Your favorite bands and why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
What are your favorite bands? Or is U2 the only one? And why?
Mine, by the way, are

THE BEATLES
From 'Love Me Do' to 'I Am The Walrus'. Nobody else (apart from U2 of course) has ventured into so many genres and been good at it. Oh, and they broke up while they were still good, went out on a high note.

U2
um......okay, next

PINK FLOYD
Probably the most unique sounding classic rock, everything from psychedelic weirdness to the soothing melodies of Gilmour. Great soundtrack music and themes. Concept albums rather than hit singles.

REM
Great lyrics. I think Stipe is one of the best songwriters around. Some people say he's become pretentious. Up was the last album I heard and I liked it despite the depressing and obscure lyrics. Oh.. and gotta love that jangly guitar and Mike Mills vocals.

LED ZEPPELIN
Songs about wizards, hobbits, magical and mystical lands accompanied with some amazing guitar work and the loudest drums in the world.

PEARL JAM
Vedder's voice is gold, whether he's screaming Eeevenflowww!!! or humming a 'thumbing my way back to heaven'. Great lyrics too.

There are many more but I won't go on. :wink:

Here are a few of many favs I have:

The Cure - Extremely ecclectic. They unfairly always get nailed as being 'goth/depressing'. That's one thing they do, but it's hardly an accurate way of descriibing them as a band. Here are things they've done (and done well): punk, rock, goth, dance, sad, happy, jazz, pop, etc. Great stuff.

The Smiths - There are very few bands who ever had vocals/lyrics this good. It was Morrissey's glory days, amazing stuff. Johnny Mar just did great guitar work that totally fit with the vocals and lyrics.

The Shins - Some of the best pop around. They mix a sound that's 40 years old at the same time as being extremely modern. Enjoyable instrumentation mixed with enjoyable lyrics, cant beat that.

I know some Cure songs here and there like Friday I'm in Love or the other one that 311 covered recently. Haven't really explored them much. Same with the Smiths, although I know one obscure song of Morrissey's, The More You Ignore Me. My sister hates that one though. :wink:

ok... mine are:

U2.. of course :D

MetallicA...I like them cuz:
* Great drums and guitar
* The lyrics... They made you feel like a warrior :D
* The S&M is one of the best things I've ever heard. I love the arrangements : the music didn't lose its strenght, and the classical instruments made it more epical.

Cypress Hill
* they have that "latino" feeling which I identify with. I love when they include cuban and mexican sounds in their stuff.
* the DJ is HOT... (look my avatar :drool:)
* B real is just one of the best mcs i ever heard. he has a unique voice and his lyrics are honest, sometimes funny, sometimes full of rage.

The cure
* their music reminds me a stage of my life and i still keep some of their darkness.
* Their image and their videos are great and inspired some of my art.
* Beautiful music: full of a weird melancholy... love them

duran duran: they are my favourite band, hands down. i love their music, they just have a kickass sound. plus john is hot.

japan: they were huge pioneers for the new wave/new romantic sound. if it hadn't been for them, bands like duran duran, spandau ballet, etc. probably wouldn't exist.

inxs: they made music you can dance to, but it also had a rock edge to it.

Hey Muggsy :wave: Metallica is one of my favs too, I just didn't list them. I loved pretty much all their albums except st. anger.

KhanadaRhodes: Duran are awesome! Have you heard their latest one? I'm kinda curious about the album. INXS will always take me back to the 1992 video of Not Enough Time. Depeche Mode is another good, very unique band.

U2 - (derr)

The Pixies - Amazing energy and cool, powerful, off-the-wall songwriting. And I llooovvvvveeee Frank Black's voice. It's cool as hell.

Jimi Hendrix - (derr #2)

Modest Mouse - Cool, quirky songwriting. There's really no other band out like them (well, the Arcade Fire come close, but they're still pretty different). Most of their albums are kind of depressing and angry, but their latest album helps the balance with some happier songs.

Elliott Smith - This guy is utterly amazing. If you haven't heard any of his music yet, I highly suggest that you check it out. The guy has a great ear for melody and a voice like an angel. Just too bad he's no longer with us. :(

The Format - Great up-and-coming pop-rock group. They've only put out one album so far, but it's fantastic, and one of the only 'happy' records that I own that I find to be really great. Most of the songs are really simple, but there's a lot of passion in every one of them, which I feel makes up for it well enough.

And last...but not least...

THIRD EYE BLIND - Yeah, I've mentioned my liking them once before, and haven't seen them mentioned anywhere else on the board (in a positive way :wink: ) so I felt I needed to bring them up here - especially since they're my favorite band and everything. I'm not sure that there's really one thing that makes me like them. I guess a part of it's nostalgia, since their debut album was the first CD that I really wanted when I was a kid (erm, around 3rd grade at the time) and they were the only band I really listened to until about 3 or 4 years ago (around 6th or 7th grade). I think the singer has a great voice and that every song on their albums has a uniqueness to it - there's really no other band out there like them in my eyes (and if anyone mentions that crap band Matchbox 20, I'll have a fit :wink: ).

PLACEBO
I love everything about this band. They make rock songs that actually rock--they're edgy, the guitars are raw, and the drums are blistering. Brian Molko's clever lyrics are full of unexpected rhymes and sexual references, and the themes and emotions of the songs run the gamut so that you are never bored listening to them. Whether I relate to the lyrics or not, there is no doubt as to how Brian feels when he sings them. Placebo's ballads are beautiful. The piano and ringing guitar in 'Special Needs,' the riff of 'Burger Queen'--so simple that even I can play it, but still very elegant. Brian's voice is perhaps the most unique in all of rock music, and his style is right up there on the same level. The band put on an intense live show. If you don't know this band, I highly recommend you check them out however you can.

Last edited:
INTERPOL:
because they rock :shrug: I don't know really, just because, I love the bass lines, I love Paul's voice (stop with that Ian Curtis comparison), the lyrics are so ingenuous. They have good tunes, with a lot of influences and still, they sound like Interpol.

WILCO:
I'm actually new being a Wilco "fan", I don't have all their albums yet, (I'm poor :angry: ) but they have amazing lyrics, original music and are a solid band

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS:
because their music is a sweet mix between psychedelia, brit pop, rock, surf, prog rock, art rock, etc., they have everything. The lyrics some are beautiful and some others just hilarious

Last edited:
1. U2

2. OASIS - songs like Supersonic, Who Feels Love?, Stop cryin your heart out, Sunday Morning Call and Whatever are sensational. Live Forever is one of the great rock songs.

Definetely Maybe is a perfect album. The whole world, even the US to an extent, was wowed by What's the story (morning glory). Because even Heathen Chemistry and Standing on the shoulder of giants, two of their less well-recieved albums, have quality music. And their least appreciated album, Be Here Now, contained some outstanding tracks like Don't go away, Stand By Me, All around the world:drool: and of course D'ya Know what i mean.

In short, a band that in my view consistently dishes out good music.

Liam is one the gerat British vocalists, and Noel Gallagher is a superb all-round musician(guitar, songwriting,vocals)

U2: Yeah

The Stones: Because they refuse to die. Because they made it with pretty much nothing to reccommend them. Because they had the arrogance to label themselves The World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band and they had the balls to make it true. Because Mick and Keith embody rock 'n' roll. (Sex 'n' drugs, respectively.) Because of Beggars Banquet through Exile on Main Street. Because of Brown Sugar. Because of the riff from Satisfaction. And because they rock.

The Eagles: Because no one has ever crossed rock and country so well or so successfully. Because they have an ungodly number of great songs, released within a rather short period of time. Because Glenn Frey is from Minnesota and Don Henley is from Texas and somehow they think they're from California. Because however much you deny that you ever listen to them, you know you sing along when Witchy Woman comes on your car radio. And because I'm going to see them in two weeks. :)D)

The Who: Who's Next. Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again. Goin' Mobile, My Wife, Bargain. Because Roger Daltrey can keep saying 'I hope I die before I get old' because he won't get old until he stops believing it, and he's not going to stop believing it. Because of Pete's banjo on Squeeze Box. Because of Keith Moon's infallible logic: "If you want to make a bigger sound, you have to hit the drums harder."

Bob Dylan because he thinks he's Jesus.
Bruce Springsteen because he rocks.
Bad Company because of great vocals and kickass guitar.
Queen because Freddie Mercury was a god.
Supertramp because of Breakfast in America.
Led Zeppelin because... do I need a reason?

And probably more that I'm forgetting. Classic rock all the way, baby. :rockon:

1. Neil Young -- OK, not a band, unless it's Neil Young and
Crazy Horse, because I think he has no peers.
Nobody does what he does. Intense, raw,
biting, funny, transcendant.
2. Pearl Jam -- Honest emotion, great sound, great voice,
naked.
3. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers--Soaring fun.

Zootlesque said:
KhanadaRhodes: Duran are awesome! Have you heard their latest one? I'm kinda curious about the album.
of course! i got it the day it came out! it's really good. it's reminiscent of the earlier stuff when they were the fab five, but it is still modern. and i'm going to see them (again, saw the five of them a little over a year ago too) in two weeks. :happy:

XHendrix24 said:
THIRD EYE BLIND - Yeah, I've mentioned my liking them once before, and haven't seen them mentioned anywhere else on the board (in a positive way :wink: ) so I felt I needed to bring them up here - especially since they're my favorite band and everything. I'm not sure that there's really one thing that makes me like them. I guess a part of it's nostalgia, since their debut album was the first CD that I really wanted when I was a kid (erm, around 3rd grade at the time) and they were the only band I really listened to until about 3 or 4 years ago (around 6th or 7th grade). I think the singer has a great voice and that every song on their albums has a uniqueness to it - there's really no other band out there like them in my eyes (and if anyone mentions that crap band Matchbox 20, I'll have a fit :wink: ).

I don't care either way about 3rd eye blind or matchbox 20, but the singer from 3rd eye blind CANNOT sing live; I've seen them on at least 6 different tv shows, and each time it was embarrassing.

JOFO said:

I don't care either way about 3rd eye blind or matchbox 20, but the singer from 3rd eye blind CANNOT sing live; I've seen them on at least 6 different tv shows, and each time it was embarrassing.

Eh, I can concede to that. I think that the band does a great job live at most of the gigs, but the live singing's definately a hit-or-miss type of thing. I've heard bootlegs where it's great, I've heard bootlegs where it's embarrasing, as you said. He's not exactly Bono when it comes to live performances.

The lead singer's kind of a dick, too.

But those two things aside, I still love them. :wink:

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:
PLACEBO
I love everything about this band. They make rock songs that actually rock--they're edgy, the guitars are raw, and the drums are blistering. Brian Molko's clever lyrics are full of unexpected rhymes and sexual references, and the themes and emotions of the songs run the gamut so that you are never bored listening to them. Whether I relate to the lyrics or not, there is no doubt as to how Brian feels when he sings them. Placebo's ballads are beautiful. The piano and ringing guitar in 'Special Needs,' the riff of 'Burger Queen'--so simple that even I can play it, but still very elegant. Brian's voice is perhaps the most unique in all of rock music, and his style is right up there on the same level. The band put on an intense live show. If you don't know this band, I highly recommend you check them out however you can.

I agree - I like Placebo's music and their lyrics are strong. Not too sure about Brian's voice being particularly unique, though: Suede, Mansun etc (all of whom we're emulating Bowie)...

D'oh! said:
1. U2

2. OASIS - songs like Supersonic, Who Feels Love?, Stop cryin your heart out, Sunday Morning Call and Whatever are sensational. Live Forever is one of the great rock songs.

Definetely Maybe is a perfect album. The whole world, even the US to an extent, was wowed by What's the story (morning glory). Because even Heathen Chemistry and Standing on the shoulder of giants, two of their less well-recieved albums, have quality music. And their least appreciated album, Be Here Now, contained some outstanding tracks like Don't go away, Stand By Me, All around the world:drool: and of course D'ya Know what i mean.

In short, a band that in my view consistently dishes out good music.

Liam is one the gerat British vocalists, and Noel Gallagher is a superb all-round musician(guitar, songwriting,vocals)

I like Oasis too - but if I'd being playing guitar for almost 30 years, like Noel has, I'd expect to be a hell of a lot more skillful and unique than he is at this stage.

I'm going to run away now.

Back
Top Bottom