Ytterby, Sweden Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Cause I knwo we daily thank those before us who thought of slicing bread.

Nope. Should probably get the boots and add that kind of data to the site.

I like how he talks about the glorious land of the long white cloud in NZ, but for the Adelaide concert I think he just sang about getting an ice cream at Glenelg.

Adelaide: A Place To Get Ice Creams (At Glenelg)

Not as confused as the residents of Hartford would be!

They probably had no goddamn idea what Bono was singing! CLASSIC.

Oh man, I'm enjoying going through the Songs By Artist page and seeing what silly stuff there is. Bono's snippeted Cliff Richard four times! :lol:

I like how he talks about the glorious land of the long white cloud in NZ, but for the Adelaide concert I think he just sang about getting an ice cream at Glenelg.

Adelaide: A Place To Get Ice Creams (At Glenelg)

:lmao:

He'd even seemed to learn some Maori! I remember one line mentioned "aroha", Maori for love. I don't think the Aussie ones were entirely planned, but he'd rehearsed the Kiwi one. Those two gigs seemed to mean a fair bit to Bono.

He'd even seemed to learn some Maori! I remember one line mentioned "aroha", Maori for love. I don't think the Aussie ones were entirely planned, but he'd rehearsed the Kiwi one. Those two gigs seemed to mean a fair bit to Bono.

After shunning NZ for what, 13 years, I should bloody well hope so.

The Melb one was all Port Philip and Peter Garrett and Fitzroy.

Hey, that's cool. I would have liked to have seen him speaking an Aboriginal language, since he's mad for linguistics, but I suppose the amount of them would have been too overwhelming, not to mention finding good resources for area specific ones can difficult if you're just passing through (although Bono probably has this language dictionary vending machine at his house). Also, it could have been rather patronising. I suppose the yirdaki made up for it.

Hey, that's cool. I would have liked to have seen him speaking an Aboriginal language, since he's mad for linguistics, but I suppose the amount of them would have been too overwhelming, not to mention finding good resources for area specific ones can difficult if you're just passing through (although Bono probably has this language dictionary vending machine at his house). Also, it could have been rather patronising. I suppose the yirdaki made up for it.

A language dictionary vending machine? :lmao: I want one of those.

And yeah, it would have been pretty cool if he could've done something, but certainly he would've had to go to some planning to get it right. I suppose the Aussie shows got the Aboriginal nod from Moriarty on the didgeridoo during Kite anyhow.

The science nerd in me approves of this location :up: This is where the element Ytterbium was found for the first time!

Ali and I discovered it a few days ago when I was trying to find the most metal-sounding metal to be the title of my next Desert Island game entry. I told her she simply had to take us to Ytterby sometime.

btw did ya'll see they renamed pittsburgh sixburgh this year in honor of the steelers' 6th win? can we go to the same place twice if it has a new name?

Ali and I discovered it a few days ago when I was trying to find the most metal-sounding metal to be the title of my next Desert Island game entry. I told her she simply had to take us to Ytterby sometime.

:hmm: So how does this sound metal-ish?

In a big country dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice fires the mountainside
Stay alive

:shifty:

:SWOON:

A language dictionary vending machine? :lmao: I want one of those.

And yeah, it would have been pretty cool if he could've done something, but certainly he would've had to go to some planning to get it right. I suppose the Aussie shows got the Aboriginal nod from Moriarty on the didgeridoo during Kite anyhow.

Me too! Shit, they better have one on Yobbos Coming Up With Invention Things next time I turn on ABC.

Yeah, I kind of imagine Aboriginal languages are typically harder to speak than Maori (not that I've had much experience, but just comparing Maori with some local language groups I'd probably have a lot of trouble with names of things if I didn't grow up here). Speaking of which, I'd love to learn Maori. I'm more attracted to lesser spoken native languages that have been unfortunately deteriorated by invading forces than the big ones, I guess.

I said 'yirdaki' in place of didgeridoo - forgive me, that was rather PC. Didgeridoo just sort of bothers me though, since it supposedly doesn't come from an Aboriginal language and the meaning was actually originally a criticism of its sound (it is an "infernal didgery"). I'm not sure, I don't really care but I prefer saying the Yolngu yirdaki nowadays, maybe just to sound like a stupid wisearse.

:hmm: So how does this sound metal-ish?

Oh, I think we decided the most metal name for a metal is Tungsten. I also like Scandium.

But we just thought Ytterby would be a great nerdy Superthread location.

By the way, I love the Pittsburgh Penguins logo.

205px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo.svg.png

Oh, I think we decided the most metal name for a metal is Tungsten. I also like Scandium.

But we just thought Ytterby would be a great nerdy Superthread location.

Want me to nerd it up for ya? I can name you all the transition metals except for the Lantanides and Actinides.

:wink:

And Tungsten is a stupid and weird name. Ever wondered why it has a W for symbol? Because its name is Wolfraam! Not Tungsten. Otherwise it woulda been T or Tu.:tsk:

Me too! Shit, they better have one on Yobbos Coming Up With Invention Things next time I turn on ABC.

Yeah, I kind of imagine Aboriginal languages are typically harder to speak than Maori (not that I've had much experience, but just comparing Maori with some local language groups I'd probably have a lot of trouble with names of things if I didn't grow up here). Speaking of which, I'd love to learn Maori. I'm more attracted to lesser spoken native languages that have been unfortunately deteriorated by invading forces than the big ones, I guess.

I said 'yirdaki' in place of didgeridoo - forgive me, that was rather PC. Didgeridoo just sort of bothers me though, since it supposedly doesn't come from an Aboriginal language and the meaning was actually originally a criticism of its sound (it is an "infernal didgery"). I'm not sure, I don't really care but I prefer saying the Yolngu yirdaki nowadays, maybe just to sound like a stupid wisearse.

Hahaha, they totally need to rename The New Inventers to that.

Maori is stunningly phonetic. There's wh = f, sure, but beyond that? Perfectly phonetic, I suppose because they had no written alphabet until the Brits introduced one. It's an awesome language too, I'd like to become fluent in it.

Oh, I had no idea about the origins of the word. But then it seems so many of these things with ostensibly Aboriginal names are really shrouded in myth.

I thought that was pretty cool. I wonder how non-Steelers fans in Pittsburgh thught of it... extra pain?
i dunno, ican't imagine anyone who identifies as a pittsburghian wouldn't be a steelers fan. it's not like ny or whatever wher eyou've got a lot of people from all over the place with their own allegiances. but i could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom