Your name as it appears on your birth certificate and their meaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My middle name is Susan but i dont have a clue what it means...

*goes checks*

Trusting apparently

And Laura means....

Artistic

:eyebrow:

first name--Patricia, it's Latin, means aristocratic, well born. How on earth did I get that one?
middle name--Merritt--it's a family name of Norman French origin. One of my great-grandparents had a friend whose name was Fannie Merritt and named her daughter after her. I have no idea what it means. Here in the U.S. South we use many family names as personal names.
My family name is Austrian.

Last edited:
Arun Arjunum Krishnan Ashoka

Arun - The Morning Sun

Arjunum - is a highly revered devotee of krishna

Krishna - an avatar of vishnu

Ashoka - an emperor of india translated from sanskrit it mean "one without sorrow" but in my case it indicates my bloodline

I dont care to give out my last name here...but it means " King of the seven mountains"

I have a ridiculously long name

Last edited:
laura--crowned with laurel. this was done to athletes, royalty, etc. my parents just wanted a name that would be the same in both an english and spanish speaking country (i was born in argentina).

kathleen--from katherine, meaning pure. i was named this after my dad's sister.

exciting...although, they were going to name me laura dawn...:no: i'd prefer kathleen...

Lara Mullen said:
My middle name is Susan but i dont have a clue what it means...

*goes checks*

Trusting apparently

And Laura means....

Artistic

:eyebrow:

Susan, Sue etc:
From Sousanna, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Shoshannah which was derived from the Hebrew word shushan meaning "lily" (in modern Hebrew this also means "rose"). In the New Testament this is the name of a woman who ministered to Christ.
Ellen:
Possibly from either Greek helene "torch" or "corposant", or Greek selene "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.

*I never imagined this*
I was pretty important untill the 1980's when everyone thought I was married to a rich Texan who got shot.

This is an interesting link: http://www.behindthename.com

Amber Lee --

Amber is a precious gem.

Amberlee is 'A jewel-quality fossilized resin; as a color the name refers to a warm honey shade.' -- Jurassic Park-esque

Lee by itself means plum.

haha I never knew that last one before.

Richard - Powerful, Superior, In Charge !!! (WTF am I doing here???) :confused:

No middle..........

My last name in Italian means something very close to "The walk"

My mom's surname means "Eight Queens" in Spanish....

First Name: Iris...Iris = Rainbow in Spanish but that is not why I was named Iris. My mother named me after a child patient she had

Middle Name: Melissa

My last name is a very old name that is from the middle east and is in the bible but the name came over with the conquistadors and settled in Mexico.

My mothers last name is a name that had to be changed to prevent persecution from the Spaniards.

Last edited:
Justified said:
My mothers last name is a name that had to be changed to prevent persecution from the Spaniards.

Really? Interesting.

My mom's maiden name is the result of the original being altered a little, too-but that's because some of our ancestors within that side of family didn't get along, and so a few of them decided to change the spelling of the name because of their feuds with the others. :rolleyes:.

I'm glad I don't have my mom's maiden name for my last name, 'cause hers is really long and I have a hard time remembering how to spell it. My dad's five-letter last name works just fine for me. :).

Angela

Eve -means "life" in hebrew and adds up to the number 7 which in kabbalistic philosophy means completetion (my parents picked it because it was short) (just like bono's daughter :cute:)

Caroline-not sure it was my grandmothers middle name

Kathleen - Irish variant of Katherine, meaning "pure"

Theresa - "summer", "to harvest"

Justified said:
First Name: Iris...Iris = Rainbow in Spanish but that is not why I was named Iris. My mother named me after a child patient she had

Middle Name: Melissa

My last name is a very old name that is from the middle east and is in the bible but the name came over with the conquistadors and settled in Mexico.

And didn't we figure we both had roots in Chihuahua, Mexico????
:)

Back
Top Bottom