Your Favourite Bluesmen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well it’s a simple question although I doubt it’ll get much response here.

So without further ado:

BB King
Robert Johnson
Howlin’ Wolf
Son House
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Share your favourites.
:wink:

robert johnson

:up: :up:

two thumbs up

listen to his version of travelling riverside blues and then listen to led zep's version

its sweet!

Son House
Howlin Wolf
Robert Johnson
Charlie Christian
Buddy Guy
B.B. King
John Lee Hooker
Robert Cray
Mighty Joe Young
Little Freddie King
Johnny Adams
Big Joe Williams
Fats Waller
Earl Hines
Mary Lou Williams
Jimi Hendrix
Albert Ammons, Meade Lux Lewis and Pete Johnson
Sunnyland Slim
Memphis Slim
Eddie Boyd
Curtis Jones
Otis Spann
Little Brother Montgomery
Roosevelt Sykes
Speckled Red
Professor Longhair
Dr. John
James Booker

carrieluvv said:
listen to his version of travelling riverside blues and then listen to led zep's version

its sweet!

Yep, Led Zeppelin got famous for ripping off blues artists, covering blues songs without giving them a dime.

There are a few Blues lovers here...yay! You all warm my heart.

Here are mine:

Robert Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughn... :drool:
Elmore James
Muddy Waters
Howlin' Wolf
Buddy Guy
John Lee Hooker
BB King
Son House

And we can't forget about the ladies now can we?
Big Momma Thorton
Bessie Smith
Mary Lou Williams
:heart: Billie Holiday (she was jazz and blues all rolled into one!) :heart:

GREAT THREAD!!!!!!

Robert Johnson - the King!!!!

Howlin'
Muddy Waters
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Son House
Etta James

robert johnson was the most badass dude ever.

there was someone recent i was going to list, but i can't remember who it was. this has been bugging me, i was trying to remember for some other reason a week or two ago, but i forgot.

led zeppelin did some versions of blues songs...maybe they did rip em off.......but their versions werent crap atleast

could the same thing be said about eric clapton? i mean did he pay for his versions ? ???? hmmmm????????

zero dude I was going to mention ry cooder...

if you get the chance pick up the cd " little Village"
its a collaboration with ry cooder and john hiatt and some other dudes........ they called themselves little village
its a really great CD

John Hiatt - Guitar & Vocals
Ry Cooder - Slide Guitar & Vocals
Nick Lowe - Bass Guitar & Vocals
Jim Keltner - Drums & Percussion

you'll love it

carrieluvv said:
led zeppelin did some versions of blues songs...maybe they did rip em off.......but their versions werent crap atleast

could the same thing be said about eric clapton? i mean did he pay for his versions ? ???? hmmmm????????

zero dude I was going to mention ry cooder...

if you get the chance pick up the cd " little Village"
its a collaboration with ry cooder and john hiatt and some other dudes........ they called themselves little village
its a really great CD

John Hiatt - Guitar & Vocals
Ry Cooder - Slide Guitar & Vocals
Nick Lowe - Bass Guitar & Vocals
Jim Keltner - Drums & Percussion

you'll love it

Clapton did pay and he also appropriated the Robert Johnson estate which LZ and much to my chagrin, The Stones did not do until they were sued a few years ago. The Stones covered RJ quite a bit, "Love in Vain" and "Stop Breaking Down" just to name a few. Clapton, if I'm not mistaken released an album titled "My Life With Robert Johnson" in which he covered all of his favorite RJ songs.

The White Stripes also did an AMAZING cover of "Stop Breaking Down" and Jack White also appropriated RJ's estate. The funny thing is that he thought he had done the first modern cover of "SBD" until a rock journalist informed him that the Stones had done it for "Exile."

Jack White's response, "Oh, I've never heard that version." :laugh:

<------ is a Blues dork.

angel_of_L.A. said:
The White Stripes also did an AMAZING cover of "Stop Breaking Down" and Jack White also appropriated RJ's estate. The funny thing is that he thought he had done the first modern cover of "SBD" until a rock journalist informed him that the Stones had done it for "Exile."

Jack White's response, "Oh, I've never heard that version." :laugh:

Jack White has never heard "Exile On Main Street!":eeklaugh:

Jack, get a fucking bass player.

carrieluvv said:

Yes he did.. most of the time for sure.. Clapton always showed his respect for the Bluesmen.

welp...............im not much a bluesnerd myself......i dont really like clapton too much.

i guess it dont really matter to me too much who got paid...

how the hell was anyone suppose to pay robert johnson when he was dead at such a young age?

Clapton put out "From The Cradle" in 1994.

That is a great blues record. You can't recognise his voice at all. And the playing is dirty, dirty, dirty.

And nobody has mentioned Rory Gallagher? On a U2 site?

Stevie is my tops. He was from another world.

carrieluvv said:
WHO PAID ROBERT JOHNSON YA"LL?????????????????????

carrie...

no one paid him (except maybe of Ernie Oertel and Don Law?)

he paid, in lifetime and death

did you know that when Johnson was 17, he married the 15 yr old Virgina Travis? She was pregnant and died the following year; the child did not survive. That´s when he went away.

hellhound on his trail, he did that deal at the crossroads.

and I forgot to mention Big Bill Broonzy, who performed istead of Johnson at the "From Spirituals to Swing" concerts organised by Hammond at Carnegie Hall.

Last edited:
in the movie o brother where art though......did they use robert johnson as thier inspiration for the scene when they pick up that brother at the crossraods,,,,,,,i wonder
the one who asks them are you going to tishamingo?

^
As far as I’m aware that would be the case.

Also in regards to Clapton I never really gave him much validity as a bluesman, a great player yes but I’m not so sure of his credentials.

In reply to Brau:

In my original post I didn't mention Rory or Hendrix due to the fact they were predominately blues-rock players at the start of their careers although it is quite blatantly obvious that they became more conventional bluesman as they both progressed through life.

Well Voodoo Child is something of a standard nowadays anyway.

Back
Top Bottom