Your Top 5 Bootlegs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Ok, I did this for U2 in another part of the forum, but now I want to hear everyone's favorite bootleg recordings.

Artist - Tour Name - Year - Title of Bootleg - Sound Quality (board, audience, etc) - Personal Comments

Just give me your top 5.

No official releases please.

I don't have a big list, because I don't really like bootlegs (too Phish-ish, usually unnecessary) but I do enjoy the last Crowded House show. Nice banter, the music's fantastic as usual and it's well recorded. I think I've lost it though, oh well.

Oh and that Radiohead Earl's Court thingy from the last tour. Yeah, that one.

Although I've not heard the complete thing, the Belle & Sebastian Bowlie Weekend is great as well.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Oh and that Radiohead Earl's Court thingy from the last tour. Yeah, that one.

Yeah, the Radiohead Earl's court show, November 27, 2003. Excellent bootleg!

Dalton said:
No official releases please.

damn, there was me about to list 'Pulse', 'Live at Leeds' and 'The Song Remains the Same' as bootlegs..

it's already been mentioned above but Radiohead's 26/11/03 and 27/11/03 Earl's Court Shows are definitely worth mentions. The former has a superb performance of 'The National Anthem' [among the best!] and 'The Gloaming' whereas the latter has the greatest ever performance of 'How to Disappear Completely' and a great 'Follow Me Around'.

early DEVO bootlegs are fantastic as well! I have no dates but i'll try and find out what they are, the shows are amazing! :up:

I only collect DVDs. In no particular order:

Led Zeppelin - 1975 - Heavy Metal Kids Earl's Court 24/05/75 - TV broadcast - superb quality boot of the best era of Zeppelin, HoH, IV and III behind them before, in my opinion, they started to slip.

Muse - Absolution - 2004 - Glastonbury '04 - Satelite feed - best quality of any boot I've seen, but a show that deserves to be the 'making of' this excellent live band.

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief - 2003 - Glastonbury '03 - TV broadcasts - Best Radiohead show around except possibly Glastonbury '97. This finally made me see what was great about Radiohead and increased, no end, my tolerance of their newer material. Aside from the classics, and the crowd's response to them, there are the best versions of Where I End..., 2+2=5, Go To Sleep and There There I've seen.

U2 - PopMart - 1998 - Santiago 11/02/98 - TV broadcast - Seems to be one of the most emotional shows I've encountered. The second disc is especially powerful, with the climax that you all know anyway.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible - 1994 - Live at The Astoria - Audience - This one may be just for sentimental reasons, but it is Richey Edwards' penultimate gig, and the best quality of the three night stand at the London Astoria, and emcompasses all that was great about the pre-threesome Manics.
(PS: If anyone has this and wants to trade, my copy is broken so I'm looking for another)

Hmm, tough question. I only collect audio really so I will leave off DVDs. (what good is a video without great quality audio anyway :shrug: ) I will leave off U2 because there are just to many to mention and I think most of us here are familiar with most of the U2 stuff. In no particular order:

*Collective Soul - 7-4-99 Milwaukee, WI.
Great 4th of July performance, radio broadcast, outstanding quality. Plus they do a hard rock cover of I Will Follow.

*Prince - 3-30-85 Syracuse NY.
Purple Rain tour, thats all you need to say. Radio broadcast, great quality, fantastic show.

*Van Halen - 12-20-77 Pasadena CA.
Great early performance with Roth on vocals. Probably the best quality boot from the Roth era. Soundboard.

*The Rolling Stones - 2-14-95 Tokyo, Japan
This is probably my favorite Stones tour. Great setlist, perfect quality broadcast.

*Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band - 5-10-88 Bloomington MN
Tunnel Of Love is my favorite Bruce album and this is probably the best quality complete recording of that tour that I'm aware of anyway. There is a partial broadcast of the same tour from Stockholm that is better quality. But this aud. recording is really good and complete so I prefer it.

Honorable Mentions:

*Bryan Adams (yes, Bryan Adams! :lol:) 7-27-96 London England, outstanding performance, you can just tell it was a great show and crowd even if you dont like Bryan its worth a listen. Radio Broadcast
* The Cult 11-27-91 London England
Small club fan club show only. Soundboard, complete show, do alot of songs they normally didnt do. Great performance and setlist.
*Simple Minds 2-18-95 Minneapolis, MN
Small show at First Avenue. They were just on it this night and it was captured by a great DAT aud. taper fortunately.

Last edited:
RA-D said:
Muse - Absolution - 2004 - Glastonbury '04 - Satelite feed - best quality of any boot I've seen, but a show that deserves to be the 'making of' this excellent live band.

Fantastic show! I was there and was moved so far back when everyone started jumping up and down but still incredible stuff!

Back
Top Bottom