Your Favorite Punk Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Every month Q magazine asks its staffers the same question and lists each person's answers next to their name in the masthead. The question is usually music-related and connects to a feature in the magazine. This month the staffers had to share what their favorite punk rock song is since the March issue is all about Punk '76 (and has the great picture of a sweet-faced young John Lydon on its cover).

So, what's your favorite punk song?

Mine is X's "Los Angeles"

either

The Ramones - My Brain is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)

or

The Clash - Rock the Casbah

:drool::drool::drool:

i envy those of you whose sole punk rock exposure is clash and ramones best of's (or ramones best of's and london calling) because "OMG bono says they're good!!1". it's like picking one beatles song if you're a beatles fan. hell, it's like picking a favorite u2 song for people at this site. fucking impossible. "punk" encompasses a million subgenres, spanning a few decades now, including a lot of stuff that i wouldn't even call punk. but then we get into a whole other debate, and that's never a good direction.

speaking of not punk, though - rock the casbah?!

Last edited:
IWasBored, you always crack me up...

I mean that as a complement.

My fave punk song as of today is:

Fuck the Universe, Ryan Adams

IWasBored said:
i envy those of you whose sole punk rock exposure is clash and ramones best of's (or ramones best of's and london calling) because "OMG bono says they're good!!1". it's like picking one beatles song if you're a beatles fan. hell, it's like picking a favorite u2 song for people at this site. fucking impossible. "punk" encompasses a million subgenres, spanning a few decades now, including a lot of stuff that i wouldn't even call punk. but then we get into a whole other debate, and that's never a good direction.

:hug:

It's time to go join the church :wink:

Yeah, IWB, that's the only reason why we listen to The Clash. Because Bono said it's good. We're sheep who hang on Bono's every last word. :yes:

IWasBored said:
i envy those of you whose sole punk rock exposure is clash and ramones best of's (or ramones best of's and london calling)because "OMG bono says they're good!!1".......
Your complete assumption of how any of us came by our exposure to "punk" - or "not punk" - is duly noted. :|

IWasBored said:
Couldn't agree with you more... Rock the Casbah is a far cry from what most people would define as punk. Doesn't stop me from loving the litte ditty, even if I only ever heard it because Bono told me to give it a listen. :slant:

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

The Clash - Rock the Casbah

Worst song of the last 50,000 years.

Somebody please tell me why they had to go and make this song?

Casbah and 'Should I Stay' would never have made the Radio Clash playlist on pirate satellite.

Layton said:

Worst song of the last 50,000 years.

Somebody please tell me why they had to go and make this song?

Casbah and 'Should I Stay' would never have made the Radio Clash playlist on pirate satellite.

SAYS IT'S NOT KOSHER !!! :rockon:

" wash away" T.S.O.L.
" fire in the rain" Agent Orange
' Bodies" sex pistols
" kill the poor" Dead Kennedy's
"wild in the streets" Circle Jerks

The only truly "punk" sounding album the Clash ever made was their self-titled and maybe a couple of songs on 'Enough Rope (and thank god for that too). But it's the message that counts, not if you can make the same album over and over again and somehow be successful (a.k.a The Ramones formula).

So favourite punk songs at the moment?

The Clash - Complete Control
Dead Kennedys - Government Flu
Bad Religion - Kyoto Now
The Damned - Plan 9 Channel 7

(by the way, are the Pogues punk....how about Billy Bragg or Manic Street Preachers....same attitudes and message, all three, so why not?)

GibsonGirl said:
Yeah, IWB, that's the only reason why we listen to The Clash. Because Bono said it's good. We're sheep who hang on Bono's every last word. :yes:

sheep? nah, i'd say fish, though. you certainly took the bait.

I don't know if this qualifies, but..

faithless, the wonder boy; by radiohead is a good one

Back
Top Bottom