Your favorite sports moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Hello.

What is your favorite sports moment, not like the greatest of all time, but your personal favorite sports moment, in your life?

Lets see for me it would be:

These were all events I attended

1996 MLB Playoffs

Cardinals had a 2-1 lead over the defending champion Braves in a best of 7 series, whoever won this series was going to the World Series

The Cards stunk it up early, falling behind by 3 runs. The offense wasnt doing squat and it looked like the game was over going into the bottom of the 7th, down 3-0. But the Braves, for some stupid reason, decide to take out their pitcher. The Cardinals have an incredible rally to score 3 runs to tie it up. 57,000 people rocked Busch stadium, as it was the craziest sports atmosphere I've ever been in. The announcers said they thought their announcer booth was going to fall down because it was shaking so much. St. Louis lives and breathes for it's baseball, so it was quite the spectacle. In the bottom of the 8th, Brian Jordan hit a homerun to give the Cardinals a 4-3 lead that they would not surrender. All I can remember is jumping up and down like a crazy man and hugging various stanger drunk guys in the seats next to us, still jumping up and down while hugging. It was pure sports bliss. We ended up taking a 3-1 series lead to go to the World Series.

We lost the next 3 games 14-0, 3-1, and 15-0, a complete and utter choke job. But I'll never forget that one night of sports magic, when victory was ripped out of the clenched fist of defeat.

A close second was being at the game where Mark McGwire hit his 62nd home run, to break Roger Maris' home run record. Once again, much jumping for joy occurred, as the place went crazy, but the only hugging was with friends, no strangers. Then, we went out to the concourse where there were literally a couple dozen different news reporters to live reports to stations all over the world. We decided to go stand behind some Japanese reporter giving his report, so that we could get on Japanese tv. A large gathering crowded behind us, and while the Japanese guy was doing his Japanese reporting, I started a chant of Sixty Two, Sixty Two, Sixty Two! Everyone joined in within half a second, and created such a loud stir that the Japanese guy could barely finish his report.

And people wonder why the world thinks Americans are jackasses :wink:

Third would be the St. Louis Rams defeating the Minnesota Vikings in a playoff game in 1999 on their way to a Superbowl victory. The thing I remember most about that game was on Minnesota's first drive, it took them forever to drive down the field, many many plays. And then they were only able to kick a field goal. Then they kick the ball to us, and on our first play we throw a 77 yard touchdown pass, the first freakin play. It was pandamonium. Over 70,000 people in that dome can make a lot of noise. We ended up winning 49-37 in just a great great playoff game.

The Avs winning the Cup in 2001...seeing Ray Bourque finally win it. Really special, even if I did have to watch it on tv like the rest of the poor. I only wish we had been in town for the parade!

Seeing how bad Adam Deadmarsh sucked at baseball at a charity softball game, combining the Avs, Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets and Rapids. :laugh: And how well Stephane Yelle could pitch, Drury play in general and how far Ed McCafferty could hit the ball.

Meeting Martin Skoula. :love:

P.S. Why is there a puking smiley as the thread icon? I thought this was supposed to be a happy memory thread? :eyebrow:

Last edited:
1994 stanley cup run by the vancouver canucks will always be the highlight of my life that my wedding day will not even come close to matching.

starting with their 3-1 comeback against calgary topped by pavel bure's double ot goal all the way through the agonizing game 7 defeat at the hands of the ny rangers, those two months were the greatest of my life. grade 6 was the best year ever for me, and this is a huge reason for it.

man life was good then.

Zoom, that's awesome. My favourite personal memory was watching Gretz personally annihilate the Maple Leafs in the '93 Conference final by scoring a hat trick and adding an assist. The final goal added insult to injury to Leaf fans. He swooped down the right boards, picked the puck up with his feet on an outlet pass, popped it up to his stick, cut wide around the the offensive zone--all the while being chased by a defender--then cut behind the net, and banked it off a Leaf skate and in from the other side of the net. It was almost embarrassing.

This all happened after the Toronto media had said Gretzky looked as though he was skating with a piano on his back the entire series. So what does he do? He scores the OT winner in game 6 and then the hat trick in game 7. He answered the critics, and it was a sweet victory to witness and behold.

Oh, it was nice to see Gretz personally detroy the NJ Devils in the '97 playoffs as well. Ah, memories...

Michael Griffiths said:
Zoom, that's awesome. My favourite personal memory was watching Gretz personally annihilate the Maple Leafs in the '93 Conference final by scoring a hat trick and adding an assist. The final goal added insult to injury to Leaf fans. He swooped down the right boards, picked the puck up with his feet on an outlet pass, popped it up to his stick, cut wide around the the offensive zone--all the while being chased by a defender--then cut behind the net, and banked it off a Leaf skate and in from the other side of the net. It was almost embarrassing.

This all happened after the Toronto media had said Gretzky looked as though he was skating with a piano on his back the entire series. So what does he do? He scores the OT winner in game 6 and then the hat trick in game 7. He answered the critics, and it was a sweet victory to witness and behold.

Oh, it was nice to see Gretz personally detroy the NJ Devils in the '97 playoffs as well. Ah, memories...

:up:

#5... the first sports memory I remember... October of 1986. I was six at the time... 5 and 11 months if you want to get technical about it (ironicaly, so was Chizip)... Game 3 of the National League Championship Series... Shea Stadium... Mets vs. Astros... Lenny Dykstra hits a walk off homerun to win the game. From that point on, Dykstra would be come my favorite player and the Mets my favorite team.
1986g3a.jpg

1986g3b.jpg

#4... 1994...After years of being knocked off by Michael Jordan and the Bulls, the Knicks finally make it to the NBA Finals, thanks to Patrick Ewing going off in the 4th quarter of Game 7 to knock off the Indiana Pacers
ewing_94.jpg

#3... Super Bowl XXV... New York Giants 20, Buffalo Bills 19... Scott Norwood... wide right...
sb25.gif

sb-missed.jpg

on a side note... Whitney Houston sang the national anthem in her last good moment before becomming a crack head.

continued...

#2... World Series, Game 6, October 15, 1986, New York Mets vs. Boston Red Sox... the two key calls...

Vern Scully: Stanley ready... he throws... and the pitch is inside! It gets behind Gedman and the tying run is home! The tying run scores! And down to second base goes Knight! 55,078 fans go wild as the Mets, with two out and the bases empty in the last of the 10th have tied it up!

and the ultimate...
Bob Murphy: Mookie Wilson still trying to win it for New York. 3 and 2 the count. And the pitch by Stanley... and a ground ball... trickling... it is a fair ball... GETS BY BUCKNER!!! ROUNDING THIRD KNIGHT!!! THE METS WILL WIN THE BALL GAME!!! THE METS WIN!!! THEY WIN!!!
Gary Thorn: UNBELIEVABLE, THE RED SOX IN STUNNED... DISBELIEF!!!

1986_ws.jpg

ws1986.jpg

And my number 1 sports moment of all time...

September 21, 2001... New York Mets vs. the rival Atlanta Braves. The first game in back in New York since the attacks...
Mets down 2-1, bottom of the 8th inning, Mike Piazza at the plate, one man on, 2 outs... Piazza sends one out into the night, giving the Mets the 3-2 lead, and after closing out the top of the 9th, the win.
PA050037b.jpg

metssomethingtobelievein.jpg
CheersTearsandaBallgame.jpg

nym01959.jpeg

Zoomerang96 said:
1994 stanley cup run by the vancouver canucks
starting with their 3-1 comeback against calgary topped by pavel bure's double ot goal all the way through the agonizing game 7

Scary... mine too... I was there. Best hockey game I've ever seen. It's an amazing thing to be at a playoff game (especially game 7) between two Canadian teams; back when I was a huge Canucks fan, that was the best sports moment of my life. Seeing Bure bear down on Vernon and put it past him... that was sweet.

Another... possibly seeing Doug Gilmour's last game this past year. It would be unfortunate if he couldn't play again, but at least I got to see him in a Leafs uniform one last time.

oh man I completely forgot Indiana's run to the championship game in college basketball last year. Indiana is probably the biggest basketball state there is, and this place went crazy. After we upset Duke 74-73 on a missed free throw in one of the greatest games of all time, this campus started to go bezerk.

Then after we beat Kent St to go to the Final Four, something like 15,000 people packed down into the street where we have all our bars. It was like our own mardi gras, as people were climbing trees and lamp posts, girls where on guys shoulders flashing, almost everybody was drunk because they were drinking during the game, and it was just pure craziness. To get into a bar to watch the game during the final four you had to show up at noon, or it would be too full and you couldnt get in, and the game was at 7pm!

We then beat Oklahoma to make it to the championship game, and the whole meeting out at the street took place again, but even crazier. Andybody driving around had people out the windows screaming and holding IU flags and honking. ESPN was doing reports from our bars. 4 helicopters were flying overhead during the celebrations. It was really quite the spectacle that I will never forget.

Of course when we lost the championship game the police needed tear gas to break it up. But, those were the best times I had at college by far.

celebration.jpg

bloomington
party.jpg

Last edited:
A few more...

I forgot about the 1994 Canucks run. That was amazing; I still to this day hate that the Rangers won. :mad:

*Meeting Igor Larionov in 1997 is another one of my personal highlights. A living hockey legend, and a really cool and nice one at that. :up: Also, meeting most of the rest of the 1997 Wings was kickass, but he stands out (as does Darren McCarty, great guy :) ).

*Phoenix Coyotes vs. Detroit - April 12th, 1998: Went down to the ice during pre-skate wearing my USA Olympic hockey jersey, and caught Keith Carney's attention. He flipped me a puck right before heading back into the locker room. :happy:

Great moments Headache! :up:

One of my favorite memories came when I was just a kid! I grew up with 3 bros..... one of them is a die hard Dodgers Fan the other a die hard A's fan... (this was before I become a Braves fan at the age of 12 thanks to my other bro) So anyway... I sided with my bro who likes the Dogers...

So this comes from tthe 1988 World Series, Game one. The Dodgers were losing tot he A's 4-3 (I believe)...and Kirk Gibson who was hurt at the time comes up to pinch hit at the bottom of the 9th and hits the winning two run home run! Ahhh I was a kid but I remember because my bro's were such die hard fans and made a big old fuss about it! hehehe

:D

My other fav memory is when the Braves finally won the Championship in 1995!! :D

I'll think of more later!

Last edited:
mine:

- i went to the game in which Ripken broke the streak
- watching Maryland win the NCAA hoops title
- Watching the 1500/mile, 5k and 10k world records be destoyed over and over in the past 10 years

Now mine...

97-98 AFL Grand Final wins for the Adelaide Crows
Anytime an aussie golfer wins a major, so British Open last year was close!
99 Cricket World Cup semi
Lots of Olympics
2003 Australia beat England in the soccer!

Arsenal taking the 1997/98 season - Bergkamp's hat-trick against Leicester ~ Tony Adam's scoring a strikers goal against Everton

England 4 - 1 Holland Euro '96 ~ Gacoigne's volley against Scotland Euro '96

France '98 ~ Michael Owen against Argentina :D, Bergkamp against Argentina :D

Rene Higuita's Scorpion inspired save at Wembley '95 just for the spectacle which..yes..did prompt many a school boy to attempt to emulate on the play fields

David Beckham's goal at Selhurst Park '96 from the halfway line

Ayrton Senna's first lap at Donigton '93

Ivanisevic finally claiming the Wimbledon title '01

- the Man U comeback against Bayern Munich back in April '99....unbelievable!!!

- England beating Argentina in the World Cup last June 7th, 2002

- When Ireland beat Holland to qualify for the World Cup (it was before the Slane concert and they showed it on the big screen - the crowd was absolutely ecstatic after that!!)

- The Jays winning the World Series (both times)...

- Canada winning at the Olympics last February

the 1999 cricket world cup semi final between Australia and South Africa

followed by
Marco van Basten during the 1988 europe cup

Back
Top Bottom