind of did prove my point... All of those songs (correction to the second one, it's Have A Cigar, not Ridin' The Gravy Train) come from Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall! Nothing from Obscured By Clouds? Animals? There are songs on those two albums that most Floyd fans would rank higher than something like Young Lust ( :yuck: ).

Yeah, and I'd kind of debate Roger Waters' ability as a bassist. He was a master of words, themes, vocals and sounds, but he certainly wasn't a great bass player. That said, his playing is a thousand times more interesting than Adam Clayton's.

I'm actully ashamed that I haven't really heard many Pink Floyd albums :reject:

I know they are a great band but unfortunatley the songs I've heard so far haven't really made me jump up and get all their albums...

I guess I just haven't heard the right album yet to really kick off my interest in them.

Any suggestions of albums which could help me?

Phoenix675 said:
I'm actully ashamed that I haven't really heard many Pink Floyd albums :reject:

I know they are a great band but unfortunatley the songs I've heard so far haven't really made me jump up and get all their albums...

I guess I just haven't heard the right album yet to really kick off my interest in them.

Any suggestions of albums which could help me?

Animals! Animals! Animals! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Every song on that album is great. Don't be put off by the song lengths (Dogs, for instance, is 17:08). It's just perfection. I personally rank it a hell of a lot higher than The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon. Wish You Were Here and Obscured By Clouds are also good for getting people hooked. The latter features some of the nicest singing David Gilmour ever did.

P.S. Here's the album cover for Animals:

Pink_Floyd_-_Animals-front.jpg

Just the cover alone deserves some drooling. :drool:

Last edited:
Sicy said:

Oh but that's what he does best!!

:down:

I wasn't exactly a saint myself, don't pin it all on him. I'd like to forget all of this now because I can be a real bitch when I'm in a bad mood. Sorry for stirring the pot. :(

GibsonGirl said:

I wasn't exactly a saint myself, don't pin it all on him.

Yes, but at least you apologized...and then he has to post a rude item telling you to not apologize.

I know love_u2_adam doesn't need anyone to defend her, but I can't believe what I'm hearing from some of you. Picking on a 14 year old girl for her listening habits; you all should be ashamed. Think about what you were listening to when you were her age. I'm sure the majority of you were listening to stuff you won't even own up to now. I don't think there's a whole lot of 14 year olds who can name every obscure Pink Floyd album. I'll bet the lot of you got into Pink Floyd post Roger Waters and the song that did it was Learning to Fly. Lame!! And if you didn't outgrow Led Zep by the time you were 19, then you might be perpetually stuck in adolescence.
Anyway, all I'm saying is give the kid a break. She sounds pretty cool to me. Then again, maybe you're all just having fun with this......and I'm way off base. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom