Your favorite (and non-favorite) movie endings....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungBono

Refugee
My enjoyment of a movie is enhanced by a very good plot ending which leaves me either happy or sad.

Here are some of my favorite movie endings:

1. Aliens - Ripley's kick-ass battle with the alien queen.

2. Jaws - Brody blows that MUTHA out of the water.

3. Priscilla Queen of the desert - everyone is where they belong.

4. Muriel's Wedding - acceptance and fresh starts.

5. Hostel - The bad guys got exactly what they deserve (and THEN some.....lol).

6. United 93 - everyone dies but at least they took the bastards with them!

7. Speed - Dennis Hopper should have been SHORTER.....lol.

8. The Devil Wears Prada - there's more to life than the "dream job".

9. Notting Hill - ahhhh the fan and the movie star - Julia and Hugh sitting on a bench with Julia's belly protruding....how romantic.

10. Gone With The Wind - the last line is one of hope for a new tomorrow....I LOVE that.

My non-favorite movie endings (not giving them away - just commenting on them).

1. Easy Rider - WTF was THAT??????? That TOTALLY SUCKED!!

2. Titanic - nuff said?

3. Silence Of The Lambs - tsk tsk.

4. United 93 - No happy ending.

5. The Others - you kind of wish that it was different.

6. King Kong - it wasn't really his fault......

7. Jurassic Park - If only Nedry had been a nice guy.......

8. Godzilla - see No.6.

9. First Blood - see No. 6 - it REALLY wasn't his fault......

10. The Boys From Brazil - make you wish it almost DID happen like that because the reality was not what he deserved.

So there you have it - my favs and non-favs - what are yours?

FAVORITE: The Shawshank Redemption (The single most bittersweet story ever told, brings me to tears every time, both of joy and sadness)

LEAST FAVORITE: (much harder to pick, since I tend to forget bad movies, so I'll pick the worst ending of a movie I actually really like) Boondock Saints. Now listen, this is seriously one of my all time favorite movies, but given the caliber of the rest of the film, I just feel a tad let down by the ending. It could have been a true classic like Reservoir Dogs or Empire Strikes Back or something, but it just kind of ended Okay. The "twist" wasn't very compelling, and the movie suddenly got more serious than it ever had been in the final scenes. And I really don't care for the "citizen testimonials" during the credits. I just feel it's unnecessary and that the movie can handle the message on its own. Plus, I heard they might be making a sequel, which just makes my stomach turn. I almost wish more main characters had died just so this wasn't true.

In the end though, this is a FANTASTIC film, one of my favorites, it's just that a different/better ending could have propelled it into the statosphere of cinema excellence.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The single greatest ending of all time:

The Usual Suspects.

:yes:

Least favourite : The Sixth's Sense, yes it was compelling the 1st time I saw it but then it gave rise to Shyamalan thinking he can make a career out of surprise endings.... :mad:

Best Ending: Arlington Road - just BOOM it hits you in the face and you think THANK YOU for a non hollywood ending

Worst Ending; Terminator 2 yeah thats right melt down the thing that caused all that damage. You've killed people, blown up a whole lot of shit and busted ya psycho mum from the hospital - and then the only thing you can blame it on you melt....so basically now you're fucked. i'm amazed he was alive for the 3rd one.

The worst ending ever - The Village (with joaquin phoenix). Its a pretty crap film throughout, but the ending is so abrupt it only served to confuse me further!

The best ending ever - The green mile. How hilarious is it that the mouse is STILL alive after all those years?!

Re: Re: Your favorite (and non-favorite) movie endings....

bono_man2002 said:

What Happend at the End Of That? (Thats the one with Nicole Kidman yeah?)...I forget what happens!

Sorry.....you'll have to TORTURE me to get me to reveal the ending......:wink: ...it's one of those movies.

Let's just say that when you THINK you know what's happening, you get a twist that is TOTALLY unexpected.

Re: Re: Re: Your favorite (and non-favorite) movie endings....

AchtungBono said:

Sorry.....you'll have to TORTURE me to get me to reveal the ending......:wink: ...it's one of those movies.

Let's just say that when you THINK you know what's happening, you get a twist that is TOTALLY unexpected.

Does it turn out that they are actually dead?, I think I'm right...If I Am...yeah I agree, its a terrible ending!..

If not, I'm looking like quite the fool right now :wink:

Worst Ending: So many to choose from :hmm: I think Donnie Darko wins it, that movie is horrific from start to finish.

Best movie endings: Love Actually, Notting Hill, Amelie...I'm a sucker for those types of flicks.

Someone (myself actually :giggle: ) ruined the end of the Usual Suspects for me :grumpy: I had no idea there was a twist, and I was on a Kevin Spacey kick at the time (now he's my favorite actor so I'm ALWAYS on a Kevin Spacey kick) and I saw it was on but only had 30 minutes left, but I was like, eh, kevin's kevin, and watched it from there. Later when I finally watched it all the way through I was like, "This was probably an amazing ending." :sigh:

anyways, I love the end to American Beauty, because you know through the whole thing that he was gonna die at the end, and yet you are STILL sad when it happens

And even if I'm the only person who likes the movie, I think the end of Pay it Forward was beautiful with the song, and the flowers and such.

Ok they're not ALL Kevin Spacey movies I promise

The end to Michael Collins makes me cry every time when Julia Roberts is trying on her Wedding Dress, and other stuff is going on that effect said wedding (don't wanna say what happens)

And....movies i hate the ending of

Probably no one has seen it but there is a Liam Neeson movie called Under Suspicion (i think that's the name of it) and it is SUCH a bad ending, cause it was like the third plot twist in 2 minutes...bad bad bad

And I myself didn't like the end to Love Actually (even if it is one of my favorite movies). First of all there were two alternate endings, and both of them were so sweet. Also, I hated that we never find out what happens in at least three different relationships.

I could go on and on, perhaps I'll post more later

oh oh oh, I just remembered another...

Dead Poet's Society, when Ethan Hawke stands on his desk and says 'Oh Captain My Captain', and then some of the other students do so as well, and then Robin Williams stand at the door and says 'Thank You Boys, Thank You' (all to the beautiful music of Jarre) :drool:

I love open endings, but not overtly obvious lame ones.

A good example would be the ending to Back to the Future Part II. It always gives me chills of sweet nostalgia.

"I'm back from the future"
"Great Scott!"

*faints*

Lila64 said:

Dead Poet's Society, when Ethan Hawke stands on his desk and says 'Oh Captain My Captain', and then some of the other students do so as well, and then Robin Williams stand at the door and says 'Thank You Boys, Thank You' (all to the beautiful music of Jarre) :drool:
Westport said:
Field of Dreams:yes::sad:

Those are two of my favorites as well :yes:

This movie was a masterpiece! So friggin compelling...I bet I've seen it 20 times...it's in my top five, at the very least. I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan, and for once, saw the movie before reading the book. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, run right out and get it NOW. :bow:

Lancemc said:
FAVORITE: The Shawshank Redemption (The single most bittersweet story ever told, brings me to tears every time, both of joy and sadness)

Lila64 said:

:yes: Beautiful moment.

American History X - Danny getting shot in the bathroom and Derek holding his body and crying and wailing 'what did I do, oh god, what did I do'.

It's a powerful scene that really brings the point of the film home: that violence begets violence, that violence works in cycles, and that violence will never solve a damn thing.

Incidentally, the movie originally had a different ending, where, after Danny dies, we see Derek shaving his head again. If they had used this ending instead of the one they did use, they would've given up one of the best endings for one of the worst, as the head-shaving scene would negate the entire point of the entire film.

Lara Mullen said:
Worst Ending: So many to choose from :hmm: I think Donnie Darko wins it, that movie is horrific from start to finish.

I :heart: that film, and I think the ending suited it. As a happy ending would have been too unbelievable!

Usual Suspects' ending was too predictable, but good movie nonetheless, same goes for The Inside Man.

Shawshank was brilliant!

I enjoy the endings to 21 grams, Memento, American Beauty, Big Fish..and a lot more that I can't think of.

Back
Top Bottom