Your Top Seven David Bowie Songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just an artist I'm really starting to get into now, real favourite of mine. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought as well, and try to elaborate a bit so this doesn't just become one of those lame list threads...

1. Space Oddity
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Starman
4. "Heroes"
5. John, I'm Only Dancing
6. Rebel, Rebel
7. Oh! You Pretty Things

I really love Space Oddity. The lyrics are fantastic, the whole song is to die for. :drool:

1. Life On Mars?
2. Teenage Wildlife
3. Sound And Vision
4. Heroes
5. Oh! You Pretty Things
6. Up The Hill Backwards
7. Subterraneans

1. Station to Station
2. Rock n Roll Suicide
3. Cracked Actor
4. Slow Burn
5. Memory of a Free Festival
6. Scary Monsters
7. I'm Afraid of Americans

Mojo had a great 60th Birthday special on Bowie, with a cute foreword by Kate Bush.

Station to Station is my favourite overall album, almost just for the title track...let the Thin White Duke roll on....:cool:

Oh my God, don't make me choose.

I'm not claiming these to be in order necessarily, but I'll just list seven of my favorites (not counting "Under Pressure" because that would just make this whole process that much harder :wink:).

1. Station to Station

OH MY GOD. Ten minutes and twelve seconds of perfection. Once the song kicks into high gear at around 5 minutes in, it's just unstoppable. "IT'S NOT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE COCAINE, I'M THINKING THAT IT MUST BE LOVE"

:drool: x infinity

2. "Heroes"

One of the best love songs, ever. Seriously. Despite some questionable lyrics on the full version ("Cause we're lovers, and that is a fact/'Cause we're lovers, and that is that"), it's almost impossible to match this song's raw emotion and power. Oh God. It's so good.

3. Space Oddity

The single that started it all. Such a great song, with cool spaceman imagery in the lyrics. Classic.

4. Changes

Turnnnn and faceee the strangeee

5. Sound and Vision

Awesomely great and innovative song that is as cool as it is tuneful.

6. Golden Years

What a fantastic single. It's got everything, even FINGERSNAPS.

7. Modern Love

A definite contender for his best post-70's song. So catchy and great it just kills me sometimes.

Others that are strong contenders:

The Man Who Sold The World
Ashes to Ashes
Fashion
The Heart's Filthy Lesson
Strangers When We Meet
Thru These Architect's Eyes
Scary Monsters
And a whole bunch of other ones

The guy's a GOD. :yes:

1. Sound And Vision
2. Ashes To Ashes
3. Heroes
4. Jump They Say
5. Boys Keep Swinging
6. Let's Dance
7. The Man Who Sold The World

fuck it...

8. China Girl
9. Fashion
10. Slow Burn (tie)
10. Space Oddity (tie)

Last edited:
I just bought Ziggy Stardust today for $10 bucks... stay tuned to hear what my thoughts. I've gotta go clean my room, I'll probably hit back later tnoight.

1. Drive In Saturday: Statley soul ballad. Bowie's vocal is perfect, and the song leans heavily on a R&B groove for the verse, before the chorus lifts the whole thing up. Love it. Love it. Love it.

2. Sweet Head: Rollicking glam stomper. Overtly sexual in nature. Subtle does not apply. "While you're down there..."

3. Sound & Vision: Champagne pops and that bass and guitar play. A grooving little pop tune. So care free. It just move along lifting you up, and next thing you know, it's done... "waiting for the gift of sound and vision."

4. Moonage Daydream: a dream from outer space announced by the greatest guitar riff ever. Highly sexual. Folky space rock, the Mick takes over the outro. Liftoff.

5. Slow Burn: Mid paced rocker. Bowie goes into high drama for the chorus. All the classic traits are there. Horns. Acoustic guitars. But sexual tones are replaced with worldly confusion. That voice. Only this time it's Pete Townsend playing the electric guitar. He plays like God. "There's fear overhead, there's fear on the ground... SLOW BURRRRRRRRNNNNNNNN"

6. Five Years: Haunting. A slow build of a tune with a lyrical crescendo to break heart "Your face, your race, the way that you talk, I miss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk." Fucking devastating.

7. Heroes: inspiration for the ages. :rockon:

I don't think I can do it in order, but here's my favorite seven:

Life On Mars?
Hang On To Yourself
Rebel Rebel
Sound And Vision
Golden Years
Heroes
Stay

1. Stationtostation
2. Heroes
3. Quicksand
4. Cygnet Committee
5. Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing
6. Moonage Daydream
7. The Width Of A Circle

Of course 7 is nowhere near enough to do justice the the brilliance of the man, you could go for 7 from each album, others I'd include are,
Absolute Beginners
Time
Lady Grinning Soul
All The Madmen
Janine
Space Oddity
Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud
Sell Me A Coat
Little Bombardier
There Is A Happy Land
Silly Boy Blue
Memory Of A Free Festival 1&2
After All
Ziggy Stardust
Hang Onto Yourself
Lady Stardust
Star
The list is endless,Christ, just go & get all the albums, you won't be disappointed!

1. Young Americans - This song's chorus has some cathartic effect on me, I feel better after hearing it. I see I am the only one to include this in their top 7. Oh well, to each their own.

2. Rock N' Roll Suicide - Like it was mentioned about Five Years, this tune has a vocal crescendo at the end that is incredibly powerful.

3. Life on Mars? - This strikes me as Bowie's best musical composition. Not lyrics or emotion, but pure songcraft.

4. Starman - I love how the intro sounds out of tune and wandering, then that drum roll locks the song right into place.

5. Heroes - I hadn't heard the original 6 minute album version until recently, and I was blown away.

6. Slow Burn - Had no idea that was Townshend, but the track rocks. I always listen to this and "Something in the Air" together.

7. Ziggy Stardust - Perfect riff, excellent interplay between the guitars and vocals.

OMG I love Bowie!!!:drool: My list is in no particular order because I have so many favorites...

Life on Mars?---This song is AMAZING!!!

Ziggy Stardust--- from the moment I started listening to Bowie I couldn't get enough of this song.

Space Oddity--- need I say more?

Cracked Actor---LOVE IT!

Heroes--- "We could be Heroes!"

Diamond Dogs--- So catchy! This song has a way of just putting a smile on my face.

Five Years--- So good!

At the moment:

1. Moonage Daydream
2. Heroes
3. Be My Wife
4. Kooks
5. Hang On To Yourself
6. Life on Mars
7. Stationtostation

All change today,

1. How in Gods name I left this gem out yesterday, Always crashing in the same car.
2. Strangers when we meet
3. Teenage wildlife
4. It's no game pt. 1
5. Julie
6. Wild is the wind
7. Seven.

Not really from his best, or most creative period, Underground was OK but the rest of that LP really isn't worthy of his name.

1. "Heroes"
2. Life on Mars?
3. Starman
4. Queen Bitch
5. Changes
6. Five Years
7. Panic in Detroit

I'll just name one because everyone else has named so many of the best. But I think only one other person named

Sweet Thing

and the reason it's in my top 7 is because of his vocals. It gives me goosebumps.

Back
Top Bottom