Your thoughts on racist jokes - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #16
Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 06:54 PM
it's a touchy thing....
"amongst ourselves"*, it's funny...
but told with deliberate intent to hurt someone... not so much.
where and when and how loudly is up to one's own discretion and that's when the trouble starts.

*"ourselves" of course being the butt of the jokes... gay, straight, Irish, Polish, Chinese, multicultural, blind, whatever...

Old 04-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:54 AM
I don´t like racist jokes and I am relatively strict on that. Light-heartedness is nice, but racism not. Sure, a good joke might involve a person with certain characters, but I prefer to joke about women or men or opel-drivers or yomama´s, or blonde hairdressers or gays, than about Afro-Americans, Vietnamese, Jews or any other specific ethnic groups - except if its a really harmless joke, like "The American, the Englishman and the ..." etc.

Imo, one could say a joke about gays is just as offensive as joking about an ethnic group, but I think considering the history of persecution, there are differences.

Another exception is when specific ethnic groups tell jokes about themselves; that might be funny "insider" for them.

But yeah, there is good taste and bad taste, and it depends on the joke. I prefer jokes about politicians to jokes about handicapped people.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #18
The Fly
Local Time: 03:54 PM
It just depends, you have to be careful about them. It is matter of opinoion and feeling and who is telling the joke.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #19
Local Time: 11:54 PM
there racist
Old 04-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #20
Jesus Online
Local Time: 10:54 AM
All my life I've heard horrible comments about my sister 'cos she's as black as the ace of spades and I resemble casper the ghost, so to hear a funny joke with no harm intended by a person who is confident enough in their own knowledge that they do not have any problem with race is weirdly refreshing. I dont view it as racism because it is not.

It all depends on how it is said (and imo should never matter by 'whom' it is said), and always needs to be within reason.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 04-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:54 AM
The people I know at university are all protestant and sometimes they'll come out with really anti-Catholic jokes. Some of them have family in the Orange Order and talk very openly with me about which political parties they'll vote for in the election and how they can't understand why anyone would ever vote for a "f***ing republican group trying to make this place an All-Ireland". If it was a person in my family telling the joke it wouldn't be offensive.

None of them know I am a Catholic. My sister has jsut left a protestant school, we live in a prodominantly protestant area and our whole family has protestant names. Hearing their jokes and knowing they're biggots really offends me. I really think they are being spiteful when they tell me them. I am a bit afraid of what would happen if one of them found out my religion. One girl has told me about her family doing not such pleasant things to a Catholic boy at a club one night.

Angie, my sister is quite pale and her boyfriend is black. Now that the weather is getting warmer and they get lots of jokes about the difference in their colours, none of them have gone too far though. I think it all depends on who says it and what they're saying, as long as it isn't taken to far and not meant to be malicious.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:54 PM
If dave chappelle uses racist jokes I am all for it.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:54 PM
or Chris Rock.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #24
love, blood, life
Originally posted by Lara Mullen
Some of them have family in the Orange Order and talk very openly with me about which political parties they'll vote for in the election and how they can't understand why anyone would ever vote for a "f***ing republican group trying to make this place an All-Ireland".
Hateful. Tell them to consult a map, and then ask them if they are enjoying their holiday in Ireland.

OK, better not actually do that.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
an english man, an irishman and a scotsman walk into a bar, and the barman says 'is this some kind of joke?'

Old 04-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:54 PM
I don't like them. They're not funny.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #27
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
Local Time: 06:54 PM
let's just say i'm sure i'm going to hell, okay?

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
Old 04-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #28
love, blood, life
Local Time: 07:54 PM
Racist jokes = bad

Jokes about heterosexuals = hilarity

Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
admit it, we ALL laugh at them at some point or another...!

My brother's in a band and one of the guitarists just tells REALLY bad (as in distasteful) jokes about all sorts of crap and when he comes home and makes the Pizza/Jew gag, I can't help laughing at it when I know deep down it's actually quite despicable...quite a problem really...!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:56 AM   #30
New Yorker
Local Time: 04:54 PM
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
let's just say i'm sure i'm going to hell, okay?
Me too. See you there, Khandra!