Your favorite albums of first quarter 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Yes, believe it or not, the first quarter of 2005 is already over. What are your favorite releases so far? I must know. I must know!!!!!!

Here are mine (no particular order):

The Decemberists - 'Picaresque'
Low - 'The Great Destroyer'
Bloc Party - 'Silent Alarm'
Doves - 'Some Cities'
M83 - 'Before the Dawn Heals Us'
Hot Hot Heat - 'Elevator'
Idlewild - 'Warnings/Promises'
Morrissey - 'Live at Earls Court'
Mogwai - 'Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996-2003'

umh

Hood - Outside Closer
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Doves - Some Cities
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Idlewild - Warning/Promises

possibly:
Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze
Copeland - In Motion

and I'm not sure about:
The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

Last edited:
far from finished - east side of nowhere
street dogs - back to the world
agnostic front - another voice
the pubcrawlers - another night on the floor
roger miret & the disasters - 1984
the methadones - not economically viable

i think there have been some other things that i've missed, or i haven't listed because i haven't bought them yet.

looking forward to:new springsteen, new ramallah, new.......i could have sworn there was another thing. i can't remember.

u2popmofo said:

I need to get that.

yes, you really do. i still don't think i like it as much as 'savin hill', but it is good.

darkbuster. i want to hear the new darkbuster...that was what the 3rd thing i'm looking forward to is.

u2popmofo said:

I finally reviewed the concert of their's I went to. See journal. :up:

great review :up: I want to see them live... someday, when pigs fly or when I have money, whatever happens first

Rapture - Silent Stage
Dark Suns - Existence
Darkseed - Ultimate Darkness
Paradise Lost - (self titled album) <------u2popmofo I highly recommend you these goth metal gods!! :wink:

Bunbury said:

Paradise Lost - (self titled album) <------u2popmofo I highly recommend you these goth metal gods!! :wink:

I will take note! Get that Dream Evil album yet? :wink:

SPOON'S NEW ALBUM LEAKED?

THAT IS SO FUCKING AWESOME.

(Edit: But to answer your question, most of the albums I've gotten this year were released last year--still catching up--but the Fiery Furnaces and Iron and Wine stick out in my mind for releasing two excellent EPs.)

Last edited:
paint it black - paradise
comeback kid - [i'm drawing a blank on what the album is called]

and i'm not sure if it counts, but i'd include the dropkick murphys' singles collection II, even though technically all those songs have been out before 2005...

I've only bought 'Some Cities' this year...:reject:

edit: although in my defence, i am planning on purchasing most of the albums listed here...and perhaps the beekeper.

Last edited:
Iron and Wine- Woman King EP
The Decemberists- Picaresque
Spoon- Gimme Fiction
Final Fantasy- Has a good home
The Headphones- (self titled)
M. Ward- Transistor Radio
Josh Rouse- Nashville

Im sure there are others...

I haven't bought the Idlewild album yet. I hate being poor. :mad:

I've only bought three new albums this year. :reject: But I love them!

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Bright Eyes - Digital Ash In A Digital Urn
Brendan Benson - The Alternative To Love

I'd say British Sea Power - Open Season, but that came in early April.

So I have to say...
01. Doves - Some Cities
02. Louis XIV - The Best Little Secrets Are Kept
03. New Order - Waiting For The Sirens' Call

I don't know if the Louis XIV is actually out though...

The Spoon album is amazing, but technically it's not supposed to be out yet so I don't know if it can be counted as a 1st quarter release.

I also have the new Sleater-Kinney and I think it's their best work yet. Best thing this year for me so far.

In addition to those two:

Beck--Guero
Keren Ann--Nolita

If you haven't heard Keren Ann she's fucking amazing. Israeli born, raised in Paris, multi-instrumentalist. Her first two albums were in French, last one was all in English and this one's about 60% English. Sounds a bit like Mazzy Star combined with Norah Jones but she's better than both of them. Great voice, great songwriter. Go to Amazon.com and read the reviews, or check her website www.kerenann.com

laz

The Beekeeper by Tori Amos is my favorite of this year so far. :up:

I've also enjoyed Push the Button by The Chemical Brothers. And I'm really looking forward to getting the new Stereophonics. I suspect it will be pretty cool. :)

gah. i've been meaning to respond to this thread, but i can't stop listening to arcade fire, interpol and stars - all from 2004. :|

i guess honourable mentions for this year would include ones that have already been mentioned:

doves - some cities
hot hot heat - elevator
the decemberists - picaresque
m ward - transistor radio

i just got final fantasy, i'll have to give that a thorough listening. and while i like the new tori, i'm not sure i like it enough to say it's one of my favourites.

i just wish broken social scene would freakin' hurry up and release 'windsurfing nation' already! :angry:

u2valleygirl said:
What kind of music is Spoons. I have never heard of this group before.

Pretty hard to describe. They're indie rock by record label, but they're classic rock and roll to me (I don't mean classic rock in the genre sense). Beatles influences, some detect some Elvis Costello.

The best thing to do is go to Amazon.com and read the reviews people put up, sometimes there's an editor's review as well. Plus there's usually song clips you can listen to. Or you can go to a website like www.pitchforkmedia.com that has a lot of record reviews. The people at Pitchfork are indie rock snobs but they LOVE Spoon.

laz

i guess nobody here likes moby

but i like moby's hotel

i like it, i like it a lot

Back
Top Bottom