Your Top 3 albums of the year so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
I wanna know what you guys think have been the top 3 albums of the year so far. Here's mine in no paticular order:

Soul Asylum - The Silver Lining - I've always loved these guys and this is classic Soul Asylum. :cool:

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations - One of the best albums I've heard this decade period. :rockon:

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam - More and more I'm starting to think this could be their best album :ohmy:

Richard Ashcroft - Keys to the World
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors
Gary Moore - Old New Ballads Blues

It's been a pretty bland year, but at this moment, these are the three records at the top of ye olde heape. Frankly, even numbers two and three are exchangeable with a number of other pretty good/really good albums. On the whole, nothing other than The Hold Steady's latest has been legitimately "great," all year. Sad times, these...but it's all good. There're still a few months left, and then we're on to a brand-ass-new year, anyway.

1) The Hold Steady, Boys and Girls in America

2) Asobi Seksu, Citrus

3) Karmella's Game, The Art of Distraction

god I've been so busy spending time/money on releases from previous years, I haven't really gotten much actual new music this year. :der:

I like Stadium Arcadium and Emily Haines' Knives Don't Have Your Back well enough but...:shrug:
Bob Dylan's album sounds awesome but I still only have a few songs.

kind of a weak excuse for a top 3.

anyone really like the new Built to Spill album this year? kind of debating whether to get it...

VertigoGal said:
anyone really like the new Built to Spill album this year? kind of debating whether to get it...

It's pretty okay. Unless you're a die-hard or just aching for an introduction to the band, I don't think it's worth purchasing. Slsk, child.

thanks. I think "there's nothing wrong with love" is so cool but wasn't sure what to get after that. I'll probably go with another older one for my next album from them.

btw, was listening to the stream of that Hold Steady album. First Night is a good song. :up:

As of now...

1. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
2. Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. Eyes Open - Snow Patrol

But just today I got Muse and Thom Yorke! Watch this space, people! :wink:

- Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
- Islands - Return to the Sea
- M. Ward - Post-War

I haven't listened the new Hold Steady :(

Zootlesque said:
As of now...

1. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
2. Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. Eyes Open - Snow Patrol

But just today I got Muse and Thom Yorke! Watch this space, people! :wink:

If I had made the thread Top 4 Eyes Open would be on my list as well

Also I'll predict Muse moves into your top three:wink:

Jack In The Box said:
I haven't listened the new Hold Steady :(

Then you've not yet lived. Also, were you as semi-disappointed by The Air Force as I was? Like, I like it...but I just like it. No more, no less. Thoughts...?

haha, I'll try listen to it tonight

about 'The Air Force'... I'm such a Xiu Xiu sucker (see my avy), what can I say? isn't 'Fabulous Muscles' (my favorite) but I think is actually better than 'La Forêt', it has melody but also disorder and desperate synths, typical Xiu Xiu

I like it a lot, but not in my top 5 of this year

why are you disappointed?

Jack In The Box said:
why are you disappointed?

Semi-disappointed, mind you. Just felt sort of rote, at times. Xiu Xiu's albums typically hover around 7.0-7.5, for me (minus A Promise, which is an easy 7.9 or 8.0...higher if you pretend that "Walnut House" never happened, as it's the only song more horrifying and objectionably bad than was September 11, 2001), but I think that The Air Force is more in the 6.5 or slightly lower range. It's good, but no more than that. Especially after those first three songs, I felt like the rest of the album came across as awfully rehearsed.

It's good, but not too exciting and certainly not too great. Even so, I think that U2 should invite Xiu Xiu along to open, for the next tour (if there ever is one).

Anyway, off-topic. Sorry. At any rate, it depresses me that the new Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers albums are enough to convince people that 2006 was a good year for music. I think it's great if that was enough to sell you, as that means you're enjoying a lot of music a lot more than I am. Even so, Stadium Arcadium was easily the single worst album I actually listened to, all year...from within the confines of my own perspective, I could almost weep at the thought of that being one of the best pieces of music I'd heard, this year. This is not a personal attack or anything, so I hope people don't take offense. It's just me expressing utter befuddlement, basically. Did that album do really well on the charts, in the US? I want to say that it did, right...or was that the Tom Petty Greatest Hits album that sold so well...?

1) Stadium Arcadium by RHCP
2) Sam's Town by The Killers
3) Decemberunderground by AFI

And I guess the honorable mention would go to my most recent purchase, Saosin's self titled debut

Zootlesque said:

Are they still making albums? lol.

It's hardly a laughing matter, my friend. The UN recently (and at LONG last) classified Aerosmith's music as a human rights violation. It's about fucking time, if you ask me.

:wink:...sorta.

James Dean Bradfield - The Great Western

OK maybe not but it'll probably wind up in my top 10 somewhere.

Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Um

And about half that Guillemots album is pretty spectacular...too bad about the other half though.

1. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
2. Red Hot Chili Peppers -Stadium Arcadium
3. Mute Math - Mute Math

yep, I think Mute Math's album is better than Yorkie's, PJ's, Snow Patrol's, and Keane's album.

1. Modern Times-dylan
2. The Eraser-Thom Yorke
3. Stadium Arcadium-RHCP

o wait, those are the only three albums that came out this year that I listened too:wink:

If you shout... said:

It's hardly a laughing matter, my friend. The UN recently (and at LONG last) classified Aerosmith's music as a human rights violation. It's about fucking time, if you ask me.

:wink:...sorta.

Even worse is that Muse's horrific plagiarism has gone on far too long unnoticed. :tsk:

1. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
2. Pearl Jam
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Honorable mentions to Thom Yorke, Bob Dylan and Snow Patrol.

Still awaiting The Killers, Beck and Modest Mouse.

Back
Top Bottom