Your Favorite Punk Song - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 AM
hell, if we're bringing Woody Guthrie into this then how about Dylan doing Maggie's Farm?

that's punk. going electric in defiance of all the folkies, and the lyrics on top of it.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu

Who is more punk than Woody "this guitar kills fascists" Guthrie?

Completely true...it is about attitude, as you say. Bands such as Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have a kind of punk ethos, though they're considered "modern rock" or whatever the tag is at the moment. With Pearl Jam, I find it interesting how they're seemingly slipping back into their original influences. Many of the songs are now shorter, punchier, and more political.

With Green Day, I think they took their first beating from the "hardcore" fans when Dookie was released...when they signed a mega-buck deal with one of the big major labels, and started doing videos, etc. The thing that impresses me about Green Day is how they've stretched themselves as artists. I'm not one of those hardcore fans, but I admire a band that can take a look around and truly capture a moment in time.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 07:25 AM
this thread has turned pretty awesome.

um, I think... my favorite punk song would have to be... 'history lesson part 2' by the minutemen. is that punk? who knows. (who cares?)

EDIT: or, jeez, add on 'bastards of young', 'marquee moon' and husker du's cover of 'eight miles high'.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #79
Refugee

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
ESP - The Buzzcocks
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones

Predictable I know, but awesome songs all the same
Old 03-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #80
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Like I've said elsewhere: punk may be about 'spitting in the face' of the establishment, but there's a way to do it and there's a way not to do it. I like the idea of punk insofar as there needs to be a medium to express outrage at society and the desire to have that society change. I dislike the use of that medium to self-promote, particularly when it comes to the promotion of anarchism (which is an absolutely ridiculous concept), and also when it comes to the incitement of unguided rage.

I can hardly blame punk music for the idiocy of the younger crowds (re: highschool kids mostly) that follow it, and seem to (one way or another) be under the impression that breaking windows and tipping over mailboxes is the proper vehicle for social reform... but frankly, that shit isn't practical, it accomplishes nothing (except perhaps provokes a reaction from the already stronger powers that are so "oppressive") and it makes a mockery of all the hard work people put in to trying to make positive changes, and I might even go so far as to say that violent immature bullshit actually sets back progressive changes. Violence and vandalism tends not to phase the fabulously wealthy, the multi-national corporation, etc... they have large enough safety nets to prevent them from being too affected.

If 'anarchism', and the placement of individual self-interest and freedom as the highest priority, which effectively culminates in a 'might = right' scenario (because, truth be told, 6 billion individuals cannot work as individuals in any cohesive and non-conflicting manner), then a social majority is stronger than the social minority and is therefore right to oppress that minority no matter what the minority feels about this scenario. Clearly, this is ridiculous, and noone who actually cares about individual self-interest and freedom would advocate this position; because it leaves them open to unbridaled oppression the likes of which they don't currently face. I mean, seriously. Sure, you may work a shitty job, for shitty pay, with a shitty boss, but its that same shitty job, shitty money, shitty boss, that keep food in your stomach and all that jazz. Really, how many of us can truly say that if all our social safety nets were removed that we could be entirely self-sufficient -- and even if we can, would our lives be made better for it? Not likely many of us, and not likely that it would do us a damn bit of good.

If people want to make changes, then let them argue it out and establish why things in society are wrong and why they need to be changed. The exploitation of blue collar workers, for one. The treatment of the unemployed and/or homeless, for another. The treatment of racial minorities. And on, and on, and on. The answer to this is not the immature, uninformed, ignorant belief of school-children who believe that social-destruction is the punk ideology; destroying society would be the worst thing to do. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. That'd be like getting a papercut on your finger, recognizing it needs healing, and cutting off your arm in response. 'Well, my finger doesn't hurt anymore!' you'd say, as you bled to death from your should stump.

Maybe I never gave the Sex Pistols a fair shot, but from what I've said, it shouldn't come as much of a suprise that I have nothing but contempt and disgust for them.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #81
Refugee

Local Time: 02:25 PM
stooges - search and destroy
Old 03-31-2006, 06:44 AM   #82
Refugee

Local Time: 01:25 PM
I have the essential woody guthrie on vinyl
im not even kiddin
Old 04-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #83
Babyface

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Ramones.. I wanna be sedated
Old 04-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #84
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:55 PM
sorry but no sex pistols = no punk

we wouldnt even be on this thread...
Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 AM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by reptile
sorry but no sex pistols = no punk

we wouldnt even be on this thread...
no small feat for an assembled boy band!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #86
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Dis-assembled boy band?

De-constructed boy band!?......

Rotten/lydons voice still gives me goosebumps.....
Old 04-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #87
Refugee

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I have a hard time beliveing that so many are are posting favorite songs by the cliched big punks bands. Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. If that's honestly what you like cool they're good but it seems so cliched almost as if people feel their music credibility is at stake if they don't mention one of these bands in this thread. Oh well. To be brutally honest I'm not a big fan of the punk music I grew up with(NOFX, Jugheads Revenge, Bouncing Souls, etc) and I don't know a hell of alot about the roots of punk music. Haveing said all that I really like Face To Face I pick:

Blind - Face to Face
Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Looks like playing your favourite punk song can be dangerous...poor fella.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw1144232461887B232
Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
I have a hard time beliveing that so many are are posting favorite songs by the cliched big punks bands. Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. If that's honestly what you like cool they're good but it seems so cliched almost as if people feel their music credibility is at stake if they don't mention one of these bands in this thread. Oh well. To be brutally honest I'm not a big fan of the punk music I grew up with(NOFX, Jugheads Revenge, Bouncing Souls, etc) and I don't know a hell of alot about the roots of punk music. Haveing said all that I really like Face To Face I pick:

Blind - Face to Face

dude, read my posts from page 1.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
Looks like playing your favourite punk song can be dangerous...poor fella.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw1144232461887B232

that link doesn't work for me. is that the guy who got arrested for singing london calling?