Your Favorite Punk Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Public image-public image limited
Low life-public image limited
London calling-the clash (punk? who cares...)
Everybodys happy nowadays-buzzcocks
Liar-sex pistols........

Punk is the reason why......

True Sounds of Liberty (aka TSOL): 'Code Blue'

Or, I'm also a fan of Iggy Pop's 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'

Love the Clash and the Ramones, though.

I was so hoping someone would say "Vertigo" so I could have a nice pee in my pants.

Revolution by The Beatles.

It may not be fast enough or seem like punk to most people, but punk rock's always been about the attitude to me. So yeah, as bayernfc said on the last page, The Clash might not sound like a punk rock band on most of their albums, but they used their music as a weapon for change and that's punk to me. Their exploration into other styles of music makes them 100 times more punk rock than untalented douchebags like the Sex Pistols.

Lennon to me was one of the original punks, and Revolution just comes blaring out of the speakers like an assault. That guitar, that SOUND is a revolution unto itself. And the lyrics are daringly political for a pop band.

Um... I don't know about any one song... but the one song that I think best expresses the paradox of rebellious and socially critical music being presented through an inherently consumerist system... and for being a damn good rocker...

Death or Glory - the Clash

There are lots of songs I like more, but that song speaks volumes about punk and music in general.

:drool: death or glory is possibly my all-time favorite song (honestly, i'm torn between it, straight to hell, and white man- of clash goodness, and some random other tunes). and as awesome as mike ness is, that social d cover...musical crime, i tell you.

the only thing that actually bugs me about this thread is all these classic punk fans come out of the woodwork to post a couple songs, but when someone (okay, it seems like usually just me) wants to talk about punk rock, i get replies from like two of you. where is everybody else then, hmm?

haha, it's like me trying to talk about post-rock

let's open lots of Pink Floyd and Radiohead threads, IWB :happy:

hay jitb, wats ur favrtit coldpl;ay and killerz songs?!?

kwick, stat a nu thread evrytime ur favrotie band plays a show!!!1!!!

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

the only thing that actually bugs me about this thread is all these classic punk fans come out of the woodwork to post a couple songs, but when someone (okay, it seems like usually just me) wants to talk about punk rock, i get replies from like two of you.

Forgive me if I'm wrong.

It seems more to me that you're bugged by the fact that more people in this thread are listing some of the better-known punk acts (The Clash, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols) than other lesser-known punk, making them not-true-punk-fans and therefore making them incapable of contributing to a punk discussion.

If that's the case, well, I'll just stick to my Radiohead and Pink Floyd threads. :happy:

GibsonGirl said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong.

It seems more to me that you're bugged by the fact that more people in this thread are listing some of the better-known punk acts (The Clash, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols) than other lesser-known punk, making them not-true-punk-fans and therefore making them incapable of contributing to a punk discussion.

If that's the case, well, I'll just stick to my Radiohead and Pink Floyd threads. :happy:

i'll say it again. i am bugged by the fact that people are saying they like punk rock, yet when actual discussion threads are posted, they're nowhere to be found. i don't care about punk rock credentials or any of that crap (i'm posting at a u2 board under a nine inch nails avatar, for christ's sake). it's being open to actually having a discussion, because i don't see that happening. face it, this isn't a discussion. this is a bunch of lists, mainly based around what some bullshit music magazine tells us we're supposed to like as music fans, or the gospel according to some dumb rock star. lists like that are a lot easier than taking the time to listen to a ducky boys song, if you've never heard the band, and then talking about it. watching threads like this play out the way they do feeds my suspicion that the majority of the people at this site with ramones tshirts ran out to hot topic to buy them with the sole aim of attracting bono's attention so he'd pull them up on stage to dance.

seeing as you're the person who argued that bedouin soundclash's cover of the guns of brixton sucked because of the ska/dub style, yes, you probably should stick to your pink floyd and radiohead threads.

Well, aren't we the snob.

this is a bunch of lists, mainly based around what some bullshit music magazine tells us we're supposed to like as music fans, or the gospel according to some dumb rock star.

Generalisation.

watching threads like this play out the way they do feeds my suspicion that the majority of the people at this site with ramones tshirts ran out to hot topic to buy them with the sole aim of attracting bono's attention so he'd pull them up on stage to dance.

Generalisation.

seeing as you're the person who argued that bedouin soundclash's cover of the guns of brixton sucked because of the ska/dub style, yes, you probably should stick to your pink floyd and radiohead threads.

Oh-ho! Good one! Never mind that you know I know that The Clash themselves were directly influenced by reggae, and we cleared this up in the other thread.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

If you're getting upset over the lists, did you not see the title of this thread? "Your Favourite Punk Song." Obviously, that would lead to people listing, gasp, their favourite punk songs. Even the first post in this thread set the tone for "list thread." If you want to have intelligent conversation on the punk genre in general, perhaps you should create a thread dedicated to discussion entirely and make that very explicit in your post.

IWasBored said:

This has nothing to do with Bedouin Soundclash, but I was just reminded of how much I dislike Dropkick Murphys' version of Guns of Brixton. Holy God i hate it. Not as bad as Social D's Death or Glory, though. But yeah, DKM and Career Opportunities is a good thing. I just despise their Guns of Brixton.

And as far as Social D's Death or GLory... I really, REALLY wanted to like it. I heard part of it on the radio one day and thought it sounded okay. Then I heard the whole thing. It makes me weep.

GibsonGirl said:
Well, aren't we the snob.

Generalisation.

Generalisation.

Oh-ho! Good one! Never mind that you know I know that The Clash themselves were directly influenced by reggae, and we cleared this up in the other thread.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

If you're getting upset over the lists, did you not see the title of this thread? "Your Favourite Punk Song." Obviously, that would lead to people listing, gasp, their favourite punk songs. Even the first post in this thread set the tone for "list thread." If you want to have intelligent conversation on the punk genre in general, perhaps you should create a thread dedicated to discussion entirely and make that very explicit in your post.

yeah, they're admitted generalizations. trust me, i'd love for folks here to prove me wrong.

bedouin soundclash - yeah, that was a cheap shot and totally out of place.

list threads can't be discussions? sorry, i didn't see that in the FAQ. must have been some other site where i thought the sole purpose of message board threads were for discussion. with the number of game and chat threads here, i should have seen that coming. and you clearly missed my point about those explicit discussion threads falling flat on their faces. i started a thread comparing the street dogs video for "back to the world" to green day's "wake me up when september ends" videos, and the only responses i got were "gReEn dAy rOx1!!!" granted, i know 99% of the people on this site probably have never heard of the street dogs, but i know i provided a link to the video in an attempt to stimulate discussion. instead, i got 5 pages of drivel and was probably compelled to go off on my "i hate anti-flag" rant.

UnforgettableLemon said:

This has nothing to do with Bedouin Soundclash, but I was just reminded of how much I dislike Dropkick Murphys' version of Guns of Brixton. Holy God i hate it. Not as bad as Social D's Death or Glory, though. But yeah, DKM and Career Opportunities is a good thing. I just despise their Guns of Brixton.

And as far as Social D's Death or GLory... I really, REALLY wanted to like it. I heard part of it on the radio one day and thought it sounded okay. Then I heard the whole thing. It makes me weep.

the singles collection version with mike? yeah, that blows goats. i've seen them cover it live with al (oh noes, my street cred went out the window because i didn't see them in '96) a couple times, and while i think it sucked last year, it sounded pretty good last weekend.

i tried, too. i listened to the song 4 or 5 times in a row. it just hurts.

angel_of_L.A. said:

Dropkick Murphys - Barroom Heroes

only one hero :snob: :wink:

hey, i made a stupid mistake the other day. i definitely thought dkm's "10 years of service" was "alternative ulster". opening chord sounds quite similar (and then further along on the dkm album, you've got "going strong" and that similar damn chord again).

IWasBored said:
hay jitb, wats ur favrtit coldpl;ay and killerz songs?!?

kwick, stat a nu thread evrytime ur favrotie band plays a show!!!1!!!

or for every song :hmm:

seriously, this is getting interesting... because, well, because a list thread turn into a discussion thread
catfight.gif

Has anyone ever heard that Mission of Burma song I listed?

Because that is one awesome song.

Hell, IWB, do you like Mission of Burma? They're from down your area, aren't they?

this punk song is dedicated to I W B

Heart Attack Man - Beastie Boys - ya thats right -the beastie boys

and before ya say " they arent punk" why not takea listen

there seems to be a whole lotta GOUT RAGE at this thread

who says you have to know the whole punk catalog to enjoy a punk song..

IWB:" AHA....you pee ons you dont know true punk with your clash and sex pistols contributions- ive been there - ive been there in the drunken haristylin' haircuts and the torn puke stenched jumpers.the safety pins.
the crap relations with mom and dad
oh yes....ive been there............... and you have not because i havent seen you there but i want you to believe that i rock so much harder than you do !"

Last edited:
great contribution, carrieluvv. that really added to the actual debate about the music that IWB was having with everyone, albeit touching on getting cranky, as all involved were.

i'm going to build a mark shrine for kimmie with candles and a beach sunset backdrop.
:love:

the only punk i kind of know is that group from adelaide. what's their name? crap. anyway, they're very pop-punk anyway, so they dont count.

i cannot tell if you are in earnest or in jest.

i cant tell if you really enjoyed that contribute or were ya justbein shitty?

it dont matter cuz i aint punk enough:(

it make sme cranky and i think i need my nappy changed

theres that safety pin!

mom is mad at dad so shes using his jethro tull concert t shirt for my diaper

YIKES!

I was just channeling a baby !

I am mezmorized but then again i dont feel a thing.

ANGELA ,

I need to know how I amde ya feel girl!

Im feeling a bit of low self esteem right now and i just need a smile from someone before i get all kooky and go find some guns and dress like GI Joe and go on a hike thru LA and just act over all very scary

love,
Carrie

I am the first to admit I don't know a damn thing about punk. Though back in the day when my music taste was crappy I was into Pennywise and NOFX and all that warped tour stuff before it turned all blink182ish, it was cheap and fun. Regardless I don't know much of its origins yada yada yada I never have liked the Ramones except for maybe "I wanna live my life" and definitely can't stand the Sex Pistols [:reject:].
I think The Clash is a bit more popular around here is cause at least to my ears they're more interesting, they definitely have more funk to them and don't sound as repetitive in sound and they're lyrics are more interesting to me.

Misfits, Subhumans, Fugazi, Television, MC5, Operation Ivy...are bands I like which I think fall under the "punk" category but then again early Elvis Costello sounds punk to me.

For any spanish speaking Clash fans I suggest you download Los Fabulosos Cadillacs' fantastic cover "Revolution Rock".
:happy:

Back
Top Bottom