Your Top 10 Rush Songs - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Your Top 10 Rush Songs

Here's mine (presently)

1. Presto
2. Bravado
3. Marathon
4. Armor and Sword
5. Time Standstill
6. Prime Mover
7. Mission
8. Second Nature
9. Faithless
10. Xanadu

I marvel at how great these 3 guys are....in my opinion only U2 matches their staying power over the years.

And I'm glad Steve Lillywhite never got his paws on Rush. He was scheduled to produce either Power Windows or Hold Your Fire but backed out at the last minute(to go work with U2 apparently), much to the disdain of Geddy Lee. But Lillywhite never could have been productive with Rush, as much as I appreciate his contributions with U2

Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:21 AM
only u2 matches their staying power?

well, i might not like what u2 has to offer these days, but their staying power is far beyond any comparison to what rush have done.

i mean seriously.

rush appeal to their fan base, and... quite literally, noone else (including their family and closest friends).

responsible parents don't let their children listen to or look at photos of geddy lee, and their music has aged terribly over time.

how can anyone listen to the song "in the mood" or whatever it's called, and not cringe or at least laugh their ass off?

picturing geddy lee singing those lyrics... somehow decipherable through his rodent voice makes the bottom of my feet hurt. you ever get that sensation when you're really uncomfortable with something?

ah well.

sorry about that.

if you like them, good on you. there's actually a fair number of fans who'll show up now and give me a right proper slating.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

well, i might not like what u2 has to offer these days, but their staying power is far beyond any comparison to what rush have done.

i mean seriously.

rush appeal to their fan base, and... quite literally, noone else (including their family and closest friends).

responsible parents don't let their children listen to or look at photos of geddy lee, and their music has aged terribly over time.

how can anyone listen to the song "in the mood" or whatever it's called, and not cringe or at least laugh their ass off?

picturing geddy lee singing those lyrics... somehow decipherable through his rodent voice makes the bottom of my feet hurt. you ever get that sensation when you're really uncomfortable with something?

ah well.

sorry about that.

if you like them, good on you. there's actually a fair number of fans who'll show up now and give me a right proper slating.

See kids, THAT's funny. Not very hospitable, but funny.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

See kids, THAT's funny. Not very hospitable, but funny.
What's funny, is you have a picture of Patrick Swazye in "Roadhouse" under your name! What's the matter with you?

As for, the Rush hater in the first reply.... You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Rush continues to make music thats as relevant as anything you'll hear from a band that's been playing 30 plus years. I'm the biggest U2 fan on Earth, and Rush is a distant 3rd on my list behind U2 and the Boss...but Rush BLOWS AWAY BOTH of the aformentioned outfits in musicianship. No greater 3 piece in the world of rock n roll.

When it comes to musical talent...

Geddy Lee is a god among men, not only for his "rodent voice" but his evil bass skills. Bono whored out his voice a decade ago. Geddy still sounds like he's 18.

Alex Lifeson makes The Edge look like William Hung.

And Neil Peart...we needn't even go there.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth

What's funny, is you have a picture of Patrick Swazye in "Roadhouse" under your name! What's the matter with you?

As for, the Rush hater in the first reply.... You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Rush continues to make music thats as relevant as anything you'll hear from a band that's been playing 30 plus years. I'm the biggest U2 fan on Earth, and Rush is a distant 3rd on my list behind U2 and the Boss...but Rush BLOWS AWAY BOTH of the aformentioned outfits in musicianship. No greater 3 piece in the world of rock n roll.

When it comes to musical talent...

Geddy Lee is a god among men, not only for his "rodent voice" but his evil bass skills. Bono whored out his voice a decade ago. Geddy still sounds like he's 18.

Alex Lifeson makes The Edge look like William Hung.

And Neil Peart...we needn't even go there.
you're right, you changed my mind.
what was i thinking.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

for a minute i thought you were talking about this band:
Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

i mean seriously.

ah well.

sorry about that.

if you don't like rush get out of this thread and go listen to Muse or some other derivative radiohead ripoff shit...

in the meantime, here is my top ten:

1. Prime Mover
2. Spirit of Radio
3. Available Light
4. The Pass
5. Xanadu
6. A Farewell to Kings
7. The Big Money
8. Closer to the Heart (any live version)
9. Red Barchetta
10. Show Don't Tell

i could probably keep going. they're simply fucking amazing. they keep doing it, they have incredible chemistry, each man is essential to the band, their body*of work is fantastic. Sure, they made some clunkers, but every band does. their best songs are killer, they're fun, and they love their fans. the whole point is to make music that you love and hopefully your fans love. to knock a band for only being loved by the people that love them is simply stupid beyond further discussion. clearly, you don't like rush. kindly leave.
poo on the naysayers...
Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman

if you don't like rush get out of this thread and go listen to Muse or some other derivative radiohead ripoff shit...
very well, but muse is awful. "derivative radiohead ripoff shit" is not my thing.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman

in the meantime, here is my top ten:

1. Prime Mover
2. Spirit of Radio
3. Available Light
4. The Pass
5. Xanadu
6. A Farewell to Kings
7. The Big Money
8. Closer to the Heart (any live version)
9. Red Barchetta
10. Show Don't Tell

i could probably keep going. they're simply fucking amazing. they keep doing it, they have incredible chemistry, each man is essential to the band, their body of work is fantastic. Sure, they made some clunkers, but every band does. their best songs are killer, they're fun, and they love their fans. the whole point is to make music that you love and hopefully your fans love. to knock a band for only being loved by the people that love them is simply stupid beyond further discussion. clearly, you don't like rush. kindly leave.
poo on the naysayers...
Well said, my friend. Well said!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:21 PM

If people wish to keep this thread going by contributing positively to the topic, that's wonderful. Everybody else...I think there's been enough negativity here. LastEdgeOnEarth started a nice thread on Rush, and I would appreciate if it wouldn't get ruined.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth

I'm not a Rush hater, but the staying power of U2? Come on, you have to realize that's a stretch. A big stretch.

I'll give you they are great musicians, but I'm not sure about your definition of relevance, I don't think Rush have been relevant since 1989...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
The Fly

Ok, time to revise my list...

1. Presto
2. Bravado
3. Marathon
4. Mission
5. Armor and Sword
6. Time Standstill
7. Prime Mover
8. Second Nature
9. Faithless
10. Xanadu

Moved up "Mission" because I just learned the chords and because it's a showcase of Geddy's beautiful melodies!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
The Fly

Well I'm a huge lover of Rush! Coming up with only 10 songs is tough. Here is the list:

1. La Villa Strangiato
2. The Camera Eye
3. Xanadu
4. By-Tor and the Snow Dog
5. Mission
6. Cygnus X-1 book 2
7. The Analog Kid
8. A Farewell to Kings
9. The Fountain of Lamneth (embarrasing but I like this one)
10. The Trees

Anyway, I think Rush does have just about the staying power of U2. Most of their contemporaries are playing county fairs and Rush are still playing arenas.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by rushu2
Well I'm a huge lover of Rush! Coming up with only 10 songs is tough. Here is the list:

1. La Villa Strangiato
2. The Camera Eye
3. Xanadu
5. Mission
6. Cygnus X-1 book 2
7. The Analog Kid
8. A Farewell to Kings
10. The Trees

Anyway, I think Rush does have just about the staying power of U2. Most of their contemporaries are playing county fairs and Rush are still playing arenas.
Amen to that, my friend! Also, people forget how many Top 10 singles they've had in the mainstream rock charts over the years. Many many... at least 1 from every album going back to the late 70's.

And nice pick with "The Camera Eye"! Great tune and the last of their "epic" songs period! I'd love to hear it live!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by rushu2

1. La Villa Strangiato
2. The Camera Eye
3. Xanadu
5. Mission
6. Cygnus X-1 book 2
7. The Analog Kid
8. A Farewell to Kings
10. The Trees

Not only just playing arenas, but they still have the energy to play 3 hour shows, and almost always find something in their back catalog that hasn't been played in years and unlike at aU2 show where huge % of 'fans' go get a beer or go 'WTF is THAT' during oldies like An Cat Dubh the Rush fans actually appreciate the older and more obscure songs being played.

The video screens Rush took around with them last tour were a thing of beauty, comparing them to U2s 'lights on a string' in terms of effect were like comparing HDTV to your grandparents' black and white TV. And tickets were about half of what U2 tickets were.

I'd like to see U2 have enough of a sense of humor to use South Park in their show........